Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

considering getting banded, but....

The hospital I went to does both LapBand and GBP surgeries. On one of my first consultations they wanted to talk about which I should choose. In my case they would have been fine with either but typically if rapid weight loss is needed because of health issues they would suggest GBP instead of LabBand just to get the weight down as fast as possible. I don't think they would force one way or the other but they would make a suggestion based on comorbidities (diabetes, sleep apnea, joint pain, high blood pressure). So I think that is something to think about as well.

Even with my weight being so high I was recommended getting lapband because I am younger and the slower weightloss will cause less complications with my skin etc. Plus there's no way in hell I would reroute my intestines/stomach. I was offered bypass at a young age and said hell no even when lapband wasn't around. lol

For me, I was looking for the positive...not the negative. I knew in my gut that this is what was best for me and I stuck with it.

I knew that the band was a tool and I have treated it as such, as soon as I feel at all loose, I schedule a fill. I work out and only have Water.

I was banded on 12/12 and am down 70 pounds. I only have 27 more to get to my goal of 130. If you want it bad enough, you bust your tail and you will get it! I started with a size 22 pant and am wearing 10/12 now. In 6 months...it is pretty remarkable!

Good luck with your decision..I chose the band...Oct of 2007 and I had a friend that had gastric bypass 2 weeks later...I have lost 60 + pds and she has lost 100 pds...so far...you do lose faster..however I can eat whatever the resterant or at home....serves and she sits there and drinks Water because she is afraid she will get sick in public...so I think GBS is a definate quick fix to lose weight fast however I have seen co-workers gain it all back if you do not change your eating patterns... with the lapband its a tool and it helps me eat less....good luck...

thank you so much every one. when I really sit down to cosider it, the only reason I would even cosider the GPS for a split second, it because of the rapid weight loss But ya'll are right, this is a tool and I do want this badly enough to get this tool, and make it work for me. I want to be healthy, not just for the first year or 2 after surgery (as are most GPS patients) but I want to be healthy for the rest of my life, and I want control over my weight, not the other way around. With the band it is adjustable, it is meant to stay in there permamanently (although I have read some need to be replaced after 15 years) and with this band I can loose this weight, win the battle and be healthy. Thank you so much to everyone who posted theirn opinion. You have all been a big help! :biggrin2:

Hi,

I wish you the best in your decision making process. I was banded 2/27/08 and have lost 30 pounds (218 to 188). I feel great. The beginning was very tough before you get the necessary fills to feel restricted and even now I know I get a lot more hungry than my bypass friends. In my opinion, you have to work harder with the band. I'm pretty happy with my choice considering that I didn't have that much to lose (relatively speaking) and I have two little kids so I wanted NO death risk.

If I was anywhere near 300 pounds, however (and I don't know if you are), I would most definitely do the bypass. Don't even waste your time on the band !!! The bypass is the way to go for large amounts of weight loss. This is just my opinion. My sister in law had the bypass and went from 275 to 115 then up to 140 where she has stayed permanent for the last 4 years. She never exercises but she is good about staying away from sweets. All in all, I think she has had to suffer less than what I am going through to lose less weight. If I had to do it all over again, I might have had the bypass if I hadn't been so do gone scared of it.

Also, I don't know if this is true but I have heard that people who regain their weight on the bypass can have it done again. I think they can go back in there an tighten everything up (but ask your doctor). Remember with the band something can go wrong and you may need to have it taken out (my doctor says rare but it DOES happen).

Good luck to ya

Hi,

I wish you the best in your decision making process. I was banded 2/27/08 and have lost 30 pounds (218 to 188). I feel great. The beginning was very tough before you get the necessary fills to feel restricted and even now I know I get a lot more hungry than my bypass friends. In my opinion, you have to work harder with the band. I'm pretty happy with my choice considering that I didn't have that much to lose (relatively speaking) and I have two little kids so I wanted NO death risk.

If I was anywhere near 300 pounds, however (and I don't know if you are), I would most definitely do the bypass. Don't even waste your time on the band !!! The bypass is the way to go for large amounts of weight loss. This is just my opinion. My sister in law had the bypass and went from 275 to 115 then up to 140 where she has stayed permanent for the last 4 years. She never exercises but she is good about staying away from sweets. All in all, I think she has had to suffer less than what I am going through to lose less weight. If I had to do it all over again, I might have had the bypass if I hadn't been so do gone scared of it.

Also, I don't know if this is true but I have heard that people who regain their weight on the bypass can have it done again. I think they can go back in there an tighten everything up (but ask your doctor). Remember with the band something can go wrong and you may need to have it taken out (my doctor says rare but it DOES happen).

Good luck to ya

I think it's all in one's heart and mind whether to choose the GBPS or the Lap-Band. There are plenty of people here who have needed to lose plenty of weight and weighed even in the 400's and have been successful with weight loss. I even know of a few in my group meetings who have needed to lose over 200+ lbs. with the band or something similar.