Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Also need "at goal' mentor!

I have been banded for 11 months. I have lost 90 pounds since surgery and 55 pounds preparing for surgery. I would like to mentor someone who has to lose 100 pounds or more.

I am a 46 year old woman. I have been married for 21 years and have an 18 year old disabled son. I am a high school anatomy teacher. I have been teaching for 16 years. I live in western MA. I have lost 144 pounds from a high of 330. My goal is to wear a size 12 and am within 20 pounds of this goal.

I am also concerned about my approaching maintenance and coud use a wise experienced buddy to guide me.

Trystelle,

I was banded 2 months ago and I've lost 20 pounds so far. I feel like I should have lost more by now, but I know I can't compare myself to others. I've had 3 fills already (5.2cc in a 10cc band) but I don't feel like I have good restriction. I'm able to eat pretty much anything and I'm frequently hungry.

My surgery day weight was 326. My goal is 135 to 150. I may change that as I get nearer. I'm already feeling better in many ways and my blood pressure has returned to normal.

But I get easily discouraged because I want it to happen yesterday!! I need someone to encourage and support me on this journey.

Thanks.

Jan from KY

Hi Trystelle,

Great job on the weight loss and thanks for being willing to help others reach their goals.

I was banded a couple of years ago, things went pretty well at first however I have let other family problems/issues distract me from paying attention to my own goals.

I think it would be very encouraging and helpful to have someone to help me stay focused on my own weight loss journey. I am a working mom (4 kids ages 7-27), married for 28 years and I live in eastern MA. Any tips you want to share will be very much appeciated.

Thanks

fancypants

Trystelle,

I was banded 2 months ago and I've lost 20 pounds so far. I feel like I should have lost more by now, but I know I can't compare myself to others. I've had 3 fills already (5.2cc in a 10cc band) but I don't feel like I have good restriction. I'm able to eat pretty much anything and I'm frequently hungry.

My surgery day weight was 326. My goal is 135 to 150. I may change that as I get nearer. I'm already feeling better in many ways and my blood pressure has returned to normal.

But I get easily discouraged because I want it to happen yesterday!! I need someone to encourage and support me on this journey.

Thanks.

Jan from KY

Hi- 20 pounds is awesome. That is more than 2 pounds a week. I started at 330 and set a number goal of 150-but I thnk I am going to stop at size 12. Maybe you could choose a size goal instead of a weight goal.

I have a 10 cc band also and have between 6 and 7 cc's for good restriction. I didn't really get good restriction until my 4th or 5th time. I try to eat solid Protein and avoid things high in sugar. This seems to help with hunger. You will get to a good place. I am at the place know where I think I want to eat something (head hunger) and I can't because I am still full from my last meal.

Set mini goals for yourself. An idea I used was to get a "prize" every time I get into a new decade. Almost every prize was something fitness related. New sneakers, pedometer, exercise suit. It kept things fun.

Have you started exercising yet? This is really important. What kinds of exercise do you like?

You have had a great start and are fully equipped to be successful. Be patient with the process-it can be frustratingly slow. Try to remember that you band isn't going away. It will be there helping you next week and next year. The weight doesn't need to be lost quickly. Listen to your body and it will take you in the right direction.

Edited by trystelle

Hi Trystelle,

Great job on the weight loss and thanks for being willing to help others reach their goals.

I was banded a couple of years ago, things went pretty well at first however I have let other family problems/issues distract me from paying attention to my own goals.

I think it would be very encouraging and helpful to have someone to help me stay focused on my own weight loss journey. I am a working mom (4 kids ages 7-27), married for 28 years and I live in eastern MA. Any tips you want to share will be very much appeciated.

Thanks

fancypants

Hey I am originally from eastern MA too! I was born and raised in Fall River.

It is so hard when things get in your way-I work full time, have an autistic son and my husband has major health issues. I know how it goes. But you know-I am learning how to be more selfish. It is so hard for women in our position to make our selves a priority. I try to remember that I have to get healthy because my son needs me. Long term-taking care of me is going to make his life better. Same with your kids!

Get to your docs-get a fill-use an online program to record everything you put in your mouth! If you are not exercising-start. Keep track of your exercise also. Make sure you burn more calories than you eat. I know you know all of this already but we have to remember to make ourselves and our health the number one priority! You can do this!

I haven't started a regular exercise program yet, as I also have fibromyalgia and severe arthritis in my left knee, but I am doing more around the house and walking more. We also are buying back a recumbent bike we sold a few years ago. I think I can do that since it's seated. I can't wait to get it - it will be placed where I have to pass it to get to the kitchen!

I'm glad you mentioned how many fills you had before you got good restriction. Mind you, I'm not HAPPY about it (ha) but I'm pretty sure I'm going to need several more before I get there. I still have no real restriction after my third fill. My doctor thinks he's being pretty aggressive with the amount he's filling, .6cc each time, but I'm ready for more.

Did your doctor ever remove Fluid before putting in new to make sure your band was holding it all, i.e., no leaking? If I don't get restriction in a few months, I wonder if I should ask for a fill under fluoroscope?

Thanks for being here.

Jan

Hi Again-My doctor put in about 2 ml at a time if I wasn't feeling restriction. Even now for a tweak he puts in .4. I think your doc may be more conservative than most. I can't tell you about flouro because I have never used it-but if it will give you peace of mind I would go ahead and ask. My doc only withdrew the Fluid a couple of times in the beginning. He just adds now. Our conversations last 10 times longer than the fill itself because he is quick and comfortable-always gets the port on the first shot! Have you discussed your concerns with your doc?

Thanks for the encouragement! Your'e right I do know all the things I should be doing...sometimes as you say it is hard to be selfish and put ourselves first. I am trying to do this more now and I know taking care of myself means I can do better job of taking care of my family. I also have a son with autism (his actual diagnosis is Aspergers) which we learned soon after my banding. His issues became the priority especially since my husband is not really very supportive or helpful regarding the diagnosis. As time goes on the therapy appointments, after school social groups and the uncreased need for help has become routine, now I NEED to put myself back into the equation so I can have the energy to keep doing the best for all of us.

AS far as the flouroscope that jkhawk had mentioned...it is just an aid in helping them find the port. If the Dr can withdraw Fluid then he has hit the port and flouro is not neccesary. With me when I finally went back for my second fill I had regained the weight I had lost so they needed the help to find/reach the port. It is kind of interesting to be able to watch what they are doing as it is happening.

Have a good day, and thanks for being here to help.

Nancy(fancypants)

Trystelle,

Thanks.

Jan from KY

i understand you very well. i have been band a month lost 26 pounds plus 12 before surgery but i still feel lost i need a mentor it nice to be able to talk to people who been there donr that. now this may sound goofy but how often should i weigh my self weekly or bi-weekly ??

i understand you very well. i have been band a month lost 26 pounds plus 12 before surgery but i still feel lost i need a mentor it nice to be able to talk to people who been there donr that. now this may sound goofy but how often should i weigh my self weekly or bi-weekly ??

I still struggle with how often to weigh. I should probably only weigh once a week, because there's so much fluctuation from day to day. And during the weight loss phase, weighing more often can be depressing. On the other hand, if we see a weight loss from one day to the next, it might give us liberty to have "just one more bite" that we don't really need. I think once I get to my goal, I'll probably weigh more often to head off any slight gains. Jan

I weigh every day and record it into a graph. I don't worry if I go up and down a little from day to day as long as the trend is in the right direction.

Donna