Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Fellow May Flowers.... HELP!!!

My dearest May Flowers,

I am so upset I could cry. My boss came into the office yesterday with a cold and although I tried to stay away from him, last night – I started coughing and my throat was sore. Today, I sound like I have a school of frogs in my throat. I called the nurse of the doctor who will be performing the lap-band procedure on me, and she said, “Oh, you sound awful! Take some Tylenol Cold and Flu and give us a call on Friday… You may not be well enough for the procedure….” Now, I don’t have to tell you guys how that just crushed me. I had to psyche myself up for my May 13th surgery date, and I was SO excited, now I may have to postpone it??? I prayed and asked for a sign if this surgery was the right thing for me. Is this a sign?? I’m trying not to be depressed, but it is really….really…hard right now.

:):crying::angry_smile:

Hi I am also on May 13th and spent a few hours with my daughter last night and today calls me and tells me she just went to the doctor and she has a sinus and throat infection......I am freaking out!!!!! If I were you I would try to get enough sleep, drink lots of tea with honey, stay hydrated and take tylenol. If it's just a cold you should be ok by Tuesday. I am sure you won't have to postpone think positive and please lets stay in touch and lets compare post op stories!!!!

Oh thank you NY2LA girl. (I grew up in upstate NY). I've been checking frantically for replies b/c I don't know what to do. I will definately take my tylenol and get plenty of rest and Vitamin C. I would love to compare notes (hoping that I can have the surgery on the 13th....)

I grew up on Long Island and have been out here in LA for 15 years now.

I was thinking of going to my friends gym and sitting in the steam room to help clear everything out of my pores...just another thought. Vicks also sells these great tabs you put on the floor as you shower and you breath in all the vapors I bought the lavender and it's so relaxing and feels great you should try it just to take the edge off your nerves.

I would go directly to my PCP to make sure it's only a cold. I am recovering from the cold/throat infection thing myself and had to do a round of antibiotics (5 day). My date is not until the 22nd, but I was still pretty nervous about it this time last week. I felt really bad.

You have to have someone go to the drugstore and get you a neti pot. They are wonderful! It is like a little teapot that you put salt/warm Water in and pour into one nostril and the solution goes through your entire sinus cavity and out your other nostril. It really keeps the crap out of your head. It has REALLY helped me. Good Luck!

Neti pots are great! Really do help clear everything out!! You need to rest up, take some Vitamin C, and think positively!! I know it would suck to have your LB postponed, but try to stay positive! The power of thought is amazing! :biggrin2: I REALLY hope you start to feel better soon!! And IMHO, I don't think getting sick is a sign not to have the surgery, people get colds at in-opertune times a lot. So hang in there!!

Marine

Hey Angelsoul - hope your cold is nothing more than a little bit of the sniffles! Do you have a fever? Just try to rest and not freak out about changing your date. You just have to relax and things will be fine.

By the way, NY2LAgirl - I live in West Hills - we are practically neighbors!

I'm being banded on May 22 in West Hills with Dr. Paya.

Terri :frown:

Count me as another one who says for you to get the Neti Pot. They are little miracles!!! I had a sinus infection for a MONTH this winter, a BAD one, and after using it three times I was pretty much cleared up. Now that it's allergy season I use it once a day and I haven't really had any problems with my allergies for the first time in YEARS.

I had a mild cold at the time of my surgery and they still did it. If you have enough time to get over the worst, you should be fine.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I called my doc and the nurse told me to take Tylenol cold multi-symptom. I have to say, the neti-pot is new to me! Do you really poor it in one nostril??? I'm going to try the lavendar Vics strips too, they do sound relaxing NY2LA. I've got a few chills, and feel a little achy, but I am staying positive. In addition, I'll be taking it easy Friday and Saturday. I hope that does the trick so that I can have my surgery on Tuesday! Thanks again for all of your support, it really does make a big difference.

*jumping in* =)

you need to sweat it all out!!! take your meds, use the vicks,and sleep in sweats and throw a thick blanket on. that always works for me, and i bounce back QUICK! also use the neti-pot!

i hope you get better soon <3

I first heard of a neti pot on oprah...here is a demo I found on youtube. I have not tried it, but have a friend who has and she SWEARS by it...I just can't past the Water in the nose thing...*shudder*

[ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=uzK9Gn4E_Eg]YouTube - neti pot[/ame]

but it's OK!

Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions regarding my cold. I had to cancel my procedure date of May 13th, but they can take me on May 20th so I can still be a May flower!!!! And it's all for the best. I would have been rushing things if I had my surgery today and didn't completely get over this bug. By the way, I took EVERYONE's advice - I sweat it out, got some good meds., did a lot of sleeping and believe it or not.....tried the neti-pot. I've gotta tell you, I could not believe that I didn't drown myself! The trick is to hold your mouth open and remember to breath through it. IF you hold your breath, you start to swallow the solution. And it really doesn't burn or anything in your nostrils. It's quite soothing. I think the neti-pot did help some, but I had a BIG bug to get over (had a fever of 101.5 on meds.). I'll continue to use it and thank you everyone for your help! I'll be sure to report back after my surgery date on the 20th! You guys are the best! :thumbup:

YAY for being brave! lol. Seriously, from now on once you feel a cold or allergies coming on, use it. I haven't had to use Benadryl more than twice this spring and every other year I've had to take it several times per day.

Also, WOOHOO on only having to put it off a week!!!