Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Good Morning Ladies - I am at work this am when I am suppose to be on vacation.. Since i was gone all day Thursdays - I gotta get my desk cleaned up...

Andrew is getting better he is hating the brace can't sit comfortably and is concerned about how he is going to do this with school starting next week - he is cranky....

Hi all tonight, Today is Sunday. I had coffee and oatmeal for Breakfast, Went on a two mile walk/jog, stopped at the store, came home, had an Isopure and a salad for lunch. Today is my bday so my daughters cooked hamburgers on grill, salad, corn on cob and mixed vegetables. I had hamburger, no bread, salad, half c corn. Was full but then came bday cake. I had a sliver of ice cream cake. That was the first real sugar thing I had since being banded. I could have gone without it but my kids wanted me to have a small piece. After eating all of that, I am full but not stuffed. Should I be able to eat that much after a fill. I didn't go overboard though.

Hey, I have a brahmin purse. I love mine but it is big. I also am going to smaller purse because of my shoulders and back. I have always carried a large bag so going small is hard for me. Do you girls know that my hubby has not even asked me if I have lost weight or how much since I have had this done. I mean come on! My girls told me today that I am starting to get curves again.:lol:. We sure do work hard for this weight loss but worth it.

Beckyo:tt2:

Becky

Belated Happy Birthday :party:-

Your dinner sounds good how big was the hamburger & salad but it really sounds ok to me hard Protein should fill you up and there is nothing wrong with a small piece of cake - it's not that 1 piece that will make you fat it's 2 -3 pieces or when you eat the whole darn cake :lol:

Congrats on the exercise - good going :tt2:

Well my Bramhin purse is about 12x10 but by the time I put in my bramhin wallet - nothing else fit :rolleyes: - my Coach isn't too big but it does fit my wallet glasses etc :eek:

Janet, hope andrew will have a speedy recovery and no permanent damage

Thanks !!! see above for my cranky boy...

Janet, they said I had 2cc's in the band already.....she put in 3cc more thinking she only had 2cc in the syringe....I couldn't get Water down so she took out 1cc ....then when I was leaving she discovered the mistake of 3cc in the syringe instead of two. Best I can figure I have three and a half cc's now. I also had air in the band which probably gave me more restriction. Dr. Garth took that out. So, I just need to journal, eat hard Protein, and exercise until my next fill. Nothing gets stuck now. So, it is a head game until Sept 18th.

Charlene - it's good nothing get stuck :0) I wrote back in my beginning about how I was afraid that we could get to depended on fills and that they can be more of a physological help more than anything. I am not suggesting that any of you are becoming overly depended on your band or the restriction - but we all seem to want that fill and to be tight.. Heck I thought I needed another fill or tweak as I call it cuz I was hungry all the time - but you know what - it was just hunger - I don't need a fill and I realy don't think my doc would give me one - this is why they have the rules if you are losing then no fill - if you aren't they are going to examine what you are eating and how much and most likely give you one.

Turly for me I was lucky and 2 fill really got me to sweet spot - and when I went in January thought i needed another one (cuz all you do is read about pple getting a million fills - so you think you have to too) when I really didn't - he added 1 cc then took our .08 cc so I ended up with a .02 cc fill - which is more a brain game to me.

That being said some docs are very aggressive with their fills and others not so.. This is why I don't think it really matters how many cc's they put in what matters if you have restriction.

If you can't drink Water you are too tight and that's good she took it back out and you can make it till 9/18 - that's a good amount of time to be able to test your restriction and yes we all do test it - we all want to experience that first slime or bp episode that we all read about ..

Ok this was quick - I gotta get to work so I can leave at noon - I will ck back later...

Hi all, I did it, I actually lost 2.2# last week. It was rough, I am still trying to learn how to eat healthy, but I have really been doing this on my own because my doc won't do a fill until I am back under 370#. I know Janet you just said that people get too dependent on fills, but I am so long over due. I also started walking with my son in the stroller at night. Almost a whole mile every night except yesterday, I was visiting my mom most of the afternoon and then had errands to run. Only 3# more to go and then I can call my doctor and make an appointment.... The show of a loss on the scale this morning was a mood booster though.... Can't wait to see another one next week. Thanks everyone for your posts and suggestions, they help alot.

Gail

Hi all, I did it, I actually lost 2.2# last week. It was rough, I am still trying to learn how to eat healthy, but I have really been doing this on my own because my doc won't do a fill until I am back under 370#. I know Janet you just said that people get too dependent on fills, but I am so long over due. I also started walking with my son in the stroller at night. Almost a whole mile every night except yesterday, I was visiting my mom most of the afternoon and then had errands to run. Only 3# more to go and then I can call my doctor and make an appointment.... The show of a loss on the scale this morning was a mood booster though.... Can't wait to see another one next week. Thanks everyone for your posts and suggestions, they help alot.

Gail

Gail

CONGRATULATION GIRL WAY TO GO :lol:- SEE YOU CAN DO IT :tt1:

When I was talking about depending too much on fills it wasn't directed at anyone and especially you - I know that you haven't had one in ages but that your doc wants to see your commitment before he fills you again - he want to see that you are using your tool and are committed to eating healthy

I was talking in general - when we all are 1st banded all we think about is a fill and then we read all the other pples stories about fills - I know that for me I was comparing myself to others on this board - and we have to all find out what our sweet spot it.. and it will be diff for each of us..

Like I said - for me even just that .02 added was enough to say I was totally at my sweet spot - did that .02 really make that much diff in my restriction - a tad but not much - this is where I mean it's can be - a physiological issue for us at time...

Today - when I eat - I think I have eaten too much - but I am not gaining weight - but for me to now eat more than I did before either in volume or by calorie count - it's strange..

Again - WTG you are doing great with the eating healthy & exercise :smile2:

I knew your comment wasn't directed to anyone specific. I just really need a fill and am hoping to get one soon.. Thanks for being here for the support and information.

:crying:

I knew your comment wasn't directed to anyone specific. I just really need a fill and am hoping to get one soon.. Thanks for being here for the support and information.

:wink2: Good - I went and looked back thru my lucky #7 thread where we talked about it - but heck we have 750 pages and I don't remember when we talked about it - I would say around my 2nd fill which was in October so which is around page 400 or so - I will look later since I am off for the rest of the week I will have more time - it was pretty profound if my over inflated mind - but there was a great thing about will power - if you are bored - it's a good thread to read - you don't have to start at page one cuz there is alot of chatter about having out dates etc - but I would say starting page 200 and forward is about our jounery... Our thread is the most viewed threads... check out the stats

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/stats.php

Hi,

Just wanted to report that I had a really nice surprise today. I actually got a call from my Dr.'s office to find out how I was doing. There's a really special nurse there, who's been following my case, as I am sure they follow all their patients. Well, it made me feel so good that I wasn't calling them. They called me. My daughter's a pediatrician and she always jokes about surgeons and how they have "different" personalities, because they don't see their patients long-term. They're in and they're out. Well, we both agree that Dr. Cunneen is very, very special and that Cedars treats their patients with great care.

I think the forces of the universe were with me, because although today's the day that marked a 2.5 lb. loss last week, it was a tough "head hunger" day. Getting feedback from the doctor's office was just what I needed to "keep me going" in the right direction.

Hope you're all well. Talk to you soon.

Ellen

Hi,

Just wanted to report that I had a really nice surprise today. I actually got a call from my Dr.'s office to find out how I was doing. There's a really special nurse there, who's been following my case, as I am sure they follow all their patients. Well, it made me feel so good that I wasn't calling them. They called me. My daughter's a pediatrician and she always jokes about surgeons and how they have "different" personalities, because they don't see their patients long-term. They're in and they're out. Well, we both agree that Dr. Cunneen is very, very special and that Cedars treats their patients with great care.

I think the forces of the universe were with me, because although today's the day that marked a 2.5 lb. loss last week, it was a tough "head hunger" day. Getting feedback from the doctor's office was just what I needed to "keep me going" in the right direction.

Hope you're all well. Talk to you soon.

Ellen

Ellen how nice - it makes you feel special when doctors call and follow up. I know that my dentist does that after I have seen him and that special touch can mean everything to a person.. I am glad that it helped with the head hunger issue.

Good Morning Ladies...

How is everyone doing this morning??? You all have been quite the last few days.. How everything going...

Well, I am off to the gym - love being able to go in the mornings as I have more energy and it get's me going for the day.. No plans - gym come home clean and veg - that's a vacation for me... I do need to go grocery shopping so may do that..

Well I will cbl :thumbup:

Here you are at home, relaxing, with all this time to be mentoring -- and nobody's posting. bummer. They must all be doing great, Janet - a tribute to your mentoring!

Here you are at home, relaxing, with all this time to be mentoring -- and nobody's posting. bummer. They must all be doing great, Janet - a tribute to your mentoring!

JoannMarie - I doubt that but thanks anyway !!! Just got back from the gym - did 4 miles this morning 1 hr 5 minutes - now just cooling off and gotta figure what I am going to do today - need to clean, wash Iron - food shop - or I could just hang out in front of the tv with a good book (reading faye kellerman's latest - peter & rina decker series love them - I am catholic but I think I was jewish in another life :thumbup:- maybe it's that both religions have so many rituals :thumbup:)

Hi,

You're right, Janet. Lack of posting doesn't mean we're all having great days. For some reason, I'm having a few really tough ones. I haven't had a fill yet and thought I might not need one. Don't know if having a fill is going to change the head hunger, which is what's driving me crazy right now. I've been trying to write a lot, so that I can get my feelings out on paper, rather than eat them away, and I know I still need to increase my exercise. I guess the miracle that I wanted was not to "think" about food for the rest of my life and that's pretty unrealistic.

So here I am at the computer, in between trying to make my parents' 64th anniversary a special day and taking care of my 3 year old grandson, who has no school and no camp all this week. I wanted to take my parents to lunch or dinner, but they don't feel like going anywhere. They're tired and tonight they want to watch the democratic convention. So here we are! I'm telling myself to take deep breaths and just try to relax. Somehow it's not working!

Any advice?!?

Love,

Ellen

I hear you Ellen! I was doing so well; UNTIL I went to my nieces wedding on Saturday, then just didn't completely get back on track since then!!!! For my first few weeks I had some restriction (no fill yet) and no huge desire to eat. But now and after the wedding I just almost went back to my old dieter mentality; which, is "Oh well I've already screwed up I might as well eat what I want now". I say almost because I have controlled it some. I have not been to the gym since Friday, but I am going today-I just put my gym clothes on. I hope this does get better after my 1st fill. Until then, I will just have to get back on track and count my calories. Sorry it is not advice, but I just wanted to share that you are not alone and vent. :thumbup:

Hope your day gets better Ellen. The head hunger is a _itch. For me it's more grazing. So I have gotten rid of things in the kitchen to graze on. That's helping some. Can you have something delivered for dinner that your parents like? Or make them something special for their anniversary?

I had to go back to the dr's today. Seems my gall bladder incisions have developed a rash. He looked at it and doesn't think it's infected, I am to put some cream on the rash and go back in a week. The cream is helping with the itch thank goodness.

This afternoon I went through my closet and tried on lots of clothes. I went through all my pants. In the past almost every pair were too small. I blew right past some of them and they are now in my too big bag. I have lots that fit and a few too small still. Ellen, I am wearing lots of things I wore when you last saw me, some even too big!! Tomorrow I will go through the tops. Many were sweaters and I don't have the a/c on today and it's pushing 90 so didn't feel like trying those on.

Hi,

You're right, Janet. Lack of posting doesn't mean we're all having great days. For some reason, I'm having a few really tough ones. I haven't had a fill yet and thought I might not need one. Don't know if having a fill is going to change the head hunger, which is what's driving me crazy right now. I've been trying to write a lot, so that I can get my feelings out on paper, rather than eat them away, and I know I still need to increase my exercise. I guess the miracle that I wanted was not to "think" about food for the rest of my life and that's pretty unrealistic.

So here I am at the computer, in between trying to make my parents' 64th anniversary a special day and taking care of my 3 year old grandson, who has no school and no camp all this week. I wanted to take my parents to lunch or dinner, but they don't feel like going anywhere. They're tired and tonight they want to watch the democratic convention. So here we are! I'm telling myself to take deep breaths and just try to relax. Somehow it's not working!

Any advice?!?

Love,

Ellen

Ellen - I would say you most likely do need a fill since you haven't had one but you are 100% right about it not taking care of head hunger issues.

For some fills does take away their hunger - you may be one of those - but I'm not that lucky - I still get hungry and for me it's once I start eating I don't want to stop even with the band.. I can be physically full and still have the desire to eat. And this is mostly at night when I am at home

I don't keep food at my desk - cuz I would graze all day. I do have some Jerky and almonds for those times when I am absolutely starving (real hunger) but I can stay in control during the day - for me it's the night time that I have to be very careful of.

When I was 1st banded I would eat my alloted dinner then sit and really think was I full or did I just want to eat more cuz it tasted good.. I really tried to listen to my body and not my head - 99% of the time I just wanted to eat more for the taste - I love the taste of food - I am a food addict...

So I hear you.. The way I deal with it is avoidance... I don't have stuff in my house that I can over indulge on - well ya I do sf pudding & sf fudgecicle, 100 pack popcorn - Lite Pringles - bite size tostedos and ff beans.. but all these things are better and lower in calories that the stuff with fat and sugar.

When I wasn't at my sweet spot - I did ok during the day but at night when I was still hungry I ate and extra cup of veggies - being a ww girl to me veggies are almost free as far as calorie

I will take a 1/2 c refried Beans add some green onion - salsa - ff cheese and make a bean dip and eat with 14 tostedo bite size chips. I am full on this - it will be my lunch sometimes on the weekends..

I have alway budged my calories Breakfast 200 - Lunch 200 - Dinner 300 - Snacks 200 or 300 - I saved my Snacks for when I am the hungriest which for me is night time

Journaling is excellent they say - I just saw Valeria Bertanelli (sp) on Rachael Ray this morning - that is what she said she did..

Also for me like on the weekend - I would get out of the house - as long as I am doing something I don't think about eating - sitting in the house - am alway looking in the kitchen for something - what I don't know but something.

Sometime you have to find away to feed your head hunger without going overboard - If you keep denying cravings you will want it that much more that's why I have my sf puddings & fudge cicles -

This is a struggle that we all have - I wish I had the magic answer - cuz if I did I would be a TRILLIONAIRE:lol::lol::lol:-.

Just think - am I really hungry or am I trying to soothe myself - what's bugging me - get out of the house if you can - eat something lite and within you calorie budget,

And yes the more you exercise the more you can eat cuz your body burns more calories just breathing if you have muscle - this is why weight training is so good

Congrat on your parents 64 wedding anniversary - that's fantastic - heck if they want to stay home tonight let them - there is always tomorrow to go to dinner or lunch - Watching your 3 yr gs - that's a tough one - all day... OMW after 2 hrs my 4 yr gd wears me out

Go take him for a walk or to the park.. There is some fun exercise...

I hear you Ellen! I was doing so well; UNTIL I went to my nieces wedding on Saturday, then just didn't completely get back on track since then!!!! For my first few weeks I had some restriction (no fill yet) and no huge desire to eat. But now and after the wedding I just almost went back to my old dieter mentality; which, is "Oh well I've already screwed up I might as well eat what I want now". I say almost because I have controlled it some. I have not been to the gym since Friday, but I am going today-I just put my gym clothes on. I hope this does get better after my 1st fill. Until then, I will just have to get back on track and count my calories. Sorry it is not advice, but I just wanted to share that you are not alone and vent. :eek:

Gettin - 1st you have done well by not giving into your I screw up mentally - Again this is not a diet - you had a treat this weekend at your nieces wedding - that's allowable - that's life - even pple without a weight problem have cake, foods they don't normally eat every day and a couple of drinks - but that's one day then the next day you go back to eating healthy and increase your exercise a bit to make up for the eating - you don't beat yourself up... WTG :w00t: on putting on the gym clothes and going to the gym...

Hope your day gets better Ellen. The head hunger is a _itch. For me it's more grazing. So I have gotten rid of things in the kitchen to graze on. That's helping some. Can you have something delivered for dinner that your parents like? Or make them something special for their anniversary?

I had to go back to the dr's today. Seems my gall bladder incisions have developed a rash. He looked at it and doesn't think it's infected, I am to put some cream on the rash and go back in a week. The cream is helping with the itch thank goodness.

This afternoon I went through my closet and tried on lots of clothes. I went through all my pants. In the past almost every pair were too small. I blew right past some of them and they are now in my too big bag. I have lots that fit and a few too small still. Ellen, I am wearing lots of things I wore when you last saw me, some even too big!! Tomorrow I will go through the tops. Many were sweaters and I don't have the a/c on today and it's pushing 90 so didn't feel like trying those on.

Lori - No a/c and pushing 90 - you are better than me 80 is when the a/c comes on and stays on.:cursing:. Congrats on the pants that's a great nsv.. be proud..

Glad to hear that the cream is working..

WTG in getting rid of stuff to graze on :cool2:- it's still avoidance for me - I am no longer keeping a diary but I have changed my eating - even today when I went food shopping - I read lables - I was in target hadn't eaten all day and it was noon - looked at a box of jr mints 220 c for the box and said ya that's within your calories that would be the same as breakfast - but thought - iwhat nutrient's does it have - it's sugar and fat and when you eat sugar you just want more so I said- nope i am not eating this - so just waited til I got home and had my fish left over from the night before..

I normally want real food before junk.. not always but most of the time :lol:

Another way that I deal with my food issue is being creative in the kitchen - I fix stuff that I will really enjoy eating when it's time to eat - I just now make the meal healthier - less fat less butter not starch loaded. It's a challenge - but that being said I did and still do eat mostly the same foods - I read some where that pple who do this do better with their weight...

Hungry eat something a piece of fruit - a 100 calorie snack pack -(whatever you are craving but try and do liter stuff like snack pack Cookies or crackers) but when you are eating - don't do it mindlessly - enjoy it...

You know that you struggle with emotional issues of confidence & esteem that comes with being fat. But you may not know that you could be what are called as an avoider. This is due to the turmoil that comes with public & private dislike for obesity and you avoid confronting your situation at because of the fear of not being able to beat it.

Here is how an avoider thinks – once you deviate even slightly from a diet or healthy eating you figure you might as we drop the whole thing – this stars a cycle that avoider can’t find a way out of – We are fat we try to lose weight we deviate just a little we feel rejection for the perceived failure we isolate ourselves from people we stop talking about it, we stop the diet we eat a pound of candy – we get fat then we try to lose weight and the cycle continues

Instead of avoiding bad foods avoider tend to want to avoid other things like the people who want to help them and the disciple of trying to eat healthy. Avoiders try to separate themselves from these 2 strong emotion associated with dieting.

The minute you ban any food from your diet you are setting yourself up for failure.

If you eat half a cookie or a couple of fires from that banned food list – the diet is dead and that’s where the guilt sets in and now you feel that you lack the strength to succeed.

This shame spins you back into the cycle of avoidance

When you reach an obstacle you decide that instead of trying to find a way around it you might a well turn around and go back to the beginning – four fry’s leads to a handful then the whole bag.

One way to handling emotional eating is you live & eat in the now – not being upset about what you are in the past and not obsessing about what you will eat in the future.

The very thing that’s designed to help people lose weight is the very thing that promotes this harder – diets promote the all or nothing mentality. In our lives we allow for a margin of error – which we should also do when trying to eat healthy – if you are eating 1000-1200 calories a day – allow for some of those calories to be used for a little bit of something you really want - you need wiggle room in your diet to make it work – the all or nothing practices has to be thrown our of your mind.

You can learn to reprogram your mind to strip away the guilt that comes with dieting.

You have to realize that it’s not that the first slice of cake that will doom your diet – it’s the second or third or whole thing that leads to weight gain.

You have to listen to your body & respond smartly to your cravings and emotions but over time you will learn how to eat right and mange your craving and that’s when you’ll train your brain to stop obsessing about eating right and punishing yourself – If you stop overthinking you’ll stop over eating..

Edited by IndioGirl55