Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reflux, but not too tight???

Just wondering if anyone had an answer to this...

I am able to eat and drink a bandster portion. I am losing weight again, but I am having reflux. I am not too tight cause I can eat BBQ Pork chops and they go down fine. I have not had problems eating, but I was having reflux. I have woke up several times in the night choking on my spit. Yesterday morning I woke up with a temp of 101.4 and feeling horrible..hurt to take a deep breathe...and then this morning woke up again with a temp. Went to my primary doctor and I had Fluid in my lungs...aspiration pneumonia. They gave me 2 shots for that, one an antibiotic. So, then I went to my band doctor and explained to him what was going on and he took .2 out of my band leaving 1.2cc's. So can anyone explain why I was having reflux, but I was not too tight?

Thanks in advance!!

I am gonna make an educated guess here. After another person on here was talking about the reflux issues they were having and you now mention it as well I started thinking.

My theory is the following: The band is placed around the upper part of the stomach. And my understanding (anyone with more knowledge can correct me here) is that the area where the band is placed is close to or placed on the same nerve that causes the reflux. So in theory the band could be irritating that nerve and increasing the incidence of reflux. When you get a fill the band could squeeze the nerve more than it normally would. The fill will give you restriction but also irritate the reflux nerve. So therefore getting a slight unfill might stop the reflux by decreasing the irritation. Just a theory of mine.

I have another theory (though I like yours too, Penni). I think it's more related to the passage of time and the relaxation of the bottom of the esophagus--is it a valve? Whatever it is, the presence of the band means that the top of the stomach has food pressing up on it when we eat even a little bit too much in a way that is not, well, natural. Over time, I think the nerves that tell us this is happening may just get less sensitive, so we may tend to do it more often. And the opening relaxes as well, letting undigested material reflux back up. That may be why people banded for a long time experience increasing incidence of reflux even with the same level of fill.

I know I'm still fighting with my tendency to eat too fast. It's soooo easy to take three or four bites of something and then two more before those have really settled, and realize I've overdone it. Now the signals aren't as clear as they used to be, so I really have to be alert to being full. I mean, there's much less chance that I will PB or feel any pain, so if I don't stop when I've had enough (which is STILL less than my eyes tell me) I'm probably going to overdo it and possibly desensitize my esophagus even more. So I'm working on eating even more slowly and trying to let my head catch up with my stomach.

I'm so sorry you got pneumonia, Kelly! I hope it clears up really quickly. When I was having reflux in January that was my biggest fear. Feel better soon!! :)

Kelly, girl I was thinking about you yesterday. I dont have anything to add, but I am strongly leaning to Penni's theory as being correct.

What did Spiegel say about this? Did he recommend a reflux prescription from your pcp?

Im kinda the same way... Im in need of a slight fill. I can eat aything, even bread! But Im still having reflux issues, so I know that it wouldnt be a good thing with getting a fill.

((hugs)) hope you are feeling better real soon! Ill try giving you a call later today.

Kelly - I'm sorry your are still having problems. I hope the pneumonia clears up fast for you. It is a good question you asked, and I am looking forward to hearing more of the older banster post their opinions on this.

My PCP did give me a prescription for the reflux, but with the unfill the reflux is now gone. Spiegel said that the little pouch does create the acid and that I was too tight and the acid could not go down, so it had to come back up...

I also think that my stomach has shrank majorly....I had 1.8 before and now I can't handle 1.4....I ate lunch today and did not eat hardly anything and I am satisfied. I will not be getting another fill. I will diet and start walking since our new neighborhood has sidewalks down our street and is very peaceful and nice. Not that we lived in the hood before, but I am more comfortable where we are now. I have 17 lbs to go and I believe without a doubt I can do this!!

Well, I found out today that he took .4 cc's out of me and left me with 1cc. So my doctor straight up lied to me............................not very happy!

What is up these docs and lieing to their patients? I have read that some wont even let the patients know how much fill they r getting or taking out, and some who "pretend to give fills" for the patient to "think" and will themselves to lose weight. Has any one else heard of this?

I don't have reflux, but my doc advised to get over the counter pepcid in case there is a problem. He said reflux can be associated with this procedure. Luckily I am pretty tight (no bread for this gal-at all), but haven't experienced the reflux.

My doctor tells me each time how much he puts in, then the next time I am in there he pulls it out and tells me how much is in there. It has been perfect each time.

Hi Kelly... sorry to hear about your problems. I don't have the reflux, but thought I would share my experience with what you mentioned about your stomach shrinking. My highest fill was 2.4... which I thought was my 'sweet spot' for about 3 weeks, then I couldn't get Water down. I had been at 2cc's over the holidays and still thought I was eating too much. I went from 2.4 down to 1.5 and about 3 weeks later starting having problems again. Now, I am at 1.3 and have been for about 5 weeks. Months ago, I was at 1.3 and could eat anything and everything. Now at 1.3, I have a completely different level of restriction. There are definitely things I can no longer eat like breads and my portions are now at an amount where I once again think I am at my sweet spot.

It is so weird to me... I once thought my sweet spot was 2.4 and now it is 1.3??? I had an upper GI today... just to make sure no slippage, etc. According to my doc everything looks great. Band is in perfect place and I have a small pouch and the barium goes to the lower stomach in a very small stream... My doc doesn't thinks I have the perfect level of restriction at 1.3.

So, now we will see if I can get the weight loss going again. I have been turning to liquids, chocolate and ice cream out of frustration and this has dramatically slowed my weight loss.

This is definitely a journey and not an easy way OUT!

I hope you are feeling better. Also, I don't know if you mentioned this... but are you allowing enough time after eating before laying down? I know that if I eat late, I can still feel food in my pouch before I go to bed. On these occassions, I always sleep sitting up... just in case. I think I read somewhere to only lay down 2-3 hours after eating.

Take Care,

(Anne)

My doc doesn't thinks I have the perfect level of restriction at 1.3.

Does he think you are too tight or what???

Sunday afternoon the last thing I drank was at 5 pm; went to bed at 10pm and still work up choking....so I definetly waited long enough. I am doing alot better, still hurts when I take a deep breath and my PCP office called me today and told me if I am not feeling better to go in on Friday and get another antiobiotic shot. After the unfill I have not had the reflux anymore. Thanks everyone for your concerns...and Anne, YES I TOTALLY AGREE...THIS IS NOT THE EASY WAY OUT!!!!!!!!!