Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Were you informed about PS before you were banded?

What best decribes the way you were educated about plastic surgery?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. What best decribes the way you were educated about plastic surgery?

• I knew it would be a possibility, even before I had my band
    • I would have liked to know about it before, but I had no idea about PS until I was post-op from my band.
    • I had no idea about the role of PS after weight loss, and am now educating myself.
    • If I knew about the possibility of the excess skin before I had my band, I may have reconsidered the surgery.
    • My bariatric surgeon never even mentioned the possibility of needing PS

Not only did my surgeon's group NOT introduce the possibility of PS post weight loss, the response I received when I asked about it in the open group forum was "most people don't require plastic surgery after their weight loss so we tend not to discuss it". I didn't undertsand then, nor do I now, how someone can lose well over 100 pounds and not need a bit of nipping and tucking. I asked simply because I was already interested in a TT, knowing that the skin over my c-section incisions was never going to melt away on it's own.

Later, in the private session, I asked again about plastic surgery and was told I wouldn't need it. Due to my age (43) and the amount I wanted to lose (80 pounds) there wouldn't be much of a skin issue. I was disappointed as I already have an excess skin issue, PRIOR to losing any of the weight.

I would have loved to have a PS available for a Q & A session either at or after the initial information session.

I don't remember if it was discussed at the first meetings but it was definitely discussed at our support group and still is.

I was disappointed in my first consult with a plastic surgeon. The ps didnt' want to talk insurance at all - he said it was $10k and go home and talk to hubby about it. Needless to say I was heartsick - I had at least hoped he'd suggest a pannectolomy covered by insurance. I thought it was useless to go to the 2nd consult but went ahead to it and this surgeon - the one I went with - was all about the insurance paying for EVERYTHING! I said what if they'll pay for the panny but not the tt and he said we'll cross that bridge when we get there but for now we're going to get it covered. He did. He and God, bc I did do alot of praying. I was later told that the first surgeon may not have talked insurance bc they may not have paid what he wanted. For instance, if he charges 10k and insurance says ok we'll cover the tt but we're only paying 8K then he has to do it for the 8K - and being he was from a very upscale facility I can believe it. Anyway my band dr is wonderful and very happy with my results and I am very happy with my plastic surgeon, he just made me feel like he cared about me and my health, not just about the money.

I think most obese people know that when the fat melts away they are going to be left with hanging skin.

my surgeon told me before she even banded me that she would start documenting skin rash problems so that my belly "flap" could be removed after i lost the weight. i was banded at montifiore hosp. in new york.

My lap band doc told me I would need it the first time I saw him. He told me that if I was successcul with the lap band that there was no way that the amount of skin that I had was going to go away. His nurse told me that I would need an extensive TT...and she was right. Also, he said that it used to be his opinion that people should wait 12 months after reaching goal for a TT, but in the last year he had changed is opinion. He said he had witnessed too many people loose their weight, get so discouraged with their body image, and start putting weight back on. So he has given his full blessing for me to have mine 11 months after my lap-band surgery. I do know that they do bring in PS to their support groups 2 times per year. I live FAR away from my doc so I attend the local bariatric doctor's support group and they don't believe in educating people about PS. They won't give their blessing for at least 2 years after WLS. There are other problems with these docs which is why I traveled so far to get my band!

I knew it could be a possibility, but it was not my surgeon or his office that mentioned it. I did a lot of research before I ever got the band and came across this possibility on my own.

PS wasn't mentioned in my seminar that I can recall, but then I was a bit of a "deer in headlights" about it all - it was a lot to take in in a relatively short period of time and I only joined LBT just before I was banded. I definitely could have been better educated on that front and could had equipped myself better as well. Then I probably wouldn't have been so disappointed earlier this year to learn how much PS costs here (Australia) and how far I was from being able to afford it.

It wouldn't have changed my decision to get my band at all though if I knew then what I know now. I can definitely live with my body the way it is, but a few tweaks, nips and tucks sure would be nice!

I have not discussed PS with my lap band surgeon or the bariatric coordinator. From previous weight loss attempts I know that I may want to consider neck and breast lifts after I reach goal.

My surgeon didn't discuss it with me but I knew I was likely to want a breast lift and Tummy Tuck anyway. The boobs were hanging pretty low before the band (I was up to a size G), have deflated somewhat (now an E-F), and will deflate more before I reach goal. I had always planned on waiting at least a year after reaching goal to see what recovers and what doesn't, so I know the extent of what is needed. I have fairly young elastic skin, so I'm hoping I can get away with the minimum but it may end up being a full lower body lift, the boobs and the batwing arms... and the turkey neck... *sigh* just do it all, eh?

It was never mentioned to me, but I knew it was a possibility, I never thought I'd lose all this weight and have perfect skin and body. My doc could certainly refer me onto someone but I suspect I'd get a lecture, as the size/expense/discomfort of the surgery far outweighs the size problem I have. But I'll go ahead and get my boobs done, I dont really consider it has anything to do with my lap band surgeon anyway, thats my own personal business to organise as I see fit. I go to him to discuss my lap band not my tits.

Oh yes, absolutely!

:(

This was brought up at the informational meeting. The weight loss clinic administrator talked about this and also suggested we may want to plan for the expense and start saving up. I did not think too much about it at the time being in my 50's, but I can absolutely relate to anyone wanting to do this and I have a reductin scheduled! These stories on this board have inspired me.

My nurse had bariatric surgery and breast reduction. They have had a plastic surgeon affiliate from the same hospital head up a few seminars at my clinic.

I love my weight loss clinic. I am only 20 minutes from Boston, but chose Lowell General Hospital here in my town. They have some great docs, Dr. Michael Jiser and Dr. Shen have been doing the banding for a long time.

Later, in the private session, I asked again about plastic surgery and was told I wouldn't need it. Due to my age (43) and the amount I wanted to lose (80 pounds) there wouldn't be much of a skin issue. I was disappointed as I already have an excess skin issue, PRIOR to losing any of the weight.

I would have loved to have a PS available for a Q & A session either at or after the initial information session.

This is what I dont understand. What's it got to do with him? That's his opinion only - dont be disappointed, whether he thinks you need it or not is irreleveant, its the PS you choose whose opinion matters.

Although I agree, a PS at the info session would be a great idea!

The difference is, I was just reading all DH's literature, he's being banded tomorrow. It says very clearly the goal is to get you to lose 1/2 to 2/3 of your excess weight and solve your obesity related health problems, not turn you into a supermodel.

Still, I have the same doc and he has actually been very supportive on that score, I had no health problems in the first place and a BMI of 35 but he agreed to band me and he's been happy to continue with fills past a 50% weight loss, he hasnt stood in my way of getting right down to a low/normal BMI. He'd refer me along to a PS too if I asked (not that I need to ask him, I'd just go to my GP for that). But the point is there's quite a large gap between the expectations we go in there with and the outcomes the doctor is aiming for. So when they say "you dont need a tummy tuck", I'd take that with a grain of salt. That's in his opinion only! If you want one and have skin there to be removed, that's your business and your decision.

Edited by Jachut

Jachut,

I agree with you. I am having the breast reduction only and am perfectly happy to just look nice in my clothes at this stage in my life. I may feel different a few years down the road, but this is a varies from person to person.

I know its a probability that I am going to WANT to have it done. However my surgeon has not spoken a word about PS. It'd be nice if he'd have said at least a little bit about it, but nothin! Thanks to this board, and you, I am much better educated and fully anticipate that I'll be having ps after I get rid of all my weight!

I was banded by Dr. Julio Texiera at Roosevelt hospital in Manhattan, we were told at the seminar that we would have to wait one year after surgery for PS, he was so informative!:thumbs_up:, I will really need a Tummy Tuck and these bat wings removed!:thumbs_up:

I was told at consult that PS would probably be needed and how to get insurance etc to approve.

I too was also told it would have to be at least 1 year after being banded too.

Edited by Froggi