Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

This has nothing to do with the band really, but where do you people that travel for work work??? I'm on unemployment right now and would LOVE to find a job that travel is included or a part of. I need some ideas. I was going to try to go for flight attendant training, but I am too short and (right now) too overweight for that job. Any ideas?? Thanks!

:)

You don't have to be a flight attendant to work for the airlines and travel. Any job with the airline generally comes with travel benefits. I worked for the airlines for many years, DH still does. I love the travel benefits. Bad thing is, with the high fuel costs and cut backs in airlines it might be difficult to get on. Now the travel isn't usually completely free but a small service charge.

The big day was today. Everything went very well. I am on liquids for another couple of weeks. I am worried about eating again. What can I except when I start eating food? I know that you have to chew longer and smaller bites, what changes will I feel while eating? I am excited about getting my life back.

CONGRATULATIONS !!! When you start back on food it's really no diff than before - except you will be full on a smaller amount - you will now have to eat slower and chew and no drinking with meals and when you forget these rules and you will - your band will remind you..

Oh no, I stayed far away from the mad house. Freeways were closed, people had to get there like 130 in the afternoon, parking lots were charging $80 to park in the afternoon and openly saying as it got closer to time to start the price would go up to $100. Also, you had to put in for tickets awhile ago and then be selected to go, get creditentials, etc. My sisters every day walked the outdoor mall downtown and went celebrity watching though. In my younger days I probably would've braved the crowds, now I prefer to stay away. :)

ON the weight loss front, I LOST 2 LBS TODAY!! Finally have been stuck for 2 weeks, I am one pound away from 60!!! Rash is a little improved too.

Lori Congrats on your 2 lbs - that's fantastic 4_17_3.gif

$80 for parking are they crazy - ya the whole crowds thing might have been a bit much for me now too - but loved watching it on t.v. but what a rip off on the parking - unbelievabe...

Janet, Where can I find your Navy Bean Soup recipe?

PJ - Navy Beans, onion, garlic salt pepper Water ham bone but since it's not thanksgiving - you can use turkey ham cut up in cubes.. Put all in a pot and cook til done - a few hours - I an the kind of cook that just cooks I don't measure or time unless I am bakeing.. If you are all full liquids you take the Beans & ham out and put them in the blender and puree them and then add back to the broth - Cream of navy bean Soup - I do this with pinto beans too. You can do it with any bean soup you like...

I have a totally newbie type question that you nice ladies have likely already answered, but I'm daunted by 42 pages of posts and so will re-ask.

Do you always BURP when you eat? I'm not burping (1 day post op) on liquids. I was taught that burping in public is RUDE and if you have to do it, cover your mouth, excuse yourself, and move on. I can learn to be non-judgmental of others but personally I would really rather not

think that when i go out to eat I'll be burping all the time.

Please tell me it's just an "early days" thing, or a "some people' thing?

It's a silly thing to be worried about, I guess...I can go without carbonation, I can do without gum or straws or popcorn. I have no worries about having a device inside. But If I have to face a lifetime of burping a lot after meals, I may just have to go on a crying jag. HELP!

Restless - I think we were raised by the same Mom..:w00t: I don't burp often but it's not like a big ugly burp it more like a hicup.. But I rarely do it..

I chew gum, I do straws and I eat popcorn - but I'm a yr out.

It is a some pple thing - doesn't happen to everyone

This has nothing to do with the band really, but where do you people that travel for work work??? I'm on unemployment right now and would LOVE to find a job that travel is included or a part of. I need some ideas. I was going to try to go for flight attendant training, but I am too short and (right now) too overweight for that job. Any ideas?? Thanks! :tt2:

Gettin - Can't help on that issue I have had the same job for 29 yrs.:rolleyes:

Good morning gang - sorry I wasn't around yesterday - had a tad of a hangover - then had to take GS for his back to school haircut then one gf came over to get some protien stuff (she is going for bypass next Friday) and then another GF came over for dinner and visiting..

Well just wanted to ck in - will cbl :thumbup:

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb097&pp=ZKxdm005YYUS

I went to weigh myself after a full week being on solids and I put on 5 pounds! I feel like I want to crawl into bed and just cry! I know I'm constipated and that has something to do with it. (Haven't gone in a week.) But 5 pounds seems like so much in one week.

I found a little ramekin in my house and it holds between 1/2 and 2/3 cup of food. That's what I use for my meals. Since I'm still considering myself to be diabetic, I'm watching my carbs like crazy. What happened? I'm so depressed.

Help!!!!!

Love,

Ellen

Today I went back on Isopure, which isn't the answer. HELP!

Thank you so much! I feel much better. :)

And as to the poster who put on 5 pounds...take this time to heal, don't obsess about the weight. It has to be Water because there is no way on earth you have taken in 18,000 extra calories over what you need to maintain your basic metabolism. See? Put it in perspective and it's just your body trying to adjust. I've hidden my scale and will only weigh at the surgeons and I suggest you do that too.. Right now, getting your band healed and learning your new eating style is what is priority. The weight loss will come in it's time.

(I understand your horror...I went up 14 yes 14 pounds on surgery day! but I know it will come back off pretty quickly. That's why I hid my scale! You have someone hide yours, and just focus on yourself!)

I went to weigh myself after a full week being on solids and I put on 5 pounds! I feel like I want to crawl into bed and just cry! I know I'm constipated and that has something to do with it. (Haven't gone in a week.) But 5 pounds seems like so much in one week.

I found a little ramekin in my house and it holds between 1/2 and 2/3 cup of food. That's what I use for my meals. Since I'm still considering myself to be diabetic, I'm watching my carbs like crazy. What happened? I'm so depressed.

Help!!!!!

Love,

Ellen

Today I went back on Isopure, which isn't the answer. HELP!

Ellen

Hugs 1st and foremost and now let's dissect the issue.

Are you tracking/logging your calories - you can be under eating...

Go get some ducolax (tiny orange color pill laxative) you most likely are retaining Water due to the Constipation and drink tons of Water today- ice tea etc and get some walkling in - don't fret about the stupid scale - I bet tomorrow or the next day it will be down again once you get this consitpation out of the way..

I find that if I have 2 chew-able Calcium at bed time the next morning i have no problems with my bm's - it's worth the try...

It's most likely the constipation and again some pple do gain a little bit before their 1st fill - which if I remember correctly you get in the next week or so -

Also, I would say don't wait 5 days for a bm - I will go 2 but no more than 3 - but since I have been doing the chewable Calcium I haven't had to take a laxative...

Hugs - Just keep up with your healthy eating and depending on what your daily calories are you may want to add some healthy carbs - I have a starch with my dinner - I limit them but I don't exclude them from my eating plan...

xoxox

Janet

Good Morning Gang...

How is everyone doing on this last day of our 3 day weekend???

Ellen - How are you doing today ???

I know that alot of you will be at bbq this weekend - enjoy yourself remember this is not a diet - moderation that's the key - When I was still in the weight loss mode and at a bbq - I would have a little of this or that but just a little - even a piece of cake - this is a lifestyle change not a diet and if I did have that cake then I would just amp up my exercise a bit to compensate - that's what pple do who have a healthy lifestyle ...

Well, just cking in - going to the gym this morning to walk since I didn't on Saturday and will go back tonite to meet with trainer..,

So I will ck back when I get back :smile:

Janet-

You always have such great advise for us! You have so much willpower and drive- going to the gym 2x today! Wow. I enjoy reading your other posts too. The one on"are we ready for a woman VP" was priceless. Have a good day! Glad your GS is doing well!

Barbara

Well I didn't get here at all yesterday. We had a big family BBQ here at our house, had 22 folks, so had lots to get ready and then just when we were going to eat, here comes the rain!! So it was all indoors in my small house. but we adjusted and it worked out fine. Foodwise, I was beating myself up pretty good thinking I really blew it. But then got to thinking of what I had and what I used to have and it was nothing. I had half a hotdog, some chips and one cookie and ate pieces of that same cookie all night long. Not the perfect day nutrition wise (lunch and Breakfast were okay) but it was one day. I now feel energized that yes I can do this. Both my sisters came and they asked lots of questions about my surgery and eating habits now. When I first had it done they weren't so interested. I hadn't seen them for almost 2 mos so they saw a dramatic change in me in the weight loss yesterday. Maybe they are afraid I'm not going to be the fat sister anymore!!! :smile: I plan on relinquishing that title in the not so distant future!

Ellen, so sorry you had such a tough day yesterday. It happened to me too. You are in what is called bandster hell around here. It will get better with your first fill. I also had major troubles at that point with Constipation. I tried metamucil, didn't help. I tried Colace (stool softner) didn't work. Finally the nurse at my dr office said to get some glycerin suppositories, and I had read that on here as well. I didn't want to do that but when I read the label and it said relief in 1/2 hour to 2 hours, I was like okay. And it helped so much!!!

Hi there,

Your offer for help comesat a perfect time for me. I was banded Aug. 27th. Did you have feelings of panic after you were banded? I woke up last night in a dead panic about what I had done. I finally got myself calmed down. But I had to take more pain medication (because I am in still a bit of pain). I got calm after that. I'm a little better today. Ever feel that way?

ks

Janet-

You always have such great advise for us! You have so much willpower and drive- going to the gym 2x today! Wow. I enjoy reading your other posts too. The one on"are we ready for a woman VP" was priceless. Have a good day! Glad your GS is doing well!

Barbara

Thanks Barb - Which one on the VP that I own a gun I should be VP :0)

I just couldnt help that one - when they showed her on tv with her rifle and that she's a member of the NRA - big whoop - what does that have to do with the price of tea in china and having a handicaped child or son in the army or being a soccer mom... There are a ton's of pple who are in the same boat - I guess they are just trying to make her a regular joe.. But the gun thing just got me.. Things that the news tells us is just plain stupid - are you going to vote for someone just cuz they are a member of the nra... Come on now we Americans are smarter than that I hope...

I respect each persons decision to vote for the person they want to as that's why we have the diff parties - it the American way..

Well don't be too proud of me on the exercise issue- I didn't go to the gym this morning after all.. I had a few drinks Friday night and yesterday the scale said 148.. I jumped on the scale after I got dressed for the gym this morning - and guess what it said 145 :frown: so I figured that once today was going to be enought to maintain my weight.. Had the scale said 148 I would have gone and walked this morning..

Yep GS is better - had to get after him yesterday to wear his brace - so his pain level had decreased - but he did put it back on... and yesterday he drove for the 1st time since his accident - School starts tomorrow and I guess I will have to drop off and pick up for a few days until his car is ready...

Well I didn't get here at all yesterday. We had a big family BBQ here at our house, had 22 folks, so had lots to get ready and then just when we were going to eat, here comes the rain!! So it was all indoors in my small house. but we adjusted and it worked out fine. Foodwise, I was beating myself up pretty good thinking I really blew it. But then got to thinking of what I had and what I used to have and it was nothing. I had half a hotdog, some chips and one cookie and ate pieces of that same cookie all night long. Not the perfect day nutrition wise (lunch and Breakfast were okay) but it was one day. I now feel energized that yes I can do this. Both my sisters came and they asked lots of questions about my surgery and eating habits now. When I first had it done they weren't so interested. I hadn't seen them for almost 2 mos so they saw a dramatic change in me in the weight loss yesterday. Maybe they are afraid I'm not going to be the fat sister anymore!!! :frown: I plan on relinquishing that title in the not so distant future!

Ellen, so sorry you had such a tough day yesterday. It happened to me too. You are in what is called bandster hell around here. It will get better with your first fill. I also had major troubles at that point with Constipation. I tried metamucil, didn't help. I tried Colace (stool softner) didn't work. Finally the nurse at my dr office said to get some glycerin suppositories, and I had read that on here as well. I didn't want to do that but when I read the label and it said relief in 1/2 hour to 2 hours, I was like okay. And it helped so much!!!

Lori

You did excellent at your bbq - and there are going to be days that nutrition isn't going to be 100% but heck that's life - and some days you are going to have 150% nutrition so that will make up for the days that you don't.

Yep be proud and energize... This is really doable... LOL about your Sisters... Maybe you will be their motivators :smile:

Hi there,

Your offer for help comesat a perfect time for me. I was banded Aug. 27th. Did you have feelings of panic after you were banded? I woke up last night in a dead panic about what I had done. I finally got myself calmed down. But I had to take more pain medication (because I am in still a bit of pain). I got calm after that. I'm a little better today. Ever feel that way?

ks

Kathy

When I woke up after surgery the 1st thing I thought of was WTF have I done :frown::lol::frown: - I don't like pain at all.. But I can't say I had a panic attack - I did have bad gas pain in my shoulder the 2nd day - but day 3 was better - day 4 even better and was back to work day 6 (desk job)

Just take it one day at a time - it does get better it really does :smile:

Hugs

Janet

HI! Thank you all so much for your advice and support yesterday. I was so depressed and I actually didn't feel well physically either, so your words meant all the more to me. Even my blood sugar shot up, which hasn't happened since before surgery.

The scale went down 3 pounds today, which goes to show that I have to stop weighing myself everyday. My fasting blood sugar was133, still high, even after being back on liquid Protein yesterday. Instead of the scale, I need to concentrate on what I'm eating and trying to find the right balance between not too much and not too little... (easier said than done) Is there anywhere I can go to find sample daily menus? I can use all the help I can get right now.

I still need to increase my exercise, so I guess it's time to join curves or just take some long walks. I think I'm just plain pooped from taking care of everyone.

In fact, today we were all supposed to go to a friend's for a bbq, which would have basically given me most of the day off. My children and my parents both would have had others to keep them busy and I could have socialized with friends. Well, hubby's sister and her entire family had no place to go, so he nixed our plans and invited EVERYONE here. I could have and should have put my foot down, but I didn't. In another life, that would have meant eating a whole bag of potato chips and anything else in sight!!!!

Now I have to deal with my feelings instead and that includes the angry ones, too!!!! It's hard being a whole new person emotionally. It's amazing what food or limiting food can do!

Happy Labor Day!!! I'll check in again later.

Love,

Ellen

HI! Thank you all so much for your advice and support yesterday. I was so depressed and I actually didn't feel well physically either, so your words meant all the more to me. Even my blood sugar shot up, which hasn't happened since before surgery.

The scale went down 3 pounds today, which goes to show that I have to stop weighing myself everyday. My fasting blood sugar was133, still high, even after being back on liquid Protein yesterday. Instead of the scale, I need to concentrate on what I'm eating and trying to find the right balance between not too much and not too little... (easier said than done) Is there anywhere I can go to find sample daily menus? I can use all the help I can get right now.

I still need to increase my exercise, so I guess it's time to join curves or just take some long walks. I think I'm just plain pooped from taking care of everyone.

In fact, today we were all supposed to go to a friend's for a bbq, which would have basically given me most of the day off. My children and my parents both would have had others to keep them busy and I could have socialized with friends. Well, hubby's sister and her entire family had no place to go, so he nixed our plans and invited EVERYONE here. I could have and should have put my foot down, but I didn't. In another life, that would have meant eating a whole bag of potato chips and anything else in sight!!!!

Now I have to deal with my feelings instead and that includes the angry ones, too!!!! It's hard being a whole new person emotionally. It's amazing what food or limiting food can do!

Happy Labor Day!!! I'll check in again later.

Love,

Ellen

Ellen

Yep getting on the scale daily is not good for your morale - Once a week is my suggestion - it's what I do - I may step on during the week - but the only day that really counts is Thursday which is my weigh in day...

I have attached my menu - it's mostly about regular food though are you on regular food..

I really sympathize with the family situation - I am lucky that I don't have those issues (some good things about being single:tongue:) But look you didn't eat the chips or anything else in sight that is something to be proud of..

Just enlist others to help so that you don't have to do all the work - that's how I entertain - here's the food & drinks help your self - I want to enjoy the party too..

I know you are pooped from taking care of everyone - but you MUST carve out 1/2 to 1 hr just for you - tell your family that you have to do this for your mental healthy or you can't be held responsible for your actions (going crazy on them) - go to curves or walk - but this is your time and you will feel more energized after you have done it... I always do..

Hugs..

Janet

Dear Janet,

Thank you for the advice and thank you for the love. I don't know what I'd do without you and the wonderful people here.

Love,

Ellen

Hi everyone tonight (Monday). I haven't posted for a few days because I was having major problems with the computer. It is finally fixed so now I can join in again. Sounds like everyone is doing pretty well this labor day weekend. I have been walking. Yesterday I went swimming and today I walked 2.4 miles. I did the fast, slow thing. It was 90 out and I was beat when I got done. I have been very tired all day from that little outing. Then I went got groceries. Had family over for dinner. Today I had coffee, oatmeal w skim milk for B, L was turkey sandwich on light bread, supper was salad, corn on cob, ribs (2 small). I ate all of that. Should I be able to eat that much at one sitting?:laugh: My next Dr appt is Sept 16th. It is true I am not eating nearly what I used to but the walking is also a big part of it. I guess what I am trying to say is that this does take work on the lapbanders part. This is where I had trouble before with loosing. I would walk two miles every day and was extremely tired from it and was hard to keep up. Maybe I should slow down. I did attack that issue. Glad to hear everyone is fine.:thumbup:

BeckyO:tt1: