Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The ice cream keeps calling my name

I must say that I am an ice cream addict. And a bread addict. Well.I KNOW not to touch bread..but ice cream? well..after the fiasco yesterday with the eggs...ughhhh..so I allowed myself small..and I mean LESS THANK a cup of ice cream....

I need to not do that...and it hasn't happened more than three times..the first time 4 Tb., the second 1/2 c and the third about 3/4 cup. Now truly in some ways ts is a huge accomplishment because in the past I ate at least a pint at a time....probably more...

I am trying...but it is a battle.

Thanks for listening everyone. I hope I am not sounding too much like a whiner.

Cindi

banded 5/5

Hello my name is Laura, and I am an Ice Cream addict also. It is very bad when it comes to that wonderful creamy easy to eat sweet cold treat. I just cannot have it in the house. I am a stress eater, like comfort food. Ice Cream is the one thing I can eat alot of, so it works as a food fix for me. I can sit in front of the TV with a 1/2 gallon and spoon in hand and just veg out. It was not working for me, I did not let someone cut me open and mess with my insides just to be slower at eating ice cream. I got the band to change my life....... one time I was standing in front of the Ice Cream at the grocery store, I called my husband and asked him to talk me out of the store, about why I do not want to eat that stuff. So Girl you are not alone, I feel your pain. I have taken up knitting, you cant eat ice cream with a knitting needle in each hand.

Laura

If you have to give in to a craving ONCE IN A WHILE that is ok. Try not to make it a daily habit and sabotage all you have accomplished. Maybe try a healthier alternative like nonfat frozen yoghurt! There are a ton of sugar free, fat free options out there. I know they aren't as good as the real thing, but if you must indulge, it's a good option. Hang in there!

Thanks Laura...ir is my fault. I brought it in the house. Most of he house wouldn't miss it if it was not here. SO I guess I need to make the new rule..no ice cream. What about sf? But I need to be told the facts. I still want to do this but I want to hear the things I want to hear..like the person who said she had ice cream in the beginning...

I respect your weight loss..it is impressive and I want to be there. So I need to try harder to avoid the ice cream. UGHHHH This is not easy and I am just getting started. I will say though that I have not been hungry this afternoon..not since my Soup and ice cream, I also need to get moere fluids in. I took a long nap this morning and felt much better but that meant I had nothing to eat or drink until 1 this afternoon. not good.

Cindi

i am an ice cream addict. i can resist just about anything but ice cream. and its just my luck that its band friendly. if its in the house its gone. sometimes i crave it so much i can't get it out of my mind until i have it. so my new strategy is to buy only low fat and flavors i dont really care for. i say dont care for because there are none i dont like. woe is me.

I don't even miss my ice cream any more BECAUSE I make wonderful thick Protein shakes....get in my Protein and feel like I've had a good treat.

I use Water, ice cubes, good quality protein made for bariatric patients, and blend them in a Hamilton Beach Personal Blender....$14 WalMart....it crushes ice nicely and makes just the right amount.

Get creative with your shakes......there are good recipes on

www.davincigourmet.com

as a guideline. The SF DaVinci syrups and Torini syrups are great when mixed with protein powders and healthful yummy foods like pumpkin, berries, ReddiWhip, etc.

The calorie and fat count are low.....and the protein count is high.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!:wink2:

Thanks Gail...I actually made a great shake for dinner..coffee.,..ice..splash of milk and choc Protein powder....tasted like a mochacino and filled me up nig ime. I am going to try to have at least two of those tomorrow with Soup for a third meal. I think that will keep me satisfied...

Cindi

Have you tried the little one-biter ice creams? I can't remember what they're called now, but they are the size of a grape and they are little balls of ice cream coated in chocolate. Why not buy a small jar of those? that way, if you're craving ice cream, you can grab a couple of those and satisfy your craving! I buy these for my daughter because they are easy for portion control..... Some of the puddings and mousses are really great also, and that way you have the package itself controlling your portion. Or the mini-fudgsicles are great too!

You can do this Cindi! Enjoy your life and enjoy your band and just love everything in moderation. Laura is right: we spent SO MUCH MONEY on our band and we cut ourselves open to put a foreign object in there to help us with this food addiction. You owe it to yourself to just make a couple tiny changes that will bring you back on track.

You can do it and this community is amazing and will help you along! Be tough with yourself, pull up yer socks and get back in the groove, baby!

Can you freeze a Protein shake? Hummmm.... I hadn't thought of that, but damn, that could work. They have those little tupperware popsicle molds you could pour it into..... I may have to rethink that.

But, I too like ice cream. I've switched to sugar free popsicles and fudgesicles. It takes the edge off and satisfies my frozen sweet treat addiction.

I had to add in my .02 here. I love Breyer's Peanut Butter tracks ice cream. And do you know what I do when I crave it? I have some! I did not get the band to deny myself certain foods for the rest of my life. I got it to help me eat like a normal person, and normal people eat ice cream. Everything in moderation.

Personally, I feel like denying oneself something is going to end up causing a binge later.

Susan I TOTALLY agree with you and so does my doctor. If there is a birthday or a wedding, I want to have my little square inch of cake. If my husband and I go out to dinner for a special occasion, I will order what I want off the menu, I just won't eat the whole thing. I enjoy having a cocktail now and then. I just can't make a regular habit out of it, and use moderation when I do. I LOVE my surgeon for this. He said the whole point is to improve my quality of life. Not change it completely. To live like a normal person, not a deprived dieter for my life time. He also doesn't want me to measure, weigh, count calories, fat grams and carbs. He said that when he required that, his patients got bored, frustrated and depressed and didn't do as well. It was just substituting one obsession for another. I agreed and that's why I chose him.

Wow, if we didn't live in completely different states, I would swear we have the same surgeon!!

thanks ladies..i agreee as does my doc..but i am only week 2. did you do ice cream before you had lost your weight? i only do 1/2-3/4 cup and im satisfied..but it is like 150 cal and 2 g protein..i think...

cindi

I am also one who simply adores ice cream. So what i do is, one day week i have some. Usually Saturday nights i will have a small cup while watching a movie or whatever. But i only buy the quantity that will get ate by the 3 of us in my house on that one occasion. Then POOF no more temptation is around. I find that if i deny myself i end up sabotaging my efforts worse then if id just gone ahead and had a lil of what i wanted.