Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oops - has anyone else done this?

I am 11 days post-op. Today I had lunch with a friend and ended up having onion Soup (no cheese or croutons) 3 small breadsticks and a COOKIE! My doctor wants us on 4 supplements a day for 2 weeks post-op. That consists of drinks, jell-o pudding and Water. Has anyone else done this and did I mess anything up? I feel ok, no pain but full but not uncomfortable. :w00t:

It's dangerous to eat solid foods too soon after surgery. Your band is stitched into the outside of your stomach, and you want to minimize the movement of your stomach to ensure the band heals in place properly.

Sure, other people have done it, but that doesn't mean it is a wise thing to do.

I'm not sure if you damaged anything but the idea of it would consume me too. This is why I have refused several lunch dates over the past week. Why don't you call your doctor and ask him what he/she thinks.

Your stomach is still healing from surgery. If you don't feel any pain you are probably ok this time around. However, you need to be really careful and baby your stomach. If you are still in the liquid stage and are already taking in baked goods, you might be in trouble down the road.

Another thing to keep in mind is that once you have fills and decent restriction, you may find that your stomach rejects things like breadsticks. bread tends to block your passage up in a most uncomfortable way and cause pb's to happen. Bread doesn't seem to be bandster friendly to most bandster's with restriction.

My doctor explained to me that the long term health of the band has everything to do with how well a person follows the diet in the early stages. The stomach has to move around to digest food. You don't want much movement until the area around the band has healed sufficiently. Putting too much pressure on the area before the band area has time to heal can eventually lead to band complications such as slippage that could result in band removal.

Your first two weeks is almost up. You should just hang in there with the doctor's plan for a couple more days, progress with the diet prescribed and everything should be fine. The worst thing to do would be to test the band by thinking if this time didn't cause any physical symptoms, maybe you can eat a little more than is on your plan. Eating solid foods one and a half weeks out from major surgery is not healthy for your fragile stomach.

Good luck with your plan. Just think, in another couple of weeks you will be eating normal, healthy food with smaller portions and you can put this liquid phase behind you :0)

Thank you to all that have applied thus far. I will keep to my liquid diet until the doctor releases me. How could I have been so dumb. I chose to have the band for a specific reason and now I cheat. Only a few more days - I can do this and want to do this!!!! :w00t: I am not sure but I think from the sugar from the cookie I am sleepy - not a good feeling when you have to work. I guess consuming all the sugar before you never really felt anything and then when you don't have it and then do - wow - what a difference.

You can do it! It isn't that long that you have to stick to liquids.

I really can't eat sugary things anymore without feeling awful--sluggish and sick. Since I used to be the donut queen, this is a real change for me!

Snowbird - I just noticed your weight-loss. That is awesome, Congrats! I am so down that I screwed up because I want success so bad. Throughout the years and all the failing it gets tiresome. I am in smaller jeans and feeling good and then I go mess up. Not only from a food stand point but from a healing stand point. If I should (which I hope not) fall off again I will post so everyone can kick me back on track. I have lost 21 lbs so far - I can/will keep it going. :w00t:

I feel your pain on this. I ate my first solid food just days after my surgery and the first two times I really felt it with the tightness in my stomack so severe I had to lay down. I try to drink a lot of liquids during the day but I was really unable to stick to it. I had a lot of anxiety. I did the pre-op diet just fine but I was just no feeling the liquids. I've eaten solids during my two week post op. I feel fine. I eat much smaller portions and stop before I even get to the tightness point but I am worried that I've maybe done some harm to my band. I can only hope that things have healed well. I don't think I've done bad diet wise and I've been excercising like crazy I just don't want to get yelled at by the docs. But I don't feel as if I've "cheated" because I've been very resolute in just what I eat and how much, it's just the fact I ate anything solid before the 2 week deadline. So if you can I would say stick to the liquids. I wish I could but at this time I don't even see a point in trying. But no matter what don't beat yourself up about it.

weight.png

Edited by lanejane

AmyJoy, don't beat yourself up too much. You did it. You know it was a mistake. Now you can choose to do what's right for your healing and health moving forward.

Lanegane - why don't you and I try to do it together? We can do this, right? I know we can! We ate and now we should be good until our doctors tell us different. I support you and know you can do it. If I reach for something I will think of you and that I made a deal not to do it. We strated off by making the right choice and getting the band - let's be a success!!!!! :w00t:

Lanegane - why don't you and I try to do it together? We can do this, right? I know we can! We ate and now we should be good until our doctors tell us different. I support you and know you can do it. If I reach for something I will think of you and that I made a deal not to do it. We strated off by making the right choice and getting the band - let's be a success!!!!! :w00t:

Seeing as how I just realized my 2 week appointment is Monday NOT Wednesday as I was thinking... I'm so with you. I only have the weekend to go before I'm home free so to speak. I can do it! Plus I need to get rid of some of this damn product. I noticed you're from Rockford...did you go through MMPC by any chance. I'm in Grand Rapids. Anyway have you lost anything since surgery? I was told to stay off the scale until my appointment but of course I cannot. I was told swelling, and gas would add pounds intially but I'm anxious to see something come off. I was losing like crazy before the surgery. I'd like to get somewhere near that again. But anyway, this will be a fun challenge. I'll prove something to myself and have soemthing to be proud of and one less thing to worry about and I may even lose a few extra pounds. I'll check in with you day by day.

:tt2:

Seeing as how I just realized my 2 week appointment is Monday NOT Wednesday as I was thinking... I'm so with you. I only have the weekend to go before I'm home free so to speak. I can do it! Plus I need to get rid of some of this damn product. I noticed you're from Rockford...did you go through MMPC by any chance. I'm in Grand Rapids. Anyway have you lost anything since surgery? I was told to stay off the scale until my appointment but of course I cannot. I was told swelling, and gas would add pounds intially but I'm anxious to see something come off. I was losing like crazy before the surgery. I'd like to get somewhere near that again. But anyway, this will be a fun challenge. I'll prove something to myself and have soemthing to be proud of and one less thing to worry about and I may even lose a few extra pounds. I'll check in with you day by day.

:w00t:

YES - I went through MMPC. Dr. Baker. I have been on the scale. It looks like from surgery I have lost around 10. I lost 11 on the pre-op diet. I would so love to keep in touch. Were you going to go to any of the support group meetings? I wanted to try one and see. Let me know the next step after your appointment on Monday. I am so curious to know. My appointment is Wednesday. Good luck to you over the weekend. I will be thinking of you. We can do this! If you want - you can always email me. (AmyJoy510@aol.com) It would be nice to have a buddy and a close one.

I had Dr. Foote. And as far as I know I haven't loss anything since surgery. I'm concerned that I don't have any restriction. I mean of course there's some there but I feel as if I would have to eat a lot to feel it, and since I don't feel it I'm concerned. I sort of feel like a back up in my chest sometimes but that's about it.

As for the weight loss...that special monthly visitor came so it could be that I'm just retaining a lot of Water weight right now which usually happens. But I'm worried. I thought it would be tighter! And yes I did want to look into a support group I definetly need some type of support system and someone to commisserate with who knows what I'm going through.

Edited by lanejane

I dont think we are suppose to have a lot of restriction yet. I noticed when I cheated prior I had that same feeling. Today when I cheated there was no feeling. I had that little friend also. I had to stop the pill 2 weeks prior and it came and then after surgery came again and now pops it head up every other day. It is driving me nuts. I would like to attend one of the support meetings. I have the schedule and want to chose a topic of interest. I was thinking of making my husband go so he can understand the process better. He has been very supportive in all of this but doesnt quite understand.