Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did your Boss or Coworkers treat you better after weightloss?

I am a Project Manager and have noticed that other PMs who I work with (who are skinny and pretty) get away with doing so much less than I do, yet they get paid a lot more money than me. The pay thing I will take on, but the whole insidious attitude thing, just grates on me.:thumbup:

So I am curious how weight loss impacted others attitude towards you (both good and bad).

Get real...it's like that for all of us. I can guarantee you that it's like that for every fat working person in America. While it can't be proven, I believe, obesity is the last stone wall of discrimination. So, if you can't beat em (I'm not going to try) join em and get happy while you're doing it.

Not everybody at work knows about me getting the band, but those who do are extremely supportive. They are all keeping track of my progress right along with me and can't wait to hear how things went when I get back from my dr's visits. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones..

I am a Project Manager and have noticed that other PMs who I work with (who are skinny and pretty) get away with doing so much less than I do, yet they get paid a lot more money than me. The pay thing I will take on, but the whole insidious attitude thing, just grates on me.:confused:

So I am curious how weight loss impacted others attitude towards you (both good and bad).

I believe discriminating against an over weight person is the last acceptable form of discrimination. It's disgusting and horrifying, but nonetheless, takes place in almost every office (to some degree).

No one at my office has said one word about my weightloss. Kind of a bummer, but oh well. No one knows that I had WLS, but you can still tell I've lost weight. Actually it's weird. I've only lost 41 pounds (since November 2007 to date), but my body has really slimmed down. My sister, who knows what I weigh, told me yesterday that I looked like I was 170 pounds. She couldn't believe how small I looked (I still weigh so heavy though!! But I always have. I say it's my big bones that weigh so much! LOL), so I know others notice, but no one says a word.

I have noticed that the guys in the office are paying more attention. Double takes, more eye contact, etc. I'm a pretty outgoing person so I've never been a wallflower or easy to ignore, but I'm noticing it more now that just the guys are treating me with more recognition.

I know this is something I'll need to deal with - not the extra attention, but the pissed off feeling that I'm sure to feel when I start getting treated better than I used to be.

We have some self-proclaimed 'hotties' in the office and they're treated very well - high pay for no work - and everyone just accepts it. I'm curious to see how this is going to play out. I'm paid a decent wage and I work very hard (and a lot), so I'm curious to know if expectations of me will change when my body is thinner and dare I say, hotter? LOL

Every now and again I ask my husband what he's going to do when he has a smokin' hot wife and he always responds with, "I already have one".

I love that man.

LOL. I had to laugh at this one. the women in my office say absolutely nothing about my 56 pound loss. It's obvious, but nothing is said. I take it as jealousy and nothing more. That's fine. It's their problem. The men have always been nice, but they are even nicer now. As for my boss? He has been nice to me for over a year, but just recently decided that my Program Coordinator position that is grant funded should only be an officer manager position after the grant is done, and cut my pay in the budget by 25% !!!!!!!!!! WTF??????? I was stunned. So he definately hasn't been nicer, he's more horrible!

Your boss may just be a tool, plain and simple. Sorry for the pay cut. That stinks.

Maybe a new job is in your future? I know once I get around my goal, I'm going to look for a new job. Just because I can. It'll be interesting to see if there are changes in how I'm interviewed, spoken to, etc.

It's exciting!

I am a PM too and I find that there are just lazy people all around in general who get away with a lot whether they are overweight or normal weight.

I can tell you that I think I am taken more seriously at this current weight and when I weighed my current weight a few years ago I did receive multiple promotions. I was shocked last year when at 300 lbs someone called to give me a job offer based on a 1 hour meeting I had in Europe. I thought for sure that being fat would have totally cause discrimination, but in this case it didn't.

Just wait until people start talking to you about fat people (because they think they can bc you aren't fat). It's awful. My husband said it will happen soon. The other day a co-worker told me that he wouldn't date this girl bc she was fat. I doubt he would have told me that if I was still 85 lbs heavier....