Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NSV- Dream come true

I'm a huge animal lover and ever since I was a little girl I have wanted to have a horse. Since I grew up smack dab in town I have no clue how to take care of them. I've often thought that I needed to find a friend or someone that I could hang out with to learn about horses.

My friend Alice and I were driving around my new neighborhood (I live out in the country as of December) and we came upon a horse ranch about 5 miles from my house. I got so excited that there was one so close!

I decided that I needed to see if I could work there- not for money, but for the education. Then I got scared that maybe they wouldn't want me to work there because I weight so much! Duh...I don't weight as much as I used to, I told myself. We didn't stop then, but I promised myself I would soon.

Tonight I decided that I needed an ice cream cone so I headed into town. I decided to take the back road and wouldn't you know- the people who own the ranch were outside putting the horses in. I thought- If I wait and think about this I'll never do it! So I pulled right in and asked them to take me on.

And you know what- they said yes, they could use the help...and they liked the idea that I've been around horses but don't know how to do anything with them because they can show me the way they do it.

I'm so excited I can't stand it. I never would have done this before banding. I never would have had the energy to go clean horse stalls or wash buckets or anything else on a hot summer day.

The lady gave me her number and I'm to call her anytime I want to come by and work. She'll show me how to do some things that would really help them out when they are gone to the racetrack or to rodeos.

Dreams really do come true when you look fear (for me- rejection) in the eye and ask for what you want. Needless to say, I never got that ice cream cone I was after when I set out tonight. I got somethign waayyyy better.

Megan

How exciting! I'm excited for you! You will have so much fun, and learn so much too.

That's awesome that you took the initiative to do it and that it turned out so wonderfully for you!

Kudos to you, and many many hours of horsey happiness to you!!!

Ahhhhh Sounds like so much fun! I can tell you are very excited. Let us know how you like it! Take Care

Woot! This is great! As you know, my PE class this semester is basic horsemanship, and I can really understand your excitement!

okay, you haven't lived until you've saddled a strange horse in a thunderstorm! (my big adventure on Tuesday!)

Megan, that is so cool and really heartwarming! I got all warm and fuzzy for you. :) Congratulations and I hope you enjoy every minute of it!! :):D :D

Gee Megan,

That sounds like a lot of fun. I grew up as a young girl around horses. I had two family members who had horses. I am envying you.

Oh how FUN!!! None of the expense, none of the day to day responsibilities, and all of the joy and hard work of caring for horses, all in one volunteer spot just down the road!!! I LOVE the smells of horse barns, mucking the stalls, fresh hay, fresh feed and Water, and wait until you clean a horse's hooves! You get that little scraper thing and stand beside it and run your hand down it's leg and coax it to lift it's hoof for you...it's scary and satisfying work. You will learn so many new things by doing this, and it's awesome! dirty! and gratifying exercise!! Forget riding...give me the work part of it! AHHH...Good for you, Megan! What a hurdle you jumped! I'm so happy for you!

This is such a great story, Megan; thanks for telling us. What a wonderful NSV -- a V over fear and rejection, among other things. Congratulations! Ride 'em, cowgirl!

So thrilled and envious!!! Whhoooo hooo!! I lived/breathed/dreamt horses until I was about 20, at which point I had pretty much resigned myself to the fact that it didn't seem likely I would ever have one of my own. But whenever I see one, I fantasize how free I would be, living like a hermit off the land in some remote mountainous place, just me, my horse and my dog... :)

SO SO SO proud of you!!! Keep us updated!

xxoo

How cool Megan!!! I dream of owning my own horse but working around a farm would be just as fun! I grew up with horses and plan on purchasing one when I get my first teaching job. That has been my goal since I started college. Definitely take advantage of the opportunity and you'll get a lot of excercise too! Best wishes, Teresa

Thanks so much for everyone's kind words. I will keep you posted on how it goes. I couldn't sleep last night for thinking about it!

Um, everyone needs to call me Cowgirl Megan from now on.

Thanks.

CM