Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Be careful to take some deep breaths every now and then, or you risk atelectesis (tiny air sacs in the lungs collapsing / consolidating.....can very easily lead to pneumonia). If it hurts to breathe deep , try doing a few deep breaths after you take a pain pill.

In general, you need to try for 2-3 deep breaths every hour or so. Did the office give you an incentive spirometer ( weird looking breathing exerciser thingy)? They help.

Yes I have the spirometer, and used it faithfully til this! But now if I breath deep, and I keep trying, it sends me into coughing jags. I am seeing my PS tomorrow-----so I can find out which I need to do more, protect my new muscles he repaired, and my belly button, or to cough it on up-----which is ungodly painful!

Meanwhile I am on antibiotics----I think they were the cause of the reflux to be honest, they taste beyond nasty, and that is what the reflux was.

I know I have to keep my lungs working----I am trying...EVIL reflux!!!

Kat

I feel for ya Kat! On day 6 I started sneezing - thought I would die! I went to ps on day 8 and he checked everything out and said all was fine with the muscle repair but dang did it hurt! I went to get refilled three weeks out and wow what a fiasco that was. I had 7.5 before being unfilled and I knew I was a little too tight so I had band doc put in 6, I was throwing up 3 sips of tea. It was awful. I don't know what was going on, if the swelling from tt made the band swell too, so he took 4 out and I'm left with 2 - needless to say I don't have enough restriction but I'm so afraid of throwing up or even just pb'ing that I haven't gone back yet. All that said... I'm a gabber... just to say I know the pain and fear you were going through, I hope all is much better now. Deep breaths are important for healthy lungs so try. I'm a firm believer in pain meds, if you are hurting take something. Seriously. If you can take a med and a deep breath then do it. Its better then going with out pain meds and getting sick.

I have avoided sneezing so far---barely, but have done it!!!!

I am still coughing some this morning, but I can breath deep without choking, and without pain----none of the wheezing of yesterday.

I have mild asthma---only presents itself when I have respiratory infection or something---and I was wheezing yesterday. My PCP had me use my inhaler, and told me to keep trying to deepen the breathing. By last night I was doing the yoga breathing of in through the nose to a count of 4, hold the breath for a count of 7 and slowly out through the mouth to a count of 8. It was controlled enough that it did not immediatley make me choke.

I see my PS this morning at 10:45. My incision is seeping more than it was---but man where the steristrips are off, it is a fine line, will make a smooth scar if this is not serious infection or something. There is no odor, no heat, no redness, and no pain.

I have the smaller band--mine is 9.75ml, and will hold 5cc's. When he did my unfill, I thought I had 1.75cc's. He pulled 1.6--and said that was good since I had not had a fill in over a year and a half. My ability to eat more changed. If I pay attention, though, I have not had hunger, or any changes that way. If I serve myself small portions, I am fine with them. I will stay this way as long as possible, and fill when my weight changes or hunger returns. Til then will give my belly a break.

My weight has remained pretty steady for a few days. I was 184.5 the morning of surgery. Then popped up to 198 the day after!!! It has dropped and I have been at 177 for a few days now. Without the belly, I can see myself being able to do so many things without embarassment, that I think I could drop the last 10 or so with increased mobility----WHEN I get mobile again, I am still somewhat stooped over and not moving very fast!!

Anxious to see him today.....

Kat

Hi Kat,

Glad to see that's there's been some improvement for you :thumbup:!

Have you ever had anything like this happen before since you've been banded? Has refluxing been a problem for you in the past?

I know that you said you were unfilled prior to surgery, and I'm going to try to get through my surgery without an unfill. However, I sure don't want anything like this happening, and in fact, you've almost got me wondering if I should stay on liquids for a week or two after surgery.

Good luck with the Dr. this morning and keep taking good care of yourself! :tt2:

For many years I dealt with reflux problems due to a hiatal hernia. Both of my parents have the problem as well, and my Grandma for years before that! The surgeon fixed the hernia during my banding surgery, and I was good for a few months, then it returned. We did the swallow study and all to assure ourselves the band was ok---and determined it had simply herniated again. So I take Prilosec OTC and have the head of my bed raised and have no issues, as long as I do not sleep on my back. That has ALWAYS been the problem. Before banding to now, I could not sleep for long periods on my back without refluxing.

Well with the TT--laying in the bed was an issue so I was in the recliner----on my back night after night. Slowly stretching out more--until it was just too much!

Last night I moved back to my bed, and onto my side, was touchy as far as comfort, but with DH's help, lots of pillows and allowing myself a few minutes to relax, and it ended up being fine, and I went all night with no issues.

I slept like a log!!!

My Dad had surgery to correct his hiatal hernia several years ago, and it was a big surgery---only for his to re herniate within a year as well. We must have weak diaphragms!!!

I think as long as I go back to what I know works I will be fine....was just a lesson learned the hard way!

I was unfilled a week or so before surgery, and have not even contemplated refilling at this point. My fill was not tight, and has never been relative to my reflux.

I ate the night of my surgery----I never even thought of going onto liquids. Actually they had me eating saltine crackers in the surgery center to take my pain meds with. I have made a concentrated effort to eat healthy, trying to regain my strength quickly. I take my Vitamins and all----but eat normally. Might be something to discuss with your Dr.

Kat

Hi Kat,

Thanks for the very detailed info!

Seeing that you have had a problem with this in the past makes me a bit less concerned that it will happen to me, since I don't have much of a problem with this, pre or post band.

Thanks again, Kat :thumbup:!

Dannygirl, I don't know anything about LapBand International -- sorry. Perhaps you might want to post this query in the "Doctors and Hospitals" section of this forum. Good luck!

Dannygirl, you need to go to the main page "Forum" and as Frangipani said, go to the "Doctors and Hospitals" section, and under "Thread Tools" I believe it is, you will find an area for starting new threads.

I have not heard anything about this place.

This is an established thread, concerning my Tummy Tuck, so I just doubt you will get much response from asking in here.

Good luck in your search for info.

Well, back from the Dr. the discharge from my incision is called some big fancy word meaning FAT necrosis. Meaning dying fat. He said when he did the TT, he removed the blood supply to some of the remaining abdominal fat, and so it is dying, when that happens it basically melts----turning a yellowy/whitish color, resembling chicken fat. He said puss from infection will have a green tint and a defining heat or redness. He said with this necrosis, I do stand a chance of infection forming, but with my antibiotics and all we should be fine. He removed some of the strips, and I can see my big old owie now!!!

He showed me exactly how and where to apply counter pressure to my belly button to cough or sneeze. Said it looks like it made it through yesterday ok. He listened to my lungs and said it sounded clear.

I stopped at the store for a few things and I am exhausted!!!!!

Kat

Kat I had Fat Necrosis around my port incision after I was banded. It's such a weird term, and a weird thing! Sounds like your doc is watching things so you should be good. I am so happy things have gone so well and I can't wait to see updated pics! :w00t:

Kat. Hop eyou feel better soon. I woke up from surgery coughing and it last over a week. It was excrusiating. I feel for you. I cried a couple times and asked my wife why I did this. It does get better though and would do it again tomorrow if I had to. Hang in there :w00t:

Wow Kat...you're doing so well all things considered. You've been thru some tough stuff girl!! I truly hope that with each day you feel better. I'm glad you've got a good hubby and good docs taking care of you. Sending you bigs hugs and wishes for a continued safe and speedy recovery!!

-Amy

Thanks so much guys!! Neil, I too am already thrilled beyond belief with the results, and would fight to be first in line to do it again-----but as we both know, would love to do without the coughing!!!

My belly button is still fully encased with steri strips, and has not ooozed a drop of anything----so it is kind of hard to see---from what I can tell, it looks like it used to!! I mean it IS my old bb-stuck through a new b hole!!! LOL, kinda anxious to see it!

Kat

Oh, Kat girl, doesn't it just figure? Is it better now? Try eating a cracker or two - that sometimes will calm your throat and esophagus. Your recovery sounds amazing overall, so I truly hope this is just a tiny bump in the road and doesn't affect anything. Sounds like the swelling is going down a lot though, right? Are you able to walk normally now? And sleep in bed?

Yes the coughing has eased, and I am feeling great again!!

The drainage continues, which is kinda yucky---but in the overall view of things I can deal with it!!!

I am walking pretty normally, slow in and out of the car, that kind of thing--I am not probably as perfect in posture as I usually am. You get that after growing up tall---with a Dad at 6'5" always telling you to walk straight!!! But I am not hunched....just not stretching it yet. I am back to sleeping in my bed---I do find it hard at times (last night!) to find a comfy spot--it seems like I lay there, and this twinges, or that......but nothing I would call painful-------just enough to keep me from really relaxing and going to sleep well. Going to try some Tylenol before bed tonight.

I am off to the golf course today! Not playing---no way! My DH's employer is involved in an API American Petroleum Industry golf tournament, and BBQ cook off. DH has us a golf cart, and we are going to go make the rounds!

Everyone have a great day!

Kat

Hi Kat. I'm so glad to read that you are feeling better and well enough to go on a little outing today with your hubby.

I've been following your story with great interest. I'm scheduled for a lower body lift and medial thigh lift in a couple of weeks and the details you have provided have been very helpful.

We have similar stats. I'm also 5'9" and we've lost about the same amount of weight, so hearing how happy you are so far makes me even more confident that I'm going to be thrilled with my results too.

It seems like you didn't take pain meds for very long. Did you not like the way they made you feel or did you just not need them? My doctor says I'll probably need prescription pain meds for a couple of weeks. I don't like the sounds of that, but I guess I'll see how it goes. Are you able to drive yet?

Keep resting and taking care of yourself. Becky