Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How can I continue to lose weight before first fill

How can I continue to lose weight before my first fill. I had surgery on may 5th and have lose 10 pounds so far, mainly because of the liquid diet. I had my one week post op visit Tuesday and the PA told me that I may not lose anymore weight in the following weeks. That concerns me, that may discourage me. I will be on my Tread Mill and may start working some cardio. I don't want to over do it. I would like to hear from people who have continued to lose weight before their first fill to encourage me please help!!! I am still sticking to my post op diets to the T, don't want to gain any weight.

I don't know HOW I did this, but I gained no weight after soft foods & before the first fill... it was a miracle.

I think it was all about (insert EWWWW here) the bowel movements. As long as they're regular, you should keep the weight off.

I think they tell you to avoid fiberous foods with the band, but every time I ate oatmeal, I had a big bowel movement and I lost a lot of weight.

Other days, with no bowel movement, I just stayed the same weight, with no change.

As long as you watch what you eat ("don't eat fried foods" was my rule), then you should be fine. Relax and look forward to the fill! It's the REAL beginning of the weight loss!!!!!

Okay... now count how many times I said "bowel movement" :-)

You maynot lose any more weight in the following weeks because most of the weight you lost now was Water weight... that's what my doc told me, but I still lost more weight.

Don't let pople discourage you... every case is different. DO NOT GIVE UP.

Edited by cb11213

Hi, you will continue to lose if you use Portion Control. I really can not get rid of all carbs out of the house because I have small children; they can still eat. My children are eating healthier because of my diet. If I do eat something that is carb/ or a sin, I make sure I use portion control. I have lost weight and have not had a fill. My fill is on May 27th. Portion control and count your calories. Like today, I had two regular slim fast, I do not like the optima and canned splenda peaches with lite Cool Whip. Total calories as of today 520, I can eat a little bit more for my dinner, can't wait. I will have a can of tuna (in water) to get most of my Protein.< /p>

Edited by LLPlady3

I agree that Portion Control plays the biggest part. make sure you keep your portions small and eat Proteins first. also start working out as soon as your doctor says you can. I started by doing the treadmill at home first and when I got bored of that I joined a gym and now I love going. I do 2 classes a day and they are fun so that makes me want to keep going. I have been lucky because I am over 6 months out and still dont have a fill and I am continuing to lose weight. keep up the good work and you will be just fine

I resorted to Isopure from 11 to 2 everyday and after 3-4 days weight started ever so slowly down again. BMs make a difference as stated before. I drink lotsa wa-wa and eat/drink lotsa Protein. I must say I felt guilty about paying 4 bucks a drink but my Dr. convinced me I AM worth it and Ive come this far......so I drink and lose---cheers to losers!:thumbup:

Patches

I'm not sure I agree with the Protein first rule, that seems to be a very North American centric guideline (certainly not what my medical folks advised). I realised I had to increase my vegetables, in the form of home made vegetable Soup to help me get through the hungers, and a good bowl of oats keeps me going in the morning.

My first fill has been delayed - so I'm really working hard to continue to lose weight. I'm tracking my calories and keeping them at around 1200. I take in 70-80 grams Protein per day, around 36 grams of good fat, and around 160 grams of good carbohydrates.

I am steadily losing around 2-3 pounds per week. Don't get me wrong, still looking forward to having some restriction - I hear from my medical folks this likely won't happen until 2nd or 3rd fill - so I have to be disciplined for a bit longer.

So I guess the short answer to your question is the good old fashioned, age old answer - eat less, exercise more :-)

Edited by Luscious

Its fairly simple maths - calories in v calories out. We've all dieted before, and lost weight. We're only talking a period of weeks. So set yourself a calorie limit, continue to exercise and ignore the increasing hunger (we've all done that before for periods of time). Do that and you'll probably continue to lose.

Yeah, easier said than done, but possible. I think its a mistake to view the fill itself as the saviour, when you're the one in control of your behaviour. Its better to think "I have to do this and in a few weeks I'll have that fill to help me" rather than "I have four weeks to wait until the fill, until then I'm totally out of control".

People do find their loss changes/plateaus/bounces around a bit as they progress from solids to mushies, and week to week doesnt really matter as long as the overall trend is down.

I agree that Portion Control plays the biggest part. make sure you keep your portions small and eat Proteins first. also start working out as soon as your doctor says you can. I started by doing the treadmill at home first and when I got bored of that I joined a gym and now I love going. I do 2 classes a day and they are fun so that makes me want to keep going. I have been lucky because I am over 6 months out and still dont have a fill and I am continuing to lose weight. keep up the good work and you will be just fine

Wow no fill and you lost 60 pounds from november to April. How did you do it what is you calorie intake per day since you are exercising so much. do you take any appetite suppressants or diet pills. That is so grreat please tell me

slimm2be

Im not taking any pills or diet aids. my calorie intake daily is most likely around 1400 I actually dont really count my calories. I make sure my portions are small so that I dont over eat out of habit but other then that I dont pay that much attention to what im eating. I dont eat fast food or junk food but I do still eat chocolate a few times a week but nothing like before I was banded. And if I want some cake or a cookie I allow myself to have it but not everyday. I try to hold out for special occasions like birthdays or a night out on the town. I feel very lucky that I have gotten this far and still have not needed a fill. I was thinking of getting a fill a few weeks ago but when i really thought about it I realized that I dont need one yet. I felt "not normal" because I dont have a fill. But I would rather wait until my weightloss slows down to get one.

wow jetti I clicked on your myspace and saw your picture, you look AMAZING!! congrats on your weight loss!!

slimm2be

Im not taking any pills or diet aids. my calorie intake daily is most likely around 1400 I actually dont really count my calories. I make sure my portions are small so that I dont over eat out of habit but other then that I dont pay that much attention to what im eating. I dont eat fast food or junk food but I do still eat chocolate a few times a week but nothing like before I was banded. And if I want some cake or a cookie I allow myself to have it but not everyday. I try to hold out for special occasions like birthdays or a night out on the town. I feel very lucky that I have gotten this far and still have not needed a fill. I was thinking of getting a fill a few weeks ago but when i really thought about it I realized that I dont need one yet. I felt "not normal" because I dont have a fill. But I would rather wait until my weightloss slows down to get one.

thanks marineliebe its the first time in my life that the hardwork is paying off!

slimm2be

you are really an inspiration to me. I was wondering if you can post a sample menu of what you eat daily. i don't think i am gettin more than 600 calories a day in.. OMG jetti I just checked out your my space page you live in nj like me. Who was your doctor. you look grrreat I had my surgery at Saint Barnabas Hospital in Livingston, NJ Dr. Bilof was my Surgeon

Edited by slimm2be

Slimm2be

I sent you a PM with my menu

I saw somehting trying to come through and it wouldn't let me open it probably becuase I am at work there was a block

is there another way for me to look for the message

forget it I see it thanks jetti : )