Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June Exercise Challenge

~~Join In~~

I'm in for 5 days - 2 with trainer 3 w/out

Sunday Morning Soccer Game **men's over 40 league**

Thanks for starting the new thread! Walked 3 miles today. My knee is really bothering me and my ortho doc said to stop walking and start using the bike or the ellipitical. I walk with my friend everyday. It's really more social than for exercise. I'm very frustrated. Think I might try waking sticks before I stop walking altogether. I've heard they take pressure of the joints. Anyone know anything about this?

Hi -- thanks for starting the new thread Luluc!

Karey, I have read that walking sticks can help take significant amount pressure off of the joints. The other great things about walking sticks is that they improve your stability and therefore help to prevent injuries.

Walking sticks are pretty popular in Europe, and I am hoping that some day they catch on here. I really like to hike and I am thinking of buying one myself.

I got a session of Couch to 5K in at the local high school track this evening.

Have a great night :(!

hi karey - do you have issues walking on a treadmill? it could be terrain changes walking outdoors, which would make sense that a walking stick could ease some of the pain..

today:

2mile bike warm up

50 min trainer session: half lower body (squats/lunges/quads) half upper body (bi/tri/shoulder)

3mile run - interval training similar to couch 5k...

Thanks for starting this luluc. I was starting to think this idea had run it's course.

Little update for myself as I was encountering problems with the site over the last couple of weeks. Last month my gym had a team challenge going and members from my church and I signed up. Over the course of May, I lost 14 lbs and dropped my bf% below 16% for the first time in my life probably. I had 2 different trainers I know tell me I am really starting to get some serious definition (trainer taking my measurements said I made the 14 lbs look like 25). I can't believe how far I've come in 9 mos.

Had a softball tourney all day on Saturday and Sunday morning, so no workout on Sunday.

Yesterday was 60 min cardio in the morning and upper body in the evening.

This morning was 60 min cardio again and lower body tonight.

Tomorrow is DD's kindergarten graduation, so I took the day off and will hit the gym/cardio for at least 90 minutes and probably more like 2 hrs.

Luluc: Thanks for the reply. Treadmill is just as hard my knee right now. The doc said to use a bike or ellipical. It's the weight on the joint. I tried the walking sticks today and I think they helped, but I think I'm going to have to go to a spin class or something. I just have this very good friend who like to go walking. Maybe I can talk her into something different. We'll see.

Ceradad: Sounds like your doing awesome. I'm so happy for you. Isn't it great when you can see the results of all that hard work!

I went to pilates today and had an awesome work out, I'm still not back 100% from my surgery, but today, anyway, I could see that I can and will get there. I'm going to be traveling the last 2 weeks of June and then I'm going to have the big push to get the last 20 pounds off! I'm actually looking forward to it!

start taking Glucosamine/Chondroitin - DAILY! I have knee issues too, and my ortho tol dme the same thing. I quit taking the Gluco after I got banded - but the knee issues really got worse - and now after being back on them for a while - I can really tell the difference!

JT99: Thanks for the advice. I just started back on the glucosomine this week. Had some band issues with pills, so I cut out all that stuff and then I forgot about it! Glad to know it made a difference for you and hope it will help me!

Little update for myself as I was encountering problems with the site over the last couple of weeks. Last month my gym had a team challenge going and members from my church and I signed up. Over the course of May, I lost 14 lbs and dropped my bf% below 16% for the first time in my life probably. I had 2 different trainers I know tell me I am really starting to get some serious definition (trainer taking my measurements said I made the 14 lbs look like 25). I can't believe how far I've come in 9 mos.

Congratulations Ceradad! :lol:

I saw that you updated your stats in our August bandsters thread too, 121 pounds is amazing!!!!

I got another Couch to 5K session in this evening. Tomorrow night is pilates and Yoga -- my last sesssion for several weeks........

Karey, is the glucosamine working for you yet? I have taken that before, and for me it seems to work pretty quickly.

Have a great night everyone -- I'm enjoying being a part of your exercise thread, this is a very hardworking, inspiring group :angry::smile::smile:!

Worked with my trainer today. Weight training doesn't seem to bother my knee as much as walking. Go figure! Still don't have all my strength back but it is getting easier.

HI,

I hope I am not sounding dumb - but please explain the exercise challenges to me.

I see a Couch to 5K and this one for June, but I don't know what I am susposed to do.

I need an exercise challange and accountability.

Thanks Much.

Hi XXBeGone,

Welcome! I too am new to this thread, and I'm sure one of the regulars will be able to explain how things are done in this thread better than I would. However, it's basically a place to check in and report your activity. It is great for accountability as well.

The Couch to 5K program is a beginners running program here is the link to the website that explains the program Cool Running :: The Couch-to-5K Running Plan

We also have the Couch to 5K thread her on LBT (which you have already seen), and its a place to check in, discuss what you are doing, ask questions, offer and receive encouragement, etc.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. We all started from the very beginning at one time or another, and these exercise challenges are great! :wink2::smile::lol:

I did a 30 minute pilates abdominals class and a one hour Yoga class this evening.

Thanks Frangipani,

Run... :wink2: I havent ventured to that - a few times i would jogg just for a very short distance, only because when I was walking I would feel like I want to "fly" LOL.

So this forum is just for accountability, and no specific challange?

welcome XX be gone, jump in w/both feet:tongue:

no specific challenge - just reporting your fitness for the day/wk (accountability)

yesterday -

2mile run

late night horse back riding for about an hr

today -

2mile warm up bike

50min trainer session - all core/ab session

30min elliptical

XX BeGone,

I have participated in other exercise threads as well, and one thing that I find really helps me is that I set a goal for myself at the beginning of each month and keep track of it as the month progresses (as you can see in my signature line). This really helps me stay on track, and because of this, I do manage to hit my goal most months.

Come hang out with us -- you'll enjoy it!

What exercise you do doesn't matter, just pick something you like and check in on a regular basis to let us know how you're doing.