Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I went to my first informational meeting at Morristown Memorial Hospital last night. After hearing both procedures I am afraid of the Lap Band and Bypass:confused2:

My BMI is 71 and I am over 400lbs. I know the docs probably think with the amount of weight I have to lose the bypass would be best. I also didn't know a port is actually implanted for life under your skin.

I don't mind losing the weight slow. I am also afraid of the extra skin. My head is spinning. I wish I could lose weight without surgery. My next appointment is next week for my nutritional consult. Please feel free to send me comments. Especially if you are from NJ. No one understand my plight.

Hugs:crying:

Hi supersize2bbw, Good for you for going to the seminar. Find out as much as you can before you decide anything. I can only comment on the lap band because that is what I have. I was banded in January and I have lost 1kilo a week since then. A bit slower than some. I opted for this though because it isn't permanent if for some unknown reason it has to come out. The next step would be the bypass. I figure if you start with the bypass there isn't any where else to go. They say bypass has a quicker weight loss to start with but then it evens out within about a year. Don't be afraid of the extra skin, it can be tucked in(lol). Good luck to you on whatever you decide to do. Read as much on these forums that you can and don't think all the rest of us weren't really scared about this decision as well. I don't regret having this done. I wasn't a very big eater before but I still couldn't lose weight even with exercise, now I can see results. I am now a believer. All the best.

Saleel22

After you do it, you will be so happy. Who cares if you'll have a port there forever. You are young now, but your knees will start to hurt and you might have other complications. We all worry about excess skin, but what is more important? We don't worry about plastic surgery at least 2 years after. Now focus on being healthy. It's not easy, especially after the 4th filling. You have to get used to what you can eat and food can get stuck sometimes. You can do it!

Hello, I have a lapband and have lost 30.lbs with 70 more to go. If you have alot to lose I would get the gastric. the lapband is a tool but you have to resist cravings and sometimes its hard. I have some restriction but I think I need more. Unfortunately I am a sweets eater and those tend to go down easy, whereas I have a harder time with chicken.Sometimes its frustrating when I go to group meetings and those with the GB lose weight so fast. Every day I dedicate my self to my lapband and doing the right thing. It is your personal choice but for alot of weight, I would take the GB.

Oh Honey, you are just fine. Take a deep breath!! My BMI is 50 and I am 58 and am being banded next week. Get some counseling and/or a support system where you live. They are all over, ask any medical people. It will be wonderful for you to get rid of the weight, I am sure. I rely on the Lord and help from counselors. The lap band is a tool to work with and you will have help along the way. Just take is easy on yourself. You deserve to be healthy and happy!! ChristyC

Hi supersize2bbw,

I'm 2 weeks post banding and had some of the same feelings you had, I went to seminars, support group meetings, & diet conferences 1 year before I made my decision (which my surgeon required before he would ever see me). I have lost 20 lbs. since my surgery.:thumbdown::w00t: You"ll be fine!!! Find a good support group and go, the members will help you and amaze you!!!

Once you make your decision and just do it you'll be so happy you did!!!!!!!!

I was over 400 pounds also (now I am at 381) and selected lap band. I know the weight loss with be slower, but it is better that remodeling your insides. Plus the recovery time is alot better. I had my procedure on a Friday and was back working on Monday and actually in the office on Tuesday.

You will make the best decision for you. :thumbdown:

Do your research, talk to your doctor and surgeon, ask lots of questions and make a decision about your health and your future together. If they strongly suggest one surgery over the other, ask them why they feel that way. Educate yourself as much as you can. That is very important to making this decision.

Also, the port will only be in place as long as the band is. If, for some reason, you one day have the band removed, port and all will come out with it.

Hi,

I am a newby to the site and I am Scheduled for Lap Band Surgery on June 4, 2008. I cannot begin to describe how anxious and excited I am to begin this new beginning in my life. I started this quests in March and have lost 16 pounds so far (prior to surgery). My weight at the start was 326 and is currently 310.

I attended the seminar provided by our local physician in Southern NJ and I was very impressed with the physician I selected who made the comment, "If you cannot lose the weight and maintain the loss with Lap Band then Bypass will not help you either. If you put weight back on with Lap Band then you will do so with Bypass as well. Both the Lap Band and the bypass are simply tools provided to help you stay on track, but if your mind is not ready to make a change in your life style, then success will be short lived."

I am in a support group that combines both Lap Band and Gastric Bypass recipients and I have seen and spoke with people from both groups who are 5 years post surgery. There was a small amount of people in both groups that have gained s ome weight back, and they admittedly said they stopped following the rules.

I am ready to make the changes in my life to better my health, and I am encouraged by the posts I have read here. Good Luck TO All!

supersize2bbw-

I have had the lapband at 329. I am pretty happy with it, but sometimes I think. I wish I would have the gastric bypass and I would have lost 60 lbs by now...but really, I am happy with my choice. I am healthier and can see a diffrence in just two months, plus I am proud of MYSELF, not just my band. Though I love my band. I cannot drink while I eat, which makes me sad, and it IS just a tool, I have to work at it too. I have to fight with myself, not my band to stay away from icecream and candy. bread, which I love, I can't really have bc the band won't let me.

My partner had gastric bypass 8 years ago at 335. She got down to 140, but is back up to 210. She is still more than a hundred lbs from where she started however. She still can't eat much bread, and if she can have a small amount of candy but anymore than a small amount ( a very small amount) and she gets sick. She can't have icecream or she will be sick for three days. This is ok with her because it was the only way she could make herself not eat it. IF SHE had the band it probabley wouldn't work for her because she likes Candy and sweets too much. She CAN eat and drink at the same time however, which I really envy. She can have beer, coke whereas I have to stay away from carbonation.

Figure out what will work for you rather it be lapband, RNY (gastric bypass), DS (Duedanol Switch -not sure of spelling), or any other choice available to you.

Good luck with your decision.

Tara

Hi,

I am a newby to the site and I am Scheduled for Lap Band Surgery on June 4, 2008. I cannot begin to describe how anxious and excited I am to begin this new beginning in my life. I started this quests in March and have lost 16 pounds so far (prior to surgery). My weight at the start was 326 and is currently 310.

I attended the seminar provided by our local physician in Southern NJ and I was very impressed with the physician I selected who made the comment, "If you cannot lose the weight and maintain the loss with Lap Band then Bypass will not help you either. If you put weight back on with Lap Band then you will do so with Bypass as well. Both the Lap Band and the bypass are simply tools provided to help you stay on track, but if your mind is not ready to make a change in your life style, then success will be short lived."

I am in a support group that combines both Lap Band and Gastric Bypass recipients and I have seen and spoke with people from both groups who are 5 years post surgery. There was a small amount of people in both groups that have gained s ome weight back, and they admittedly said they stopped following the rules.

I am ready to make the changes in my life to better my health, and I am encouraged by the posts I have read here. Good Luck TO All!

Good for you. I am sure you will do great. I am so excited for you.

Don't be freaked out by the port. I've sort of gotten attached to my little bump in my belly. When I first started to see it, it meant that I really lost some serious weight. It's become a meaningful memento of my weight loss journey.

The decision is yours. Put your fear aside, get all the facts and make the decision that is best for you. Good luck.