Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating too much after surgery

So I figured that I would feel full alot faster after surgery. Wrong! I am going to have my 1st fill on 05/27. My appetite is just as it was before surgery with the exception that I leave about 5 more bites on my plate than before. Isn't this horrible? I believe that I am supposed to be eating refried Beans, scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, and pudding at this stage. The issue at hand is that I can eat a double cheeseburger and fries from Wendys. I sure hope the 1st fill assists me enough to feel extremely full after 1/2 of a cup of food like they said it would before surgery instead of what I am able to eat now. Now I don't eat like this all of the time, but the idea is that I can. If anyone else out there is like me, when the plate is put in front of you you're going to eat until you feel full. Not Just think you are full, but FULL. Surely $17,500.00 can do better than this.

Half of the hunger is in your head, you have to learn to control it. I wish you luck.

I think our brain tells us we are still hungry because we have eaten this way all our lives. But you will feel different after your first fill. I have had 2 fills and cannot eat as much, but my head still tries to tell me I can. It will start coming up on you after your fill. Hang in there, we are all going through the same thing.

omg Marv I agree with you so much. We are all used to eating so much then when we eat so little it's like WTF the brain is screaming at you.

I am having the same problem myself....My doc told me he did not think I would need a fill at 1 month post op.....I think I am gonna have to tell him otherwise.....I though I would determine when I needed a fill !!!!!!!!

FREEZE!! Put the double cheeseburger DOWN and WALK AWAY!!!! I have to say that to myself as well. I get my first fill 5/22 and I cant wait. I feel like I can eat a whole horse, but Im not big on fried horses! Keep eating your 4oz's each meal and IGNORE YOUR HEAD AS MUCH AS YOU CAN!!!!

I just had the surgery last Friday and I haven't gotten hungry yet. I really do not know what to expect. I keep thinking I am getting too much liquid or pudding and streching the pouch. Reading this I really don't know what to expect.:(

I had my band put in on April 25th and I can eat anything. I know it is head hunger but I am no good at fighting it. I had done well on Optifast pre surgery and lost 15 lbs. I have gained 5 and by now probably more. At this point there isn't anything that disagrees with me. I just take smaller bites. I go for my first fill this Friday and am really hoping this helps. I am not disappointed in the band or regret having paid for the surgery (self pay) but I am kinda disappointed that I haven't done more for myself to make this work better. This is just a tool and I choose what I put in my mouth. I choose whether or not to go out for a walk when my head says eat more. I understand and am going through what you are going through, luvynlyfe, but this isn't a miracle cure and takes effort on our part to make it work. Honestly, I am not judging you or preaching, but your post hit home. I have to work with the band and not against it. I wish you all the best.

Thankyou for your thoughts and experience. I agree the band is but a tool. I was fortunate that my insurance paid for every thing procedure. I do not think you are being anything but honest and I appreciate your comments. Thankyou!

Okay newbies this is what is affectionately called "Bandster Hell". We have all gone through it! It's the stage that happens between your surgery and the 1st-3rd fill! It does get easier!

Good Luck!

Thank you for this thread. I am about 3 wks post op. The first 2 weeks I was on liquids and felt no hunger. This past week, since I have started on mushies, I have been hungry enough to eat 3 cows and their mama.:( I thought I was the only one. Thank you for the reassurance and encouragement that this will pass and I must just press on. I have my first post op visit in the office tomorrow.

Tammygirl

Well, I felt the same way you're feeling. I join the support group where I had my surgery, its help me a lot, its in your head your hungry, or you need to drink at least 64 Oz of Water through out the day.

Wait 30 minutes after drinking some Water and see if you still feel the same way, if you are then eat food. The classes open my eyes for me, made me think before I would eat, still have 90 more pounds to go, but we will all get there. Keep up the good work.

So I figured that I would feel full alot faster after surgery. Wrong! I am going to have my 1st fill on 05/27. My appetite is just as it was before surgery with the exception that I leave about 5 more bites on my plate than before. Isn't this horrible? I believe that I am supposed to be eating refried Beans, scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, and pudding at this stage. The issue at hand is that I can eat a double cheeseburger and fries from Wendys. I sure hope the 1st fill assists me enough to feel extremely full after 1/2 of a cup of food like they said it would before surgery instead of what I am able to eat now. Now I don't eat like this all of the time, but the idea is that I can. If anyone else out there is like me, when the plate is put in front of you you're going to eat until you feel full. Not Just think you are full, but FULL. Surely $17,500.00 can do better than this.

See I think the problem most face is the way we think about food...the way it makes us feel. If u were to take a can of cream of chicken Soup and possiable add rice to it and eat that slow with nothing else i will guarantee u, u will be full and will not be able to eat it all, and even if u do so what.. when u are hungry eat something else but not a double cheese burger and frys.... Please do it for yourself.... U know u can do it if not u wouldn't have spent all of that money getting banded.... I also think it is mind over matter... if u don't mind the band ain't gonna matter... :(

Edited by mstrina27

I would get your $17,000 back and buy shares at the burger joint.

Try the Water first, see if you doctor has a support group you can go to. When you get your first adj that should help you. Try eat slow, take 30 min. to eat, put you fork down between bites. You'll make it....... :wink2: