Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who decides when you've lost enough weight?

You!

I'm 5ft 10 and 152 and nobody in my real life has called me too thin, in fact DH encourages me to lose a bit more IF I want to. I'm not really shooting for model thin, but just a nice Australian size 12 in ANY store would be great (that's an 8 for you guys) currently I'm really annoyingly between sizes. 142 is still in your healthy weight range and I think it would look gorgeous. If I ever got there, I'd be thrilled, but the whole issue of how hard you want to work and how easy it is to maintain does come into it. I'm sitting here without any effort at all.

At 5ft 10 and 152lb, I am very much "normal" looking, not skinny. And definitely not super skinny, that's ridiculous. But then I live in australia where not so many people are morbidly obese.

Personally, I love my DH but he doesnt get to say how I look, I present myself how I want to. I'm having a breast lift next year, he wants me to come home with a gigantic set of silicone mammaries, that's just not happening!

Edited by Jachut

I don't do anything special. From what I read here, it's a matter of learning to live with the band. I fought it for awhile. Puked. Then with the encouragement of the two great nurses who work with my dr, gradually accepted what my band allowed. Instead of eating a lot, I ate a little. That felt better. Soon it was a habit. Now it is my life. I eat Protein first each meal. I try to eat 50-75 g of protein each day. I drink lots of Water. Actually, I ONLY drink water. Nothing else except Protein Shakes. No booze. Dr said I could after a year, but I just never did start. I gave up coffee, too. Upset my stomach. I treat my body well -and gently, and it does ok. I think I have a pretty tight fill because any over eating is immediately uncomfortable. I must eat slowly, chew well, or OUCH. I usually eat fish because it takes too much effort to eat meat (chew, chew, chew). Although I don't exercise perse, I'm hugely active --outside all the time, and lots of walking. So, no, nothing special, just listened to every word my doctor said, did everything the nurses said. I think being a self-pay made me more motivated to make it work. I had a few times along the journey when I thought, "Oh, that's it. Done. Won't lose any more." Then I'd head back to the Dr. and get a little fill and the weight would start to come off again. Once I plateaued for 4 months before I went back into the Dr. He asked why I waited so long. I had no answer. I still don't know why I waited except that I'd lost 50 and I thought that was all I would lose. He did a fill and I began to lose again. My weight has been absolutely stable for 2 years -five up/five down on an almost daily basis. --Foxglove

I have a "feel good" number! What is it today? Wait a minute it is coming to me... Forget it, the number changes everyday depending on my mood.

What number on the scale would make you happy? Are you sure? Maybe you will get to the "new improved" number and decide that you still are not skinny enough. And around and around it goes. Just a few more pounds... I would not worry what your family thinks. I would be more concerned aboout what you feel. You have to ask yourself this one question as you look at yourself in the mirror: "What number will make me happy?" and then ask yourself, "Am I missing happiness now by worrying about weight issues that I do not need to worry about. In fact I am so tied up with these issues I forgot to Celebrate my accomplishments! I totally ROCK!":thumbup:

For me I do consider and value my husbands opinion, just as he does of mine.

He too has always liked a larger fuller woman w/ curves. I am blessed and have curves, so when I loose more my curves are more noticeable - that helps.

My husband has pnly known me as 280lbs - 300 and loved all of me.

He considers my thoughts and opinions and wants me to be healty, confident& happy. But I have also given him permission to tell me when I have hit that "magic size" in his eyes.

Right now we are in agreement w/ 149 (normal BMI) - but when we began this journey we were thinking 170 would be the winner. :eek:) Now I am between 149 - 160, but wont know until we see it. I am thinking a size 10 would be just right.

I have a co-worker who had GB and her husband has asked her to gain 10lbs because he thought she looked too skinny - she did gain it and I have to say she does look "healthier" and she is still thin.

I think it is a mixture of the two opinions, but do what is best for you.