Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

CIGNA - questions about 5 yr history of 40 BMI

CIGNA seems to require documentation of 5 year weight history with a BMI of 40 or higher. Well, my 5 year history shows a BMI of about 38 over the 5 years. Weight seems to be within a 10 to 15 pound range. My BMI is 40 now, but was less last year as I was on a medically supervised diet for about a year. In part it was to qualify for the band, but I stayed with the diet as it worked for a while. I hit a wall last fall (and was sidelined with an injury so I couldn't exercise anymore). Well, the weight came back --of course. Anyone with a similar BMI history? What was your expereince with CIGNA.

I have Cigna as well. My BMI was basically around 40+ for the five years, but they were pains about it anyways because I didn't have any co-morbidities. Just wanted to say I feel your pain and frustration. I finally got approved though and was banded a month ago.

Hi Wendy:

I have Cigna and have been approved. My surgery date is June 6. :thumbup:

As to your question about the 5 year history, it is my understanding that if your BMI is 40 you only need history for 12 months. However, I did send records of my weight over the past 5 years, it showed a BMI of 36-38 with weight loss and gain. My BMI has only been over 40 for the past 6 months ( I let myself go to be sure to qualify)

I do have sleep apnea, and arthritis, but that was never really documented. I did have one Doctor's notes from the sleep center.

I think the main thing they really look at if you have the BMI of 40, is the 6 months of doctor supervised diet and it HAS to be 6 consecutive months.

Hope this helps. I was approved quickly. The papers were submitted on a Tuesday and denied on Wednesday, the information about the 6 months diet was arranged in order and re-faxed and I was immediately approved! Yea Cigna!

Call then and ask questions. I did and they were always very, very helpful!:thumbup: Good luck:thumbup:

Cathychatts,

Thanks for info about your experiences with CIGNA. Sounds like you and I have a similar weight loss/gain history. I do have the 6 month diet. Have requested copies of the records from my doctor. I haven't dieted for the last 3 months so BMI is 40 and holding steady (trying not to gain, but not lose either). Have 10 days until I meet the surgeon. Seems like the next 10 days will take forever. I'll post an update after the 15th.

I have Cigna as well. My surgery is scheduled for May 22. I didn't have to provide my weight for the last 5 years, only all the diets I have tried in that time frame. I think they look more at your weight during the doctor supervised diet. They want you to have lost some during that 6 months time frame. I think they want to see a 10% loss. If you have any comorbidities, it is easier to get approved with a BMI of less than 40. By the way, I was denied twice before they finally approved it, so don't give up! Good luck!

I have the same dilema as well. I was deinied by cigna Cwith a 38 BMI also not the kind of major coomobidities they like such as high blood pressure, diabletes and sleep apnea ..that couldn't be controlled with drugs. I am in the process of an appeal process with Walter at Obesitylaw.com ...they are the best at what they do for sure. Currently I am a 40 bmi tho and wondering if I can't get the appeal if I should go :cursing:through this entire process all over again ...it would take another year tho.