Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

i personally do not think the band is easy at all, and i was never an emotional eater, one who loved sweets, etc....i had a problem w/the fork. i loved good food and lots of it, putting down the utensils was my issues = Portion Control.< /p>

my psych exam lasted 15mins; i was never asked questions regarding what types of foods i ate or when. i never had a nut appt, so nutrition was not necessarily discussed.

i am however someone who was able to handle diet with willpower while waiting for restriction, because i never really had a hard time loosing weight & i like healthy foods - keeping it off was something else.

i also enjoy working out. so the combination of regular diet along w/exercise didn't bother me one bit, i actually craved it & my body slowly responded. if you don't fit in that category, i think you could be set up for failure thinking the band is a one stop shop to fix your weight issue.

i think false expectations by drs - or those who don't have an indepth prescreening process to explain all these ins/outs is a problem, along w/those who think getting the band requires no effort. it's a lot of effort even when your hitting all cylinders, doing everything by the book. this of course is my opinion.

And atallen06, I think Jachut was referring to those foods that I consider totally safe! Ones that won't get stuck, ones that won't have big pieces that can slip down into the pouch unexpectedly before you have a chance to chew them up--nice "Slider" foods like yogurt and cheese and a whipped up tuna salad! :confused_smile:

Thank you!

When I read this thread it makes me feel like forevertry only joined this forum to down talk the band.

Lots and lots of people have had great success with the band. It takes disipline and eating certain foods and not eating certain foods. You have to work at it.

Me being someone not banded yet I don't really like hearing people calling the band a hoax. I have learned everything there is to the band and I know it's not a miracle tool...maybe some of you on here don't realize that or had a doctor who didn't explain stuff he should have.

You're going to be hungry at times but if you keep your diet balanced and eat Protein, drink lots of Water it wil help plus it's head hungry too.

The thing with the band is it makes it to where you can eat smaller portions and feel less hungry than before when you ate a ton and still felt hungry.

I know the band is going to work wonderfully for me when I finally do have surgery. I have willpower and I am controlling myself now to try to eat less and more healthy foods and stuff that fills me up better.

But I don't think anyone should ever come on here to a forum where people are coming to get advice and trying to change their lives and say that the band is a hoax or even think it's a hoax.

I say if it's not working right for you, you need to goto counseling and learn more about why you eat etc.

The band is a tool and will never be a miracle.

Edited by froggi1985

Me being someone not banded yet I don't really like hearing people calling the band a hoax. I have learned everything there is to the band and I know it's not a miracle tool...maybe some of you on here don't realize that or had a doctor who didn't explain stuff he should have.

I did not understand fully like you say you do. I thought I did. I did not realize that it was going to be like a diet. Frankly I only lost weight during the liquid phase. Then it all kind of slowed down, and then came to a halt.

Don't be offended by people who are frustrated with this procedure, if I had it to do over, I'd have chosen the gastric bypass, hands down. Instead of being mad look at this as a cautionary tail. I wish someone had warned me.

Good luck to you.

I guess I should explain that I have had the band for 2 1/2 years and lost a bit of weight (30 pounds) and then gained 1/2 of it back recently because I fell back into my old habits as I have done my entire life. I guess I was expecting a miracle. If I had known I had to put this much work into it I maybe should have gone to weight watchers? I think that most of us are emotional eaters and have had issues with weight all our lives? I have tried everything else with no success. Maybe my money would have been better spent on the sleeve procedure? I still don't believe what the advertising states and in my opinion believe it is somewhat deceiving to the public. Like I said, If I could change the way I eat and what I eat and portion size what would I need the band for? Thanks to everyone for their input that may help me and others.

You can get a sleeve, you can have gastric bypass, you can have your lips sewn shut, but if you are unable or unwilling to understand and change your emotional eating patterns, then you resign yourself to obesity. I'm sorry if that seems blunt, but it's the truth.

We don't get fat by a miracle and we don't get healthy by a miracle.

Don't give up, please. I urge you to find some counseling, find an overeaters anonymous, do something to save yourself. You can do it. :confused_smile:

But I don't think anyone should ever come on here to a forum where people are coming to get advice and trying to change their lives and say that the band is a hoax or even think it's a hoax.

I say if it's not working right for you, you need to goto counseling and learn more about why you eat etc.

quote]

I think anyone who has not had a positive experience with a band and is brave enough to post deserves a medal.

Everyone, in my opinion, needs to know the upside and the downside of the band. When people only see positive information, and then have an experience that is a bit different, it is very difficult for them.

I'm very glad that forevertry did come on and post. Support is for more than just the easy questions.

you can have your lips sewn shut,

You caught me off guard with that one, Hastings! I have just blown slimfast out my nose! Thanks! :confused_smile:

quote]

I think anyone who has not had a positive experience with a band and is brave enough to post deserves a medal.

Everyone, in my opinion, needs to know the upside and the downside of the band. When people only see positive information, and then have an experience that is a bit different, it is very difficult for them.

I'm very glad that forevertry did come on and post. Support is for more than just the easy questions.

I'm not saying people don't have bad experiences etc. These posts won't make me not have surgery. I am just saying some people will join this site to see the positive things about surgery...and then seeing these negative things like this might be discouraged to have surgery. :confused_smile:

I can't remember if I thought it would be easy. I was probably on a high like I am every single time I've ever tried the new diet. However, I know for a fact I did not think it would be this freakin hard. I have only lost 40lbs in almost 10 months. I know people who have lost over 90. They post, oh I lost 15 lbs this month, oh I lost 10 this month. Well I post, HOT DAMN I lost 1.5 lbs this month. I am eating no more than 800cals a day and losing 2 lbs a month if I'm lucky. I also exercise. However, I will not exercise like some who having started running marathons. I don't have the desire for that and doubt I ever will. I am not going to give up, 1 to 2 lbs a month is better than nothing, which is what it always was before the band. It's just very discouraging to see how much some people are losing. I think it will work for most, but for some it's easy, and for some it ain't. I think it works better for people who ate large amounts preband. If that's not why your fat, the band isn't going to work that well.

Froggi, people must decide to have or not to have surgery based on their research. Hopefully that research will include some stories that were not instant and easy weight loss. Otherwise that would be like getting married cause your friend had a nice reception and honeymoon. Seriously.

Edited by Hastings

Froggi, people must decide to have or not to have surgery based on their research. Hopefully that research will include some stories that were not instant and easy weight loss. Otherwise that would be like getting married cause your friend had a nice reception and honeymoon. Seriously.

A lot of lapband surgeons and nurses etc recommend this site to learn more etc...I know it's the person's decision...but things people say on here do effect a lot of people.

A lot of lapband surgeons and nurses etc recommend this site to learn more etc...I know it's the person's decision...but things people say on here do effect a lot of people.

As it should. I hope that anyone out there researching the lap-band sees these posts and opens their minds up so they can make an informed decision. Lets face it, the band is not for everyone.

I think it will work for most, but for some it's easy, and for some it ain't. I think it works better for people who ate large amounts preband. If that's not why your fat, the band isn't going to work that well.

Mango, I tend to agree with you here. I was having a lot of gastrointestinal problems pre-band and I had already cut out lots of the bad foods. I was eating very small amounts compared to the typical normal diet. I did have about a 5 day pre-band party ... eating things I had not allowed myself to eat. Then once I was banded I followed the doctors orders and lost then it has come to a complete stop. Maybe I'm just in a cranky plateau.

Keep trying, I started a post called Mentor, and I'm looking forward to reading what the 'pros' have to say. Maybe I'm doing something wrong and they can tweak it for me.

CoolCrystal - 800cals a day is restriction. I eat, I puke!

It is working at a lovely pace of 1.5 lbs a month.

I want it to work faster!!!!! :(

Eating 800cals or less and exercising, I should be melting at an alarming rate. Don't tell me to eat more calories, been there done that. This does not work the same for everyone.

That is sad, I've heard about people, and met them at my fills that got the band and continued to eat like junk food junkies. I gave that garbage up years ago, my gutt made me.

One lady at my last fill (I have had 5 fills and I'm at 6.6 out of 10) she got the one fill and never came back and gained ALL she had lost. She was at her wits end. She gained courage, came back and did the fill, I've not heard or seen her and wonder just how she is doing.

Lets face it I was in for an easier ride and that is just not panning out for me, I've faced much bigger problems before I'll get there one way or another.

--- going to go find more posts ... thanks for your input.

Edited by *Susan*
user request