Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone have the Realize band?

I wish I had a wealth of information to give you about my band, but I was just banded on 4/23. I have yet to begin mushies. One thing I have discovered is how the band teaches me to even DRINK my liquids more slowly. I will be especially cautious when I begin mushies & on to REAL food.

I hope you have great success!!!

I have the Realize Band. Going great so far! Happy to share any of my experiences with you, anytime.

I am being banded with the Realize band on May 9th and looking for anyone who has it on this site.

Yes, I have a 9cc Realize band. My surgery was January '08 and I'm doing great with the band -- no problems and I now have nice restriction after 4 fills. Although the Realize band has been used in Europe for many years, it is new to the USA. I believe doctors in the USA began using the Realize band in the fall of '07. My doctor uses both the Inamed and the Realize bands and says both are quality products. Good luck on you lap band journey.

thank you both for your responses. Do either of you use the Realize web support? I was told by my surgeon it is a great program. I can't wait!! Did your doctors put any fill in at the surgery time?

thank you both for your responses. Do either of you use the Realize web support? I was told by my surgeon it is a great program. I can't wait!! Did your doctors put any fill in at the surgery time?

My surgery date is May 27 and I'll be getting the Realize Band. I just had my pre-op appointment yesterday, and was given the Realize Band online package and my surgens id # for the web site. I looked at it this moring for a little bit. You only have access to part of it untill your surgery day and in your post op package you'll be given another id # to access the entire site. I've used Sparkpeople.com web site for about a year now and loved it. The realize band web site has a lot of simalar features. I think once I've spent some time on the site and play around with it, it'll be very helpful. Plus your surgen has access to some of your postings to be monitored which makes it really nice. You'll want to be on you best behavoir and keep it up to date. Have you tried it yet? As for the fill at surgery time, I was told that he will put 4ccs in or maybe it was .4ccs, but the will put some in, and no more fill untill 4 to 6weeks.

Edited by lorrie1

I am having my band put in on May 6th. I didn't realize there is a difference in bands. Do you think I can rest assured the best will be used?? I would think the Dr. would use the latest and best.

I can ask my surgeon on the 5th if I am given any say in the matter. This is interesting. Can anyone tell me anymore on it?

I was Banded with the REALIZE band on Jan 30 by Dr Matthew Brengman in RIchmond, VA. I have lost 48 pounds so far (that's including my liver shrinking diet). I am getting my band adjusted (puttin more Fluid in) because we only filled it slightly the 1st time. :) I think that the realize band is great, I had the choice between that and another band. :) I am still learning about the changes in my body and eating habits, basically thru trial and error.

GOOD LUCK to you guys! Where are you being banded?:) :)

Ashlee

Thank you all for your responses!! My surgeon hasn't given me any of the online stuff yet. I am sure I will get it the day of. Princess!!! that is fabulous about the 48pds. It would be neat to see a comparason between realize and the lapband. Does the Realize sight have message boards like this?

They do have boards, but I don't use them. I like it because I can track my weight loss there. :blush: My doc was great and basically compared the 2 bands for me, yours should be able to do that, too. :sad: I have about 120 more pounds to lose, so I am definitely gettin' my band tightened a little Friday...Where are you gettin' banded, 2btiny??

i have a realize band, also. i wasn't given a choice in what type of band i was banded with, but i really didn't care either way. my doctor uses only the realize bands. he likes the aftercare website. the website isn't bad, but if you are already using another site to track your food, it might not be worth switching. they did just update the site so that you can enter in your own foods if they aren't already in system. it is much better now.

as for the band itself, from what i can glean, it's wider than some of the older bands. i'm not sure why, but i think i heard that this might help with slippage. i also heard that it has a low profile port. all of this is just info i've gotten from this site, though.

good luck with your surgery.

The main benefits of the Realize band that my doctor explained were -

1. Awesome website/tracking that is linked to your docs office so that they can look up your progress as well.

2. Wider band makes slippage less likely

3. More pliable band is more comfortable and because it is less rigid food is less likely to get stuck

This is info from my surgeon. I was only banded on the 23rd but am already eating soft foods, do feel some restriction and am LOVING my band!!

Hi Princessash! I am being banded in Nashville at Vanderbilt! Woo hoo. I love hearing these success stories. I can't wait! I would love for all of us to keep up with each other during this journey.

Did anybody find out if it actually blows up into a triangle around your stomach when they fill you? I remember there was one thread about this.. the self anchoring system and how the band is just like an old swedish one and when you fill it, it goes into a triangle and not a circle around your stomach. My doctor refuses to use them... I'm sure they work great, but I remember getting upset at my doctor for not putting one in me and then I did more research on them and glad he put the AP in me. This is just my opinion and question though, so nobody get all crazy up in here.