Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does your doctor recommend high protein/low carb?

Does your doctor recommend a high protein/low carb diet?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Does your doctor recommend a high protein/low carb diet?

• Yes - and I 'm from Australia
    • No - and I'm from Australia
    • Yes - and I'm from the USA
    • No - and I'm from the USA
    • Yes - and I'm not from Aus or USA
    • No - and I'm not from Aus or USA

My doctor specifically NO DIET, make healthy choices, very small portions but do not make foods off-limits.

i am from th US and my personal focus is not to give up any one food group. my goal is to be a HEALTHY person. i really think carbs are just as important as all other food groups HOWEVER they should be complex carbs made without over processing. if u eat white bread it will make ur glycemic index shoot up, if u eat whole grains it will not. its all about becoming healthy.

it makes me crazy to read that people are eating hardly anything yet what they do eat is crap and they can't understand why they feel so lousy. its really sad to me.

good luck all and good health!

amy

it makes me crazy to read that people are eating hardly anything yet what they do eat is crap and they can't understand why they feel so lousy. its really sad to me.

amy

Well said! High Protein or not, crap food is crap food. You can have a low carb diet that's completely rubbish and will put you in the grave just as fast as a diet full of processed carbs. This cut out one nutrient and every health problem you ever had will be solved nonsense is complete rot.

Moderation in all things sounds good to me.

here are some of the guidelines i have recieved:

Carbs: 40-50/day

Protein: 50-70/day

Fat: 30-50/day

and the calories...not specifically stated..but I know there is an amount that you must stay under to lose 1-2pounds a week (including exercise ofcourse)..and I will stay under that...seems fool proof to me..hopefully I wont skrew up haha

I'm from the US and I said yes to high Protein and low-carb, but this is by no means Atkins variety plan.

The goal is to make sure you get enough lean Proteins first, eat healthy fruits and vegetables second and carbs are fine for whatever is left. Carbs are not restricted in that I can have them, but they should be of good quality. Whole grains, potatoes, rice, etc. are fine but they should be healthy. The carb restriction is really more for slider foods such as chips, cakes, etc . . . which I feel is perfectly reasonable.

Because we have limited capacity, I think it is well and good that we focus on whole foods that are healthy and nutrient rich and limit those things that are highly processed.

I know that being an American I have heard the proponents of low carb everything extolling the diet virtues in my ears for many years now. It was the low fat or sugar free craze before that. I do not feel that I am taken in with that. Too much low carb or sugar free or fat free products can still cause weight gain easily if you take in more than you burn.

I think sometimes the low-carb debate is lost in our definitions of a carb. Whole fruits and vegetables are always going to be healthier for me than cakes, Cookies or chips hands down.

The whole Protein first, followed by fruits and vegetables and carbs for last rings true in practice as well. I do know that I love potatoes and if I eat a baked potato first, I will not have room for anything else. In real life, I take a bite of this, a bite of that, etc but try to keep a healthy balance.

Well said!!!

My program doesn't really specify how much Protein we should intake in a day, but to eat Protein first at every meal, just to make sure we are getting "enough" in before we get too full. Protein shakes are frowned upon since they don't fill you like solid food; only people who have a hard time getting "enough" protein are told to add shakes.< /p>

However, my program absolutely FORBIDS white rice, Pasta, flour, and sugar. We are supposed to cut these out completely. I asked about brown rice, etc. and was told absolutely not, that it's not so much about the nutritional value but that the consistency doesn't sit well with the band, which I think is a load of bull. Shouldn't I be -allowed- to eat brown rice or whole-grain Pasta, but if it DOESN'T work for my band, then not eat it?

I don't follow this, though. No, I haven't lost much weight so far, but it's not really because of my diet. I don't sit down and eat a pizza and a 2 liter of soda for dinner. I just have no restriction right now, so I'm still eating a lot of food, even if I'm making healthier choices.

My personal philosophy is that the food pyramid was created for a reason--you NEED carbs in some form. It seems too extreme to me to cut out an entire food group. So I do still eat white rice (though I've just switched over to brown rice), pasta, and potatoes. I do limit my sugar, but I don't cut it out completely. If I want a cookie, I'll have one, but not half of the bag like I know I could. I know myself well enough that if I absolutely deprive myself of something, I WILL binge on it later.

Once I get some restriction going, I believe a balanced diet will help me make better choices than forbidding certain foods and binging later, which could not only hurt weight loss, but could potentially damage my band/stomach.

Oh yes, you'll know when its time to say goodbye to some things for ever. For me, its weird, I can eat a slice of wholegrain bread, but not a donut. Donuts OUCH. Not that that's a problem. I can eat rice and Pasta easily enough and do so. Forget about ice cream - painful spasm-y belly ache. Bananas - oh my goodness they are IMPOSSIBLE. Apple skin. Not that I ever liked apples with the skin on much. Stone fruit, no way, no how.

My doctor does NOT recommend the high Protein low carb, but he DOES recommend that the carbs be a high glycemic index or complex carbs. He recommends brown rice and no white, sweet potatoes and no white, 100% whole wheat bread and no white, whole grains etc. The body processes these differently. they don't turn immediately to sugar. They take longer to digest and therefore you are satisfied longer. It doesn't take much. It seems to make a difference to me. My nutritionist said the same thing.

My doctor has never mentioned the trems "Low Carb" or "high protien", but advises that we eat our protien first, then our vegetables AND that we minimize or stay away from the starchy "whites" (ie, sugar, flour, rice and potatoes).

Other than the extemely carb restricted first two weeks of The Atkins Diet (induction phase), these are the basic guidelines for most low carb diets.

It's really no longer debatable that processed sugar, "enriched" white flour and rice are not good for us at all. We can debate potatoes, but seeing how our bodies metabolize (insulin response) them just like sugar, I stay away from them too.

Hammer :tongue_smilie:

Other than the extemely carb restricted first two weeks of The Atkins Diet (induction phase), these are the basic guidelines for most low carb diets.

It's really no longer debatable that processed sugar, "enriched" white flour and rice are not good for us at all. We can debate potatoes, but seeing how our bodies metabolize (insulin response) them just like sugar, I stay away from them too.

Well-stated, except that I'd consider potatoes non-debateable. Potato *skins*, perhaps. But even still there are more efficient places to get nutrition, as factors of both caloric and metabolic impact.

I am in the US, Dr. Kirschenbaum did my surgery in Nov of 2009 and I am down almost 60 pounds. He recommends a balanced diet that starts with Protein first. Then veggies, fruit, dairy and oh yeah, grain. Whole grains are best. I don't have any trouble getting Pasta or rice down, and enjoy the whole grain and brown versions of those.

A little trick I learned from the old Weight Watchers days was to use a small plate. It really helps. I bought four assorted salad sized plates in an antiques mall. They are very pretty - and just for me. They fill up with a small quantity of food, which is enought to fill me up. When we are out at a pot-luck, or a buffet, I still have trouble with Portion Control and end up leaving a lot of uneaten food on my plate. That makes me feel wasteful.

Mary

I'm from Canada. Low carb/higher Protein. Protein always at beginning of meal

I've only been at this for 4 weeks and can't say I'v got the hang of it yet. I see people on the board who lost a lot early post op on the and I feel annoyed with myself that I gained back 1 lb from the 12 I lost on the pre/op diet. somebody please tell me that this is not the end of the world, and I can be susscessful. Thanks.

I'm on an Atkins-like low carb plan.

The only reduction/elimination to my carb intake is white flour products, sugar, rice, white potatoes. I don't need the empty calories. And no longer have room for them in my tummy. I need the nutrients in the lower carb veggies, berries, and Protein. Obviously since my portions are smaller, it can't be called "high" Protein by anyone's standards. Much lower than most people's "normal" diet.

I don't understand the danger of not eating starchy sugary foods, but I'm no expert.

Edited by Ellisa
spelling