Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

help....I'm feeling miserable after my first fill

Help. I need to hear from people. I had my first fill. I was too tight for 4ccs, so I had two. I know the fills tend to be tighter the first few days- or at least that's what I've been told. And the surgoeon told me to come back in a month, but don't make a fill appointment because he thinks I won't need one for some time.

Is it normal to get not much down, even liquids for a couple of days? When I sip (not drink, sip) I feel it go down and then get a tiny, milisecond of a something- spasm maybe, or a little gurgle. Just a fleeting feeling. And after a few ounces that I drink very slowly my stomach is uncomfortable. Not pain, but an ache. Is this usual. Is that ache and discomfort what "full" feels like now?

Also, and this may just be me.....I had some discomfort lower stomach which was relieved when I took a bowel movement. Is this common too?

When the fill feels tight, does it soften over the first few days - right now, I can't imagine ever eating again. It's worse than after the surgery because I was losing, and not eating much a it was. After surgery I felt like I was going forward. Tonight I feel like I'll fail.

I went back to work today, and worked a fundraising event. I'm very tired, cranky and don't feel good. It feels like it won't get better.

Is this normal?

Thanks for listening. Please share your thoughts............ does this sound normal, and how long does it usually last like this?

Edited by gdf18

The first few days after a fill you should be on liquids or very soft food. Your stomach gets 'bruised' a bit and the scar tissue rearranged from the fill. It doesnt appreciate being filled up or having hard stuff pushed thru it right after the fill. It gets better after a few days. If you are overfull... you will know it. As to the little gurgle... you have liquid/semi liquid going thru a small hole. The liquid displaces air from the lower areas which comes back up thru the hole. Turn a full coke can (diet coke of course) upside down... the liquid doesnt come out in a smooth stream... air has to go into the can which interrupts the outward flow...

As Jack said.. listen to your stomach. Stop eating when you feel even the slightest bit full. Eat slow so you can anticipate when to stop. If you go too fast, the bite that fills your stomach may be hitting it when you have two more coming down the chute.... and of course... chew chew chew. You cant get boulders down a little hole.

Edited by dsk

THANK YOU BOTH SOOOO MUCH.

Everything's so new. I'm so happy you knew what I was describing in the little gurgle/spasm thing. Knowing it will either go away or I'll stop noticing really helps. I'm trying to keep drinking. Not easy because I'm not hungry or thirsty much. I get in a few Protein sips and then don't want anything. From what I hear....that will pass as well.

It's the pyschological part that's hardest. I felt like I was just starting to eat a balanced diet after 6 weeks (my surg is one who does 3 weeks of liquid after banding) and even then, I was eating very small amounts as I became full quickly. So now it feels backwards.

Just needed to know all is normal. I'm on second day of liquids only and will begin to add a little pulverized food tomorrow.

And yes, sipping very slowly and waiting in between sips. The surgeon said I can start taking one of my meds in pill form again, and that's scary but I'm going to do it with warm Water, which I hear goes through easier.

Thank you so much.

THANK YOU BOTH SOOOO MUCH.

Everything's so new. I'm so happy you knew what I was describing in the little gurgle/spasm thing. Knowing it will either go away or I'll stop noticing really helps. I'm trying to keep drinking. Not easy because I'm not hungry or thirsty much. I get in a few Protein sips and then don't want anything. From what I hear....that will pass as well.

It's the pyschological part that's hardest. I felt like I was just starting to eat a balanced diet after 6 weeks (my surg is one who does 3 weeks of liquid after banding) and even then, I was eating very small amounts as I became full quickly. So now it feels backwards.

Just needed to know all is normal. I'm on second day of liquids only and will begin to add a little pulverized food tomorrow.

And yes, sipping very slowly and waiting in between sips. The surgeon said I can start taking one of my meds in pill form again, and that's scary but I'm going to do it with warm Water, which I hear goes through easier.

Thank you so much.

Getting full quickly is exactly what you want.... I know what you mean about it only taking so little food. They stress to us in the early post surgery phase to get 60g of Protein every day and sip sip sip but when the band kicks in.... wow. The key now is to eat your protein first and take your Vitamins and exercise and when your stomach signals you to stop.. STOP. Also take plenty of Water but not when you eat (at least 30 min before or after). Your lower GI will thank your for it by avoiding rock hard stool. Of course... normal disclaimer... your doctor is the boss. His counsel overrides mine :tongue2:

Just hard today to take in Water and Protein Drinks. I am feeling a little better. Had my first pill since surgery. My surgeon likes all crushable or chews but I had bowel issues with the substitute drug (prevecid) so I got an okay to go back to my little protonix. WOW. Everyone says they take pills, but no one told me it could sit at the top of the stomach for 45 minutes and that I'd feel it there. And then suddenly, whoosh, like it was flushed, and it was gone. So strange and funny.

It's gonna be hard to go to mushies, but I'm game. A tiny bit at a time and chew even the mushies. Wait a few minutes between swallow. I'm so there!

Thanks again.

And the Water is filling, too. Can't drink too much today. Hope my body forgives me.I usually get in 8 cups or so a day.

Everyone is probably a little different in what they feel after a fill. I'm always pretty tight the first couple of days and it takes a while to get things like Protein Shakes down simply because they are filling. When I drink Clear Liquids, I gurgle the first few days. I also have a problem with a bloated, gassy feeling. I don't know why, but I don't feel good the first couple of days after. Most others tell me they go to work right after because they don't really feel anything. It doesn't keep me from doing what I need to do, I just don't feel well. I'm also always dizzy for a little while. I can get liquids down fine so I don't think it's an issue of being too tight. My doc says liquids the day of a fill and mushies the next, but I always have to do at least two days of mostly liquids if not three because I feel so bloated. Anyway, that's my experience.

I'm right there with you. Yesterday I started to feel good, and today it's difficult again. Yesterday, my protonix went right down and in, today it's sitting for a bit and annoying me. My doc says two days liquid and 2 mushie/soft and I'm now on soft day #2 but I can see I'll be here for a little bit. Today it's been hard to get food down. I just had some fat free milk as they doesn't bother me (lactose reduced) and I get liquid and Protein. Had a greek yogurt for Breakfast. I'm going to someone's home for dinner (I sure don't feel like it), but happily, they're having fish and soup- a lite supper- so that should work. And I do get hungry.

Thanks for sharing.

Gwenn