Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you choose your goal weight?

I was wondering how you all chose your goal weight. I know that in order to not be "overweight" anymore I need to be 149...but I have only been that weight once in my adult life and that is when I starved myself to join the Air Force and it was only once...by the time I actually went to boot camp I was 157 and I would say tiny! anyways. how did you all choose you goal weight?

Bobbi

I'm 5'2" and the weight I should be is between 118-132. I'm thinking I might ever meet those numbers so my goal is simply this....to look into the mirror and tell myself I look damn good! My first goal was to get out the 400s, then the 300s, then the 200s and finally I hit onederland. I'd really like to lose about 40-50 more pounds though.

I chose a goal that would put me at an almost healthy BMI.

I want my BMI to be 25.

25 is considered overweight but heh 24.9 is healthy for me but whatever.

I am 5'9. I think I would be perfectly fine at 170.

Edited by froggi1985

I'm going by how I feel. At one time in my life I got down to a size 9/10. If I can get back to that GREAT! If not I'll love to at least get down to a 12.

I'm pretty black and white with weight, to me you're either fat or you're not, lol, there's not a lot of in between. I really like a pretty slender body type, and I've weighed at the top end of my healthy weight range for years as a younger adult and I knew for me that was still too fat, so I chose the mid to lower end of it. I think for me I was right to do so, the amount of difference in my body as I've moved from a BMI of 25 to 22 is amazing, way way more rewarding than going from 35 to 25. At 25 I still felt big and chunky that was 5ft 10 and 180lb or so, as I'm pretty fine boned and really mean to be tall and quite thin. I could easily stilll lose 8kg more or so and not look too skinny - well not in my opinion anyway. At the moment I'm 5ft 10 and 152 and still have a fairly good covering on my lower half, groan.

So yeah, I went by the charts to a degree but really on prior experience of knowing what my body was like at a certain weight.

Edited by Jachut

I went with what my last goal weight was the last time I lost a lot of weight. I looked pretty good and felt really good at that weight and I was a size 12 which is easy to shop for.

OTOH, if the lap band really does it's thing for me and limits me to 1200-1500 calories, those online calorie calculators say I'll get down to 110-120 which would be what I weighed in HS/College. If that happens, I won't fight it. :) Right now I just don't believe it will happen.

I was a 4/6 at 157lbs...Crazy I know! but I want to be out of overweight BMI so I decided to go with 149...that is 99 lbs from where i am right now...who knows when I will reach that goal...a year after my band I want to start trying for baby #2 ( we would be trying now if it wasn't for me getting banded) But it is much more important for my LO to have a healthy momma than to have a baby bro or sis close to her age.

I have not really put any magic thought into it, I really would like to weight about 135, I am 5'8 and feel that would be a nice, comfortable place for me. However, it is just amazing to me for the small amount of weight I have lost how well I feel already, I was banded on 4/24, and have lost 28lbs to date and I am just full of energy all day long. Feeling really good already! :)

Well i met my husband at 160lbs, At that time i felt slim and was very comfortable with me. I think im supposed to be like 130lbs but like i said 160 works just well with me.

I went with size only. I am 5'8" and my goal was a size 16 or 120 lb weight loss. I could get down to a size 14 but my doctor and I decided on 200 lbs. That will put me at 85% weight loss and I'm happy with that.

Probably about 150-160. I know I weighed about 140 in HS so I figure 10-20lbs over that is a good goal. That's also what my dr suggested as a goal weight.

However, since I have taken the position that I am doing this to be healthy, my final weight is not something I've given much thought to.

I looked hot on my wedding day (if I do say so myself) and I weighed 150. At 5'7", that is a healthy weight for me, so I decided that would be my goal.

My body looked AMAZING at 135, so if I feel like I can get down that low, I will try. However, I am perfectly happy with 150.

I can't remember what my "healthy BMI" weight is but I went to the lapband website for their BMI calculator and just kept working it till I found out what my healthy weight is, I think it was between 112-145. I'm 5'5.5". So I had to figure it at 5'5" and 5'6". I remember I was 157 for my high school prom and just starting to be a little chubby. I was so mad that I couldn't get down to 150 for prom. If I only knew then what I know now!! So I'm shooting for at least 147. If I should go below that I'm not gonna complain. When I was in jr. high, I can remember going roller skating(that was the thing to do) and I wore a size 3 Brittana jeans. OOH to Dream again.:lol:

I started at size 26/28 and 324 pounds, so to be a size 12 is such a huge accomplishment. I don't know how many pounds that is. I hope that it's not less than 160. Right now I'm 192 and I am wearing a size 16. I hope that 32 pounds from now I'll be down two more sizes. Most of my fat is now in my lower abdomen and legs. I'm starting to get the comments "You don't want to lose anymore do you?".

I was a size 12 before I had my baby and she's going to be 21 in June. I'm 5'7" and I'm 48 years old. I don't want to be too skinny because then more of my wrinkles will show up - lol!

Sue