Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I would like to get some info from ya'll on smoking and lap band. I have been a regular smoker for 7 years...since I had my son. However, I want this surgery sooo bad that 3 days ago, being a smoker of 1 1/2 paks a day, I start my day with 10 cigarettes in my pack and that is all that I'm allowed. I'm doing great with that, in 2 more days, I'm gonna take it down to 8/day...so on and so forth. I have been told that my particular surgeon wants his patients smoke free for at least 3 full months before surgery. That SHOULD be enough time for me, unless I have a set back. What has everyone else been told about smoking and surgery? Stephanie

Yes, you can't & don't want to be a smoker when you go under anesthetic. Smoking increases your risks of developing blood clots, pneumonia, trouble with the anesthesia and death. I was a smoker (embarrassed to say 25 years) and quit cold turkey 3 months before my band surgery on May 12th. Don't miss it, don't regret it. You are electing to have surgery.... please make sure you are in the best, best, best health you can be in.

Quit today...no more excuses...do you want to be thin or not. This is what I told myself and it definately helped!

I had quit years before my surgery but my daughter was still smoking and they wanted it stopped six weeks prior to surgery that was their rule.

Good luck, I know it can't be easy, brandyII.:biggrin:

7_5_142.gifI stopped smoking in Sept. after smoking for close to 35 yrs. :eek:This surgery was more important than any darn cigs. :biggrin2:I was banded last week. If your doing insurance, they usually won't pay for LB if you smoke. Most Drs tell you not to smoke. I wish you well at stopping. Good luck with your LB :biggrin:

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb095&pp=ZRxdm609NVUS

Yes, you can't & don't want to be a smoker when you go under anesthetic. Smoking increases your risks of developing blood clots, pneumonia, trouble with the anesthesia and death. I was a smoker (embarrassed to say 25 years) and quit cold turkey 3 months before my band surgery on May 12th. Don't miss it, don't regret it. You are electing to have surgery.... please make sure you are in the best, best, best health you can be in.

Quit today...no more excuses...do you want to be thin or not. This is what I told myself and it definately helped!

Thank you for being real with me. No one else has told me the scarey truth about the anesthesia issue until you did. I want to be thin! Bye Bye cigarettes!

I quit smoking 20 years ago and the anesthesiologist still wanted to know how long I smoked, and how many packs a day I smoked. Good luck on quitting -- wow, you'll be doing two really healthy wonderful things for yourself!

Northwest_Nance,

That's so true, all of my doctors prior to surgery were very concerned about it too and I probably quit close to 20 years ago also. Kind of scary in a way isn't it? I always thought once you quit it reversed a lot of the bad pretty quickly but now I'm not positive if it's true or not.

that was a concern to me to i smoke 2 packs a day ,was concerned because in my packlet at the pre opt they said if you smoke the surgery will be canceled,,met with the anastegiologist he asked me do you plan on quiting smoking i said yea every day,,just like i plan on eating less everyday,,asked if this was a problem he said not really your healthy,,if you weren't we wouldn't put you under ,,well i have survide 4 surgerys while smoking,ortopedic type,,elbow shoulder both of them and knee,,so i called my surgeon and told them i smoke,,by reading there pamplet that says they would halt the surgery,,if i did iasked them about it they said do you plan to quit i said everyday,,just like i plant to eatless,,i said look i don't want to get there at the hospital and you refuse to do surgery,,no what they said,,your healthy ,,will be no problem,so i don't no what to think now,,sorry to all you non smokers but i enoy it,,also harder to kick than crack or herion,,yea wish i never did but i do,smoke terrible habit,,i hope none of you ever pick this habit up,,

I am a recovery room nurse and a smoker...bad nurse. Anyway yes smokers do have more trouble after general anesthesia than non smokers. Of course it is better to quit smoking before surgery. That being said I quit smoking before I was scheduled for surgery then my surgery was cancelled by my insurance the day before but didn't have anything to do with smoking, they wanted me to diet for six more months. Well being the rebel I am I dieted half heartedly but started smoking again. I ended up having surgery as a smoker and didn't have any problems post op. Smokers tend to take longer to get their oxygen levels back to normal postop and need to be meticulous about deep breathing and coughing to keep their lungs well expanded to avoid pneumonia.

Brandy,

I'm not sure how to take your comment??? I don't want you to think I meant I was perfect by any means. I am still smoking probably cuz I can't eat my emotions away anymore. The idea that I was trying to get across is that a persons smoking status is important following surgery for the person to get the best care possible. Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression.

Brandy,

I'm not sure how to take your comment??? I don't want you to think I meant I was perfect by any means. I am still smoking probably cuz I can't eat my emotions away anymore. The idea that I was trying to get across is that a persons smoking status is important following surgery for the person to get the best care possible. Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression.

Actually I meant it in a nice way, sorry, did you think I was being sarcastic, because I didn't mean to. I don't know about you but I had to sign a paper stating that I would not drink (alcohol) prior to my surgery and I don't remember if smoking was on there or not, I think it was. I myself smoked 20 year ago for about 10 years and know how hard it is to quit especially when you're expected to all of the sudden prior to surgery stop smoking, stop drinking alcohol, and I was put on a 5 week liquid diet, my daughter 6 six weeks prior to surgery. I'm wondering if they're just waiting for you to blow!:thumbup:

Smoking wasn't an issue for me but I did have a drink or two prior to surgery, but from what I recall the document I signed was not "notarized" and therefore not legally binding.:D I also had ice cream or gelato once in a blue moon, which wouldn't surprise most people at LBT.:lol:

Anyway I wasn't trying to sound sarcastic but I can see why you might take it that way. You made a comment about yourself not being perfect or something and I was just going along with your comment that none of us are perfect and that's kind of why we're all here. Alcohol I can still pass up, cigarettes I can still pass, but when it comes to that brownie, it's my biggest weakness and why the band is still a struggle for me, brandyII.