Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very Bizzare Thing Happened!???

Ok, weird thing happened to me this weekend-but first, coming up on my 1 year band anniversary, 3 fills, perfect restriction but bordering too tight (only liquids for Breakfast and lunch and small dinner) but I'm OK with that...............anyway:

this weekend was walking around and crossed my arms over my chest....felt a weird almost vibrating sensation coming from my rib cage. (not my stomach) At first I thought it was somehow my cell phone vibrating in my pocket, but phone was in my purse. I shrugged it off.............. a while later, crossed my arms again over my chest and the same thing happened, but even more pronounced. No pain just this weird "moving" vibrating sensation. Almost felt like liquid squishing around. This happened 2 more times and that's it. I shrugged it off as a fluke then the crazy thing happened!!! The next morning I had no restriction at all!!!!!! Could eat whatever I wanted all day and as much as I wanted! This morning I felt a little restriction, but not the usual. What the heck is going on?

Before you all comment, I have a call into the Dr. and waiting for a call back.........but have any of you ever heard of this or had this happen? Is it possible my Fluid somehow all came out at my band site? Did my band pop open? I'm not scared because I feel fine, but in the back of my mind I am a little concerned and wondering if something is wrong with my band. I have grown very attached to my little friend and don't want to loose it!

please, Any comments would be appreciated! Thanks!

I had a "fill" last time (it's almost a year for me too) and then I had NO restriction at all. (I know this is somehow different from you)... but, they "think" that I might have had an air bubble, and now I don't anymore. So, maybe it was an air bubble, the vibration was it's way of working itself out????? Or, you sprung a leak. Let us know what it is!

is there such a thing- as a leak from the band and not the port tubing? Interesting...........

Edited by realmccoy

I know that everytime I go in there they take out the liquid to make sure there isn't a leak... so I'm sure it could happen. (Not saying that's what happened to you) I'm leaning on it being an air bubble.

Thanks, I hope that's all it was too, but how weird!

My doctor never checks the amount I have in already, he says it differs because there is "natural absorption" ?!

From what I've been told... and what I've seen.... they do have some fill that can not be accounted for due to the folds in the band filling in the first time... but, from that time on, they can account for everything that's in there. There should not be more absorption as you go along (it's plastic/rubber) and if it's a 1/2 cc less... something happened. So, he should be recording how much he's adding... and should be able to tell what's in there. I'm not saying that he should be checking it everytime (especially if you haven't had an issue)... but, he should be able to check it now. Plus, most doctors do check it because drawing out the liquid is the best indicator that they have the needle in the right place. I would ask him to check the level of the fill. Has he called back yet?????

How weird -- now I'm curious... looking forward to finding out what it was, if anything!

Yes, do ask them to draw out the Fluid each time. A little bit gone is fine, but if you're missing a whole bunch that's good to know so they can add it back in -- and if you're missing it twice in a row, there's an indication you have a leak.

I had a bunch of fluid go missing once (can't remember how much now - 1 or 1.5 cc -- it was a lot). Doc added it back in, and it was still there over 6 months later, so I clearly am not leaking.

Good luck realmccoy!I hope everything is ok for you. Let us know how you made out....

I hope that your doc called you back...Please let us know???

Well everyone, the doctors office said as long as I wasn't in any pain or vomiting come in for a fill.........they scheduled me 2 weeks out and the nurse said my band was probably moving around due to the need for a fill. You know, that whole thing when your stomach shrinks the band becomes loser. Maybe my stomach shrank that day when I crossed my arms!!! I have very little restriction since that day, but I guess some is better than none! We'll see what happens in two weeks!

Thanks for all your responses!

It sounds like you'll be A-oK!!! Good luck with the appt.

That could be it. Whenever I feel something like that, it's usually an muscle spasm. I've definitely felt my diaphragm spasm before, but given that you've felt less restriction lately, I'd listen to the nurse. That's kind of cool, though. I've never heard of that. haha.