Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

hi, i'm moonlite,

i really need a buddy. I was banded on oct. 21st 09. still very hungry and craving food.. only lost 12 lb. don't know when to stop eating.

Welcome moonlight, The ladies in this group are great listeners and give honest feed back. Just be sure to check in regularly. Good luck on your weightloss.

Hey there, I survived the daycare experience... Glad DD got back about the time the rest of them came from school on the bus.... Havoc everywhere... When I got there I helped with dinner (lunch, whaterver you all call it) and then did the dishes while the other gal got them all down for quiet time... then I got to have the 3 month old..... gave her a bottle and put her to sleep.. She likes to be held, so I did!!! Anyway, I'm sane, but very glad I don't do that everyday!!!! And by the way, Apples..... you big chicken!!!!! LOL.....

Laura, dear, I feel so much for your pain.... What I have said before hold true still..... I understand... So, go ahead and cry or be mad or throw things.. Get it out of your system and then do what you have to do.... Being coddled probably won't be what your dad will want...so be honest and say everything that is on your heart...about everything... Chances are good that you will lose him sooner rather than later, but you don't have to be left with regrets like those who lose loved ones the other instant ways like heart attacks and car accidents.... Do it all and have no regrets to haunt you later on.... If I can help, just holler........ I'm only a keyboard away.... Hugs to you and your little guy... Watch a funny movie before bed and count your blessings, too.... You have lots.....

Okay, again I have to aske about this steel cut oats... What is the big deal??? Is it just the non-quick, rolled kind or what??? I've never heard of it....

Welcome new people... This is a great place...

Jewel, I have a 2 1/2 year old granddaughter named Laromi Kay who we call Mimi for short.. You mentioned your Mimi, but it sounded like it could be a grandmother or aunt... Who was your special Mimi..? You sound like you are so sad... Please keep taking those meds... You need some help and hopefully you can get yourself going in a straight line soon... You have so much on your plate (and I don't mean food!!) Do you have anyone to talk to face to face to help you with these struggles?? Use them and if not keep coming back here... You'll always find a friendly post and an honest answer here....

Lori, I was afraid you might overdo things... You be careful... One more day... DMV, do they take nasty pills like the Postoffice people????? Take care now and go easy...

I never got hot Cereal as a kid.... My dad had to have his cold cereal and I didn't like it much so I hardly ever ate breakfast... Probably a good start on my obesity problem I've had for life.... Anyway, I do like oatmeal, just no raisins.... I've never had grits and always think that polenta stuff looks so good when I watch the food network... Cream of wheat is okay when I'm on mushies after a fill...... but it's not my farovite.. Frosted Mini Wheats would be my cereal of choice... But I hate milk so have to have it sweetened with sugar or Truvia or something... Don't eat it often....

Well, gave DH a nice steak for supper but I wasn't hungry... had a snack when I came home from "work", and also a nap... I should go do some work now so I can cross some things off my list of things to do before Christmas...... You all have a good night.... Julie

Julie...happy you enjoyed your daycare day. I would most likely enjoy that too but just not EVERY day. Ppl that do it every day most certainly have something special about them (IF they treat the children with respect and pay attention to them...some good/some bad out there).

OK...short explanation on steel cut oats: The diff is that the steel cut are just that. It's the inner kernal of the oat and it is cut not rolled and because of this process these oats have a lower glycemic index (causes less spikes in insulin and better for a person).

Hey Laura...sounds like you had a busy day. Good to stay busy. Your sis most likely didn't even think ahead. Probably also reeling from the news today. Take care, check in when you can.

Great...keep your A$$ off the ladders! I would not go in tomorrow for that cleaning session unless I knew it was something that was not going to put that (or both) knee at risk.

Laura,

My heart goes out to you. One of the sayings I came up with is that God doesn't give you more than what he can handle if you let him. Because there are things we can't handle, we just get through them as best we can. We do it beter with God than without him.

The Lord bless you and keep you and cause his face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you. The Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you his peace.

Cheri

Julie...happy you enjoyed your daycare day. I would most likely enjoy that too but just not EVERY day. Ppl that do it every day most certainly have something special about them (IF they treat the children with respect and pay attention to them...some good/some bad out there).

OK...short explanation on steel cut oats: The diff is that the steel cut are just that. It's the inner kernal of the oat and it is cut not rolled and because of this process these oats have a lower glycemic index (causes less spikes in insulin and better for a person).

Hey Laura...sounds like you had a busy day. Good to stay busy. Your sis most likely didn't even think ahead. Probably also reeling from the news today. Take care, check in when you can.

Great...keep your A$$ off the ladders! I would not go in tomorrow for that cleaning session unless I knew it was something that was not going to put that (or both) knee at risk.

After talking to DH tonight about how tired and sore I am tonight, I have a plan for tomorrow. I will go in, but I will tell them that my knee isn't as recovered as I had hoped/thought and that I need to do something that doesn't involve ladders or that is easy, if there is nothing that I need to go home. I am not going to come home tomorrow like today. The gal (friend) I work with will be happy because if I go in, we can go in early at 530am, they don't let one of us open the place up alone so she'd have to go in at 8 which she hates as she wants to be home when her kiddos get home from school. I will take it easy til the boss gets there, talk to him and if I need to leave then.

I have such a good son. Can't remember if I posted in my last post, he called me earlier saying he'd like to take me to lunch tomorrow to keep me busy and keep my mind off my surgery. Funny thing, he was out Christmas shopping, he said he'd have to shop for his mother more often, that the cute sales girls think it's so sweet he's shopping for his mother. LOL Also have a hair appt tomorrow. My goal is to stay busy so I don't fret about the surgery the next day. It's not that I am scared or really nervous or anything it's more a feeling of dread. I dread the recovery period especially that first week and that bugs me because first week is Christmas week, my most favorite time of year so I don't want to dread it. Not sure if I am making sense. I best go to bed now. LOL

Laura, dear, I feel so much for your pain.... What I have said before hold true still..... I understand... So, go ahead and cry or be mad or throw things.. Get it out of your system and then do what you have to do.... Being coddled probably won't be what your dad will want...so be honest and say everything that is on your heart...about everything... Chances are good that you will lose him sooner rather than later, but you don't have to be left with regrets like those who lose loved ones the other instant ways like heart attacks and car accidents.... Do it all and have no regrets to haunt you later on.... If I can help, just holler........ I'm only a keyboard away.... Hugs to you and your little guy... Watch a funny movie before bed and count your blessings, too.... You have lots.....

Julie, Thank you for your words. I know you are right. I think b/c what you are saying is so heart felt it has me tearing up. I don't want to have regrets. I tell everyone in my family I love them each and every time we speak. I never even got to speak to my parents today. DH did tell them I called and that I was thinking about them on their anniv. You hate to say "Happy Anniversary" when it is such a shitty time right now. By the time they got out of that oncologists office- they packed- went to the airport and then they were off. Last I heard they had to land in Asheville, NC b/c of the weather. Pea Soup and couldn't land near our town. My Dad is so stubborn and also wanted to just get home, that he rented a car and is making my mom drive the rest. 2 more hours down the mountains to get home. I know it's tough for him to just stay in a hotel. He's got all his meds, his CPAP, insulin, etc... I know he just wanted to wake up at home.

My step GM (although she's just my GM to me) just left to go back to Turkey today. My Dad's mom died when I was 4 from colon cancer. There was a pharmacist that had a store in the storefront of their apt building. In my GM's last days this kind lady took care of her and gave her pain meds so she wasn't suffering. She was a single parent, which was incredibly frowned upon. After my GM died, she would still come to the apt daily to check on him, bring him food. One day he said "marry me". It didn't start out as a love thing- but it ended a very nice love story. He was a father to her daughter (my Dad's step sister) who is younger than me. My now GM is younger than my Dad by a couple years. My GF died about 8 years ago and my Dad promised his father he would take care of her, and he has. He calls her "abla" which means "dear older sister" and is a term of endearment. She calls him "arbi" which means older brother. She came to visit for a month and spent most of her time cooking my Dad all his favorite childhood foods. (I know I have told the story a couple times.. but she is the one that "found" Nelson when he was sick and homeless and almost died- and was instrumental in his adoption. A blessing I will never be ever to thank her enough for.) I guess just trying to be the best mom I can be is what I need to do. : )

I am so glad DH is coming home tomorrow. Amazing how sometimes these men can drive you crazy with the day to day stuff... but then when they are gone for even 24 hours, you realize how much you miss and need them.

Can you guys tell I am emoting? I think TOM is around the corner.. my face is breaking out and I am sooooooooooo hungry today and craving chocolate. I was supposed to schedule my woohoo surgery before the end of the year (since we met our deductible); but I just don't think I can deal with it. Maybe I can channel the courage from Great.

Oh, I forgot to tell you a funny story from Sat. morning when I took nels to karate. One of the mom's was there with her son. He goes to the same school as N and I have known her for 3 years. She is also a NP (and her husband is a pediatrician). She rarely is at school, and they have a full time nanny that takes the kids to school, TKD and even puts them to bed 50% of the time. (so sad to me). Anyway, I haven't seen her in more than a year and she came up to me and said "I don't think we've met, my name is (blah blah)". I started laughing, and reminded her who i was. Her jaw was open. She said she didn't recognize me. Now, I do have blonder hair now (I was darker a few years ago).. and then 80+ lbs... but STILL... I think I don't look THAT different. Then she asked me HOW I did it. I just didn't feel like lying or hiding and I told her. I am sure now the whole school will know. I don't really care. In the beginning I was afraid for people to know- in case I failed. Now I feel confident that I am going to succeed.

ok friends, I need to get to bed. peace out... sleep tight... L

Ah, cornmeal mush...except we Italians call it polenta and it's my soul food. Served with spaghetti sauce over it, or sliced up in squares and broiled with parmesian and romano cheese. Yum.

Now I'm REALLY hungry and I've been on liquids all day. Went to the dr's and got 3/4 cc taken out. I can't tell any difference yet, but I sure hope I can eat something now. I'm down another couple lbs, so I hope I still have enough restriction yet to keep losing.

Deb - I made polenta when I was on my mushie stage - 1/4 cup with spagh sauce on it and eggplant - it was good...

Hope the defill helps - When do you get to go back to soft foods??

Jewel, you really do need to call your dr office and get all the info before you have surgery, you need to go into this fully prepared. Do they offer pre op classes? My doc requires them it helped a lot. I hate to tell you but you will have food struggles after surgery but they are different. Once you have your band and a fill or two you will have the restriction and get full on much smaller amounts of food, but that doesn't mean your head doesn't still tell you that you want more or that you want to eat sliders (stuff like ice cream, chips, etc. that go right through the band). The band doesn't do all the work, you have to do a lot of it too still. Still that being said, it's the best thing I've ever done for myself. If you search around this site, you will find many many opinions and variations of the pre op and postop diets, many docs differ. The best advice I've heard on that, is follow the instructions of the doc that is going to take care of you if you have any complications, therefore, you need to follow what your specific dr requires.

Thanks Arlene, can never have too many prayers. Too late on overdoing it on the job. I really have 2nd thoughts about going in tomorrow but know I probably will. Today I did windows for 3 hours and these were very high up windows, I was up and down the ladder so many times, my legs hurt so bad I can hardly walk. I will take it easier tomorrow.

Oh that really sucks, Laura. As the others have said, there's not much I can say to take away the pain and the hurt. But know that we all care and are here for you to vent away. DH's uncle just got about the same prognosis and is going on hospice care the family is so torn up over it.

Well had a very busy and productive day. See above note to Arlene, I overdid it at work today and am aching now but will have plenty of time to rest coming up! LOL Then I took Grandma to Kohls, she needed one more gift. For lunch I took her to Famous Daves (a BBQ rib place). I wanted her to see the decor as it reminded me so much of Wisconsin and the cottage they used to have 'up north'. Right by our table was an old photograph of a 'cottage' in Hayward, WI and she got such a kick out of it (it looked so much like theirs) that she had to tell the manager about it. He gets to chatting with her and come to find out that is where this chain got started so, of course, it's now her favorite restaurant, anything from Wisconsin or Norwegian and she'll love it. LOL

After I took her home I went to Walmart and got my eye exam and some new reading glasses. I got some really funky ones, figured if I have to wear them, t hey might as well be fun. Then I got totally frustrated at my next stop, the DMV. GRRRRR I just went to get a 3 mos handicap sticker for my car for my knee surgery. Well the sticker I have from my last knee is still good for a week, so since I didn't have it with me she wouldn't give me the new one. I said well no one can use it but me, she said I don't know what you are going to do with it. I explained how I was having surgery on Wed. and would be hard for me to come back in, but htey didn't care. I was so mad, I see so many cars with those stickers and here I was trying to be honest and up front (I mentioned having one that expired in a week, I should've kept my big mouth shut) and now I have to go back when I am on my walker a week out from surgery to get the new one. Ridiculous!

Great - I have been saying an extra one for you at nite too - know that I wed we all will be thinking of you..

I agree no more ladders :0)... You really should take tomorrow off for you..

DMV - what a witch - it was like when I went to target after they gym to get GS some nyquil = cuz I didn't have my drivers license with me they wouldn't let me buy it -

Thanks y'all for the thoughts and hugs. I really had tried not to get my hopes up, as a part of me half expected this news. But still... <sigh> And the other part that is horrible is my Dad got mad at me b/c I told my siblings. HE wanted to tell them and when he called my sister to tell her they were coming back early, she went on and on about how sorry she was and then asked if she should cancel her bariatric support group meeting for tonight. (she is famous for not having common sense in the area of listening and being sensitive to people's feelings/needs). Like, DUH, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know a) just LISTEN to him before speaking :blush: don't mention your trivial needs/wants c) she drove them to the airport, um, don't you think they might want to be picked up tonight?! d) it is their 50th wedding anniversary tonight- just cancel your plans and be there for them! (now I think I know why he didn't want me to tell them. b/c of her... but I was trying to "prepare" her so she would be aware and could use some couth.)

And DH is stuck in Houston tonight. By the time he got them packed and to the little FBO airport that is south of town, he wasn't able to get the last direct flight back. The other flights were like 8 hr trips vs. 2. So we will see him tomorrow. Nels is very excited that daddy is coming home early. (me too)

House is clean, laundry all done, grocery shopping done and even filled the cars with gas (that is usually DH's job almost always- and I wanted the week started with full tanks. Did this of course before I knew he was coming home early).

Great~ Can't believe the DMV. meanies.

Apples, Janet, arlene & femme~ You guys have me craving mush... aka steel cut, grits and polenta. I am a southern belle and was raised on red eye gravy, biscuits, grits and my most favorite is sausage gravy. I ONLY like slow cooked grits, as the instant one tastes fake. And FYI... GRITS stands for GIRLS RAISED IN THE SOUTH. ; )

peasout.... Laura

Laura - This is going to be a difficult time for all of you - Hugs Your Dad wasn't really mad at you - he's just upset period..

GF I am a southern belle at heart - what you call sausage gravy is what I call white gravy - MY MOST FAV THING..

So far I have only had one appt with the surgeon, one with a fitness lady and one with a nutritionist. The surgeon gave me EMMI and I watched it. I will watch it again. I guess it was just so much info I misunderstood. My second appt with the surgeon is weds. So I am gonna make sure I am clear on everything. Plus, reading everything on here has helped alot. I am now more determined to get this pre-op diet right. All three of us are sacrificing so I can do this. I can't let myself and my family down. I will make it because I am stubborn.

Tommorrow is a new day though so I will just keep at it til I get it right. My husband last night actually said he wishes he was as tencious as I am. My family calls it stubborn.

I just did a really stupid thing. I stopped taking my psych meds and it has caused me to slowly come undone. I took them today and will be getting back to them. I don't know what I was thinking.

Just had a rough one. My professor today was talking about going through the final stages of life. It was so hard to get through without crying. She brought up alot of memories of my Mimi's last days. Normally I can think of her and smile but my emotions are off the track today. She also made us take time to reflect on our relationships and I guess I am just not good at having one. I just feel like failure when I think of my family and how disfunctional we are. No thanksgiving calls or christmas invites. I am lucky to get a Facebook happy birthday from a couple of them. I have learned though to take criticisim and try to improve myself. Thats the best I can do. Strive everyday to be better. Hopefully I will get better at relationships.

Thinking of my Mimi though, I do remember that at one point in her life she was really big. Her Doc put her on Optifast and she lost so much weight and went on a cruise to Jamaica to Celebrate. What an inspiration to me. Maybe I should start planning a cruise.:thumbup:

I think as far as my In laws go, They know. The doc office keeps calling here announcing they are weightloss surgical center. (I asked them not too) I am gonna tell my inlaws formally, I am just not ready to face them on it. I guess part of it is I don't want to discuss my weight with them. And yall already know the other parts. She did offer to bring me home some Mcd's tonite and I just reminded her I was on a diet.

Jewel keep us posted on your appointment tomorrow - and things will work out with your inlaws - I'm like Julie - who was your Mimi ;0)..

hi, i'm moonlite,

i really need a buddy. I was banded on oct. 21st 09. still very hungry and craving food.. only lost 12 lb. don't know when to stop eating.

Moonlite - Welcome - What are you eating - are you keeping a food diary - have you had a fill - give us a typical days food - include quanity.. We will help you figure this out..

Are you exercising

Hey there, I survived the daycare experience... Glad DD got back about the time the rest of them came from school on the bus.... Havoc everywhere... When I got there I helped with dinner (lunch, whaterver you all call it) and then did the dishes while the other gal got them all down for quiet time... then I got to have the 3 month old..... gave her a bottle and put her to sleep.. She likes to be held, so I did!!! Anyway, I'm sane, but very glad I don't do that everyday!!!! And by the way, Apples..... you big chicken!!!!! LOL.....

Okay, again I have to aske about this steel cut oats... What is the big deal??? Is it just the non-quick, rolled kind or what??? I've never heard of it....

Welcome new people... This is a great place...

Jewel, I have a 2 1/2 year old granddaughter named Laromi Kay who we call Mimi for short.. You mentioned your Mimi, but it sounded like it could be a grandmother or aunt... Who was your special Mimi..? You sound like you are so sad... Please keep taking those meds... You need some help and hopefully you can get yourself going in a straight line soon... You have so much on your plate (and I don't mean food!!) Do you have anyone to talk to face to face to help you with these struggles?? Use them and if not keep coming back here... You'll always find a friendly post and an honest answer here....

Lori, I was afraid you might overdo things... You be careful... One more day... DMV, do they take nasty pills like the Postoffice people????? Take care now and go easy...

I never got hot Cereal as a kid.... My dad had to have his cold cereal and I didn't like it much so I hardly ever ate breakfast... Probably a good start on my obesity problem I've had for life.... Anyway, I do like oatmeal, just no raisins.... I've never had grits and always think that polenta stuff looks so good when I watch the food network... Cream of wheat is okay when I'm on mushies after a fill...... but it's not my farovite.. Frosted Mini Wheats would be my cereal of choice... But I hate milk so have to have it sweetened with sugar or Truvia or something... Don't eat it often....

Well, gave DH a nice steak for supper but I wasn't hungry... had a snack when I came home from "work", and also a nap... I should go do some work now so I can cross some things off my list of things to do before Christmas...... You all have a good night.... Julie

Julie - I have never been a big cereal eater either - I can't stand soggy cereal - I was a wheaties when I was a kid - then raisin bran - but that's about it..

Sounds like you had a great day - So Glad to hear that..

Apples - tomorrow I am going to make it thicker - I like it mostly cuz you get so much :0)

Well back from the gym - while posting I burned another pot - I should know better when I put something on the stove I need to put the timer on - I though Andrew was in the kitchen cooking something - nope - it was me :0)

My Mimi was my grandmother.

I am up early this morning. Had a hard time sleeping last night and this morning. Got alot of studying to do so it is probably a good thing I get up.

We told my MIL about the surgery last night and she is mad as a hornet. She couldn't even talk about it. Just stormed out.

JeweI, I'm sorry to hear your MIL reacted negatively. I hope she comes around soon.

Someone asked what an "ashram" was; it's an Indian word for a religious hermitage. I didn't do hatha yoga (the physical form of yoga) there, but we practiced bhakti yoga--devotion. I was there for 2 years in my early twenties, and it was like being a nun or a monk (up at 3 am for devotional practices). It was an interesting experience (some bad and a lot of good), and I'm glad I did it.

Indio, I'm still so swollen from all the vomiting and pb'ing that it's a little difficult to swallow my pills. My doc says to only stay on liquids for the day of the fill, then back to regular food. But I'm sticking to liquids and soft mushies today, then probably more mushies tomorrow. I know a lot of other doctors say to keep on liquids for longer.

There's polenta in my fridge just waiting for me to be able to eat it! Lotsa lotsa carbs though.

Morning girls, I slept well again last night.. I'm starting to get used to this and I like it!!!!!

Jewel, I'm so sorry your MIL reacted so badly.. Is she just an "ugly" type person with everyone or is it just you?? She needs an attitude adjustment... seriously.. IMHO your husband should set her straight about this...... good luck.......

Femme, stick to what is comfortable for a day or so, but don't get caught in the slider trap....

I just finished helping DH do his on-line application for Social Security... glad that's over..... Now maybe he will let me get something of my own done... It's -14 this morning and he's been out doing snow... I shouldn't complain.........I don't want his job!!!! I'd like to get some baking done today, so we'll see how well Mimi cooperates... You all have a good day... Julie

Mornin' All....

First questions...what the heck is polenta???? Here in MN, if it's not 10 different kinds of starches slopped into a big ole' casserole dish we won't eat it. We don't take well to"new fangled" foods the rest of you more well-rounded gourmets. All we have to hear is that it is stuffed in an animal gut and we're good to go!

Second question...Eva mentioned making tamales and delivering them to friends and neighbors? Is that a tradition in the south and what is a tamale?

Janet....be careful, girl. One of these times you are going to go to bed and will have a pan burning on the stove. I can just see your obit now...."She died from One Pot Wonder asphyxiation (sp?). May she rest in peace".

Great...hope you are home already and did not have too taxing of a workout at work. Hope I didn't sound too harsh last night about the ladder situation. Omitted my LOL from that last post. Try to do things today to keep you busy. Let me see.....can you say Ann Taylor Loft?

Laura...wonderful stories about SGM and the lady at karate the did not know you. I know that I can really tell the diff in your photos...especially the last couple of times you posted. You are a beautiful woman. Hope your DH is home by now.

Welcome Moonlite! Hope you come back and fill us in and visit often.

Jewel...I'm proud of you for letting MIL know what is going on. Stand strong...remember, you are doing this for you and it's important you go forward with what you want.

Femme...being swollen makes a person wonder what the heck kind of damage they did sometimes. I was irritated one time for a couple of weeks from just being stuck a little on a boiled egg. It took me awhile with soft foods (about a week). Hope it eases soon.

12 loaves of pumpkin/cranberry bread and 8 loves of date bread made and cooling on the counter. DH is going to deliver to friends and neighbors this afternoon. I will deliver to my little ladies tomorrow. DH is on Clear Liquids today (colonoscopy tomorrow) and needs to be away from the kitchen table and stay busy so will send him on the trip around the neighborhood.

Have some gingerbread dough ready to roll out and decorate for the little ones on Christmas. Might make some plain white ones too but depends on the time I have. So much fun. Have I ever told you guys that I love to bake????????????????????

12 loaves of pumpkin/cranberry bread and 8 loves of date bread made and cooling on the counter.

Egad, Apples, do you have an industrial kitchen with one of those giant-size Kitchen-Aid mixers? And just how many ovens do you have?? :thumbup: