Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tentative Surgery Date at NYU July 1, 2008

I met with Dr. Kurian at NYU last week. She is terrific. The staff was very nice. It was a long day, however, and lots of paperwork. Even though I brought in documentation of 6 month diet, I need additional details for both 6 month diet and five year weight history. Once I get that in, will await word from insurance (Cigna). Am nervous, but also excited. I just keep telling myself "one step at a time." Am focusing on getting to the gym now, so that I will feel as good as possible pre-op and will be ready to get back to the gym as soon as possible after surgery. For me, exercise is always the key to losing weight. Even at my highest weight, if I am working out I feel so much better.

Weight at consult 225 (5/15/08)

Pre-Op: ?

Goal: 130

Hi and welcome to LBT! Hope your approval moves through quickly and without any bumps. Keep us posted on your progress and good luck!

You are in AWESOME hands at NYU!!

I did tons of research back when I was looking into the band and settled on Dr. Ren there, and frankly I would have loved Dr. Fielding, too! The people there really *give a crap.* They're in this to change people's lives. I can't say enough about that team.

I don't know Dr. Kurian but if she is working with Ren and Fielding, oh my god. best training ever :wink2:

Keep us posted on your progress. I love meeting other NYU bandees!!!

Hey There

I am scheduled to be banded on July 8th by Dr Kurian who is awesome by the way.:) I hear great things about her and her staff. Like you i am waiting to hear back from my insurance (HIP) The only thing i didnt like was meeting witht the woman who sends your docs to the insurance, i think her name was Nira or something. She was a little rude but maybe i saw her on an off day...anywho good luck :sad:

I have a tentative surgery date of July 1st with Dr. Kurian too!

Now, I just hope I get the approval from my insurance (BC/BS of NJ). Nilsa told me it is still too soon to submit to insurance. I'm scheduled to start fasting the 17th of June. It would not be fun to start the fast, and later find out that insurance denied me. In regards to insurance covering the psch eval and nutritional consult, my understanding is all insurance companies are different. Even if someone has the same insurance, each employer has different exclusions.

Best of luck!

Too soon to submit to insurance for me as well. Looks like we have the same time line. Are you scheduled for pre-op testing? Am getting anxious--worried about ins. I have CIGNA and I hear they are very difficult. Good luck to you too.

I'm getting an esophogram (sp?) and my pre surgical testing on Friday June 20th.

So close yet so far!

Pre-op tests on June 23. I know exactly how you feel. Good luck. Keep me posted about insurance, etc.

I was scheduled for the 23rd as well! I changed my appointment, because as a teacher, I didn't want to take the whole day, when the kids had a half day.

I will most definitely let you know how I do. I know that not knowing is the worst.

Think positive!

I got the call today...I am approved! Wsw27 I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Hope to see you July 1.

Congratulations! That's great news. You must feel so relieved. Best of luck to you and I hope to see you too!

I still have not heard a word. I've called my insurance company and there is no record of a pending authorization. I'm getting very nervous. I've started the pre-op diet, however, and have pre-surgical testing on 6/20. We'll see. I'll keep you posted.

How soon after your surgical consult were you able to get in for the tests?? I know Im gonna have to take at least a few half days off from work in August to get all this done. On top of it all, one of my bosses is kinda being a pain in my side about taking any time off, even though I have the time available and it is a slow time of year in my department. Oh well....Just kinda wanna get an idea of how many hours the consult and the tests each took. I saw that someone said the tests took 4 hours! Wow. Good luck with your pending approval... I havent even submitted yet and Im already getting nervous. Im sure youll be approved and itll be over before you know it!:rolleyes2:

Pre-surgical tests seem to be keyed to your surgery date. I'm scheduled for July 1 so the pre-surgical work up was scheduled for about one week before surgey. (I was originally supposed to go 6/23, but had to reschedule to 6/20 because of work). My consult with Dr. Kurian was May 15th--I think you should expect about one month to 6 weeks between consult and surgery date. I was able to schedule all of my pre-surgical tests for the same day --6/20 --so I'll let you know about the process tomorrow night. Still no word on insurance and I am very nervous about getting approval. Agree that it is hard to get NYU staff on the phone. I had best result with email too. Good luck.

Thanks for your response. Do let me know how all your testing went today, how long it took, etc. I kinda figured it would be a month or so after the consult till my surgery date. Im getting antsy! One of my bosses is being a pain about time off, even though I am barely ever gone and have the days built up, so I figure I will just call in sick the day of the tests so I dont have to hear it. Good luck today! July 1st will be here before you know it!

Wsw27, we may have crossed paths today getting the pre-surgical testing. If I had known I would of met up with you.

I hope it when as smoothly for you as it did me. I was really surprised. The nurse told me it is all about timing. Even throwing my esophogram into the mix, I got done with everything much earlier than I thought. Have you heard anything from your insurance company yet? Which shakes are you doing? I'm doing the Slim Fast Optima and Carnation Breakfast, and I'm already sick of them. Believe it or not, I am have difficulty taking in enough calories/protein. I am so hungry!!!