Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What if I'm becoming anorexic?

I had to Google "anorexic" because I didn't even know how to spell it...clearly it has never been part of my normal vocabulary like fat, obese, overweight, etc.

I was banded on Feb. 1, 2008 and to date I have lost 45 lbs. It hasn't been too terribly hard, but now that I have really good restriction I BARELY eat. Barely. I'm not even hungry. I think about food and I think about the foods that I can't eat, but then I think about the 45 lbs. I have lost and I don't want those foods...or really any food for that matter. I fear that I've created a monster by losing weight and feeling better. Just this past week I was able to put on a pair of jeans that I haven't worn in three years. They aren't even in style anymore but I kept them because I knew that one day I would be able to wear them again...so I cried like a little girl when they slipped on and buttoned up with no effort, pulling or squeezing.

I digress....I have started to not want to eat because I want to lose more weight and I know that's not the right way to do it so I eat a little here and there throughout the day. I'm not ususally hungry at all in the morning and my band feels really tight, I have Soup for lunch, maybe a 100 calorie popcorn in the afternoon and Soup for dinner and I'm fine.

Am I the only one? I feel superior to food now and I don't miss it. I no longer plan my day around what I am going to eat or where or when. I just go about my day and if I'm a little hungry I'll have something. It's crazy....or am I crazy?

As someone who's struggled with EDs in the past, this post threw up a few warning flags for me.

The band should be a tool, but you should not be using it to overly restrict what you eat at the price of your own health -- mental and physical.

If I were you, I would consider going to talk to someone before this really does turn into a problem. You don't have to weigh 90lbs to exhibit anorexic behaviors, as I learned the hard way.

- Jen

* anorexia nervosa is the name of the disease, but a person with the disease is classified as an anorectic medically. I used to work in a psychiatric office, what can I say.

I agree with Lunanoir. To me it sounds like your band is too tight. Besides the weight loss, you are probably not getting the proper amount of nutrients which will cause way more problems in the long run. Your weight loss is great but this is about being healthy for the rest of your life. This includes a healthy mind. I can see the temptation to not eat and lose faster but safer is better no matter how you spin it.

Please speak with your doctor about this. They can give you the best advice.

Shannon

As a member of the obese community who is hopefully and happily on her way out, I can identify with the pride and newfound surprise you feel at no longer feeling the need for food. However, for most people who are grossly overweight, such as those of us who have been banded, one of the main reasons we got this way is because we have addictive personalities.

food is still something to nourish and fuel you. It's ok to still eat in celebration and with enjoyment. Food is a joy! But like family, children, drugs or men, there's only so much we can handle before it becomes a burden. My brain argues constantly with my inner-skinny child. It doesn't like leaving most of the salad on the plate or paying $10 for a meal that will mostly get left untouched.

You and everyone reading this may benefit from researching addiction transfer. Google it. It is a HIGHLY common thing found in those who go thru the gastric surgery journey. Finding we can no longer stuff ourselves, we drink more, gamble, do drugs, etc. Sadly, many people confess that weight loss dramatically alters their personalities, marriages and lives.

At one point you were strong enough to admit you needed help with your weight and diet because you couldn't do it alone. Now is the time to admit you may need help dealing with the mental side of things.

I wish you luck and much happiness.

I agree that you might want to talk your feelings over with someone. Don't start down any slippery slope, regardless of how slimming it may be.

If you are indeed not getting adequate nutrients, it won't be long before you start to feel the effects....lethargy, hair loss, bad skin, all sorts of unsavory things.

Your recognition of this new behavior shows that you are very self-aware and, I'm sure, will bounce right back to a healthy eating pattern given a little guidance and effort.

Your weight loss so far is phenominal. Slowing it down a bit will not diminish that.

Stay healthy!

I did something really dumb...I got too hungry and instead of eating one cup of pureed food, I ate about 2 1/2 cups. WHAT PAIN. That was yesterday, and I am still "sore" if I hiccup or move a certain way. I called the doc and they want me to report in tomorrow, to see how I feel. I don't want to have to go to the doctor, as he is 6 hours away!!!!!!! God can do anything...like help me learn my first Lap Band Lesson!!! Please pray that I will "heal" or whatever. Thanks, Christy

Thinner feels great and I know you want to keep the weight loss going. But don't forget the results of losing too quickly . . . such as an increased need for plastics because your skin did not have enough time to bounce back and tone.

Also, it is only a matter of time before you start feeling unhealthy and listless.

How can you enjoy being thin if you don't have the energy to get out and get moving???

Your weight loss will stall as you move into starvation mode if you are not getting the minimum requirements of what your body needs.

At the very least, you need to keep your long-term health in mind. Are you tracking how much Protein you are getting a day? How about your calorie intake?

I would definitely talk to a counselor. I've struggled w/ eating disorders my whole life ...anorexia, bulimia, compulsive/binge eating.

I think it is common to feel the way you do. I know that I have and I have thoughts of my past ED come up. However, I am in counseling now to deal with it.

It's kind of like we used to be obsessed w/ eating and now we are obsessed with losing weight. Like my therapist says, you must have something else...because once you lose the weight, then what? What will you obsess about?

alv2008, I have to remind myself almost daily why I did this--for my health! I did not do it to get into a certain size of clothes or to be HOT (both would be great side benefits though). I did it to be healthy! Being healthy includes eating the right foods to get the fuel that my body needs to function. So, I encourage you to shift your thinking from "I want to be skinny" to "I want to be healthy".

I do agree with everyone that you need to really watch these signs. If you think there might be a problem, I would try to get the help now (when it's still early in the game).

You will be in my prayers!

I had to Google "anorexic" because I didn't even know how to spell it...clearly it has never been part of my normal vocabulary like fat, obese, overweight, etc.

I was banded on Feb. 1, 2008 and to date I have lost 45 lbs. It hasn't been too terribly hard, but now that I have really good restriction I BARELY eat. Barely. I'm not even hungry. I think about food and I think about the foods that I can't eat, but then I think about the 45 lbs. I have lost and I don't want those foods...or really any food for that matter. I fear that I've created a monster by losing weight and feeling better. Just this past week I was able to put on a pair of jeans that I haven't worn in three years. They aren't even in style anymore but I kept them because I knew that one day I would be able to wear them again...so I cried like a little girl when they slipped on and buttoned up with no effort, pulling or squeezing.

I digress....I have started to not want to eat because I want to lose more weight and I know that's not the right way to do it so I eat a little here and there throughout the day. I'm not ususally hungry at all in the morning and my band feels really tight, I have Soup for lunch, maybe a 100 calorie popcorn in the afternoon and Soup for dinner and I'm fine.

Am I the only one? I feel superior to food now and I don't miss it. I no longer plan my day around what I am going to eat or where or when. I just go about my day and if I'm a little hungry I'll have something. It's crazy....or am I crazy?

I think it's your thinking that concerns me more than your eating habits. Thinking you are superior to food is a red flag. It would be one thing if your obession with food has decreases since your not planning your day around it anymore but it sounds like you are still thinking about it a lot because you are thinking how little you can eat and get away with it. Just the mere fact that you posted with an anorexia question is an indication something feels wrong there for it probably is. I would def see someone if this goes on or goes further.

i agree...i think most of us here have had some sort of eating disorder whether it be not eating for days, throwing up (or my problem, laxatives) and binging.

my suggestion would be if you're going to continue the behavior (for now) try drinking Protein shakes instead of the Soup and take a Multi-Vitamin so you're not depriving your body as bad.

i'm not judging you. you obviously know its a problem or else you wouldn't have mentioned it. how about going for a very slight unfill?

As a member of the obese community who is hopefully and happily on her way out, I can identify with the pride and newfound surprise you feel at no longer feeling the need for food. However, for most people who are grossly overweight, such as those of us who have been banded, one of the main reasons we got this way is because we have addictive personalities.

food is still something to nourish and fuel you. It's ok to still eat in celebration and with enjoyment. Food is a joy! But like family, children, drugs or men, there's only so much we can handle before it becomes a burden. My brain argues constantly with my inner-skinny child. It doesn't like leaving most of the salad on the plate or paying $10 for a meal that will mostly get left untouched.

You and everyone reading this may benefit from researching addiction transfer. Google it. It is a HIGHLY common thing found in those who go thru the gastric surgery journey. Finding we can no longer stuff ourselves, we drink more, gamble, do drugs, etc. Sadly, many people confess that weight loss dramatically alters their personalities, marriages and lives.

At one point you were strong enough to admit you needed help with your weight and diet because you couldn't do it alone. Now is the time to admit you may need help dealing with the mental side of things.

I wish you luck and much happiness.

This is absolutely true!!! I am an addictions counselor and I see addiction transfer all the time! Usually from drugs to alcohol or drugs and alcohol to food. Oprah also did a show on this for people who had WLS and then became alcoholics. Be very aware!!!

I agree that you should be speaking with someone about your eating habits or lack of eating food. Your body needs food to stay healthy, you just don't need an over abundance of it.

Honestly I don't see where someone who has struggled with her weight to feel like she is superior over food. For myself, I have always felt powerless over it and it has controlled me. When I can get to the point that I can control the food then I will feel superior to it. ...Just my thought...