Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded on March 27th of this year. I have been exercising, and I am doing well with my weight loss, but strangely enough, my energy level has drastically declined. There are times I am so physically AND mentally wiped out that I can barely finish a sentence. It is so frustrating, and so I called my doctor, but he will be out until Thursday of this week for emergency surgeries, so I wanted to get some opinions. Anyone else go through this??? :eek:

I have experienced such an escalation in energy - that is one of the things that first amazed me about having the band. Prior to the band I was sluggish and feeling so lethargic. I hope you can find a definitive answer and share it with the rest of the board - I certainly don't want my energy level to disappear!!

I definetely will keep ym blog updated when I find something out. It is VERY ironic to me as well that my energy level has DE-escalated rather than escalate. And I just dont feel good...it sucks because this is such a cool time in my life with the weight loss.

I dont have much energy at all,I tried mowing my yard today and that drained me.

Check to see if you need a B=12 shot. My daughter started getting them after she was banded and said it made a huge difference in her energy level.

Are you drinking plenty of Water? Dehydration can do that to you, too.

Are you getting enough Protein? While it doesn't inherently give you energy if you aren't getting enough you body will go into an energy saving mode and you will feel more sluggish.

When I first got the band and started to lose weight, I got a huge burst of energy but that didn't last long... for the last few months, moreso the last few weeks, I am so exhausted I feel drunk. Perhaps I do need more Protein because I know I am not taking in enough... I wish i could also find the answer to this as it is extremely discouraging.

Lynn

Protein, Water, Vitamins, the right amount of carbs, exercise...they're all important yet difficult at times to balance out. My thighs cramp when I climb my stairs, so also potassium!! And yawning. I have been doing more of that since banding. Anyone else?

I had a huge decrease in energy levels for the first few months after banding...some days I could barely get out of bed! I think it was my body adjusting to the new eating patterns and it did finally disappear and I am full of Beans now.

I'm glad you posted this. I was banded on April 30, and I've been pretty exhausted ever since. There were a couple of days when I thought I would collapse after just the exertion of taking a shower! I'm also experiencing some depression, despite the fact that I take antidepressants. I've been to my surgeon, my GP and my psychiatrist, and they all say to wait it out while my body adjusts to the changes. I just feel so guilty because I know I should be exercising, but I'm way too tired! So, I'm waiting it out...

I was telling my nurse practitioner just yesterday how I just don't have the energy level I used to have. I didn't say prior to the band it just seemed like it had been a long time, banded 8/07. Anyway I guess it could have something to do with what types of food I've been eating but switched to a different anti-depressant anyway because along with the drop in energy I feel more depressed too, could be hard to differentiate between the two. I haven't been taking Vitamins which are so important for my daughter to take as she's is RNY now that I think I'll start too and see if that helps. I don't like feeling like this.

I too have my up's and down's with energy. I started taking some Vitamins and am getting my exercise in and to my surprise I am feeling much better. With 4 kids and work I have no time to be soo tired. But please do let us know what your Dr. recommended/advised.

1. Make sure you are actually eating enough. Some bandsters are happy with their weight loss, but aren't eating enough to keep them going - that means a blend of healthy foods, not just Protein. You may be experiencing highs and lows in your blood sugar - doesn't have to be diabetes. You might want to consider eating very small portions 6 times a day rather than 3 times a day to keep your blood sugars level.

2. Get some blood work done - get your thyroid levels and blood sugar checked as well as your electrolytes and your Iron levels. I have thyroid problems, but do well with medication. I found out my Iron levels were low when I got my blood work done about 3 months ago, am taking an iron supplement which has helped my energy.

You might want to consider taking a good Multivitamin, plus a calcium/vitamin D supplement if you don't drink much milk.

Remember you have made a major change to your body, not only with the surgery, but also with the change in eating and exercising. You need to ensure that your body is reacting to the changes in a healthy way :biggrin2:

I was banded on May 27th & I'm unusually tired, too. I checked my blood pressure today & it was 90/70. I stopped taking my blood pressure pill completely. (Dr. originally told me to break it in half) I'm taking all my Vitamins & Iron & eating pureed Protein. I'm too tired to walk very far. Did anyone else stop their BP meds? :thumbup: