Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking about it..............

Hi all!

I'm so glad I found this site. I've been thinking about getting the O Band surgery for months and months. I've been on every diet in the world, still I'm 270 pounds. I've been a vegan for the past few months and haven't lost anything.....

I've lost and gained the same 50 pounds so many times it's unbelievable. I have Health Net Insurance and I'm not sure if they cover the surgery, but I sure hope so. I'm planing on going to a seminar in the next couple of weeks.

What kind of side affects are there from the surgery? I have a difficult time with Constipation (since birth, believe it or not) so I take about 60 grams of Fiber a day plus over 1 liter of Water a day....has anyone had problems with taking fiber?? Or any Vitamins for that matter??

How long did everyone have to wait for approval from insurance companies?

Oh, I have so many questions...sorry.

If anyone wants to e-mail me directly with their story, feel free:

RMBeckwith87@yahoo.com

Thanks for all your input.

Melissa

The whole process takes several months and the red tape is a pain.For me it was worth it.Banded last june-75 down 45 to go! Good Luck and ask lots of questions of your doc.

Oh I hate red tape. I wish I wouldn't take so long. I guess the waiting is the worse part. :smile:( So does something stick out of the incisions? I don't have a clue what this will look like when it's done. How is the band "filled"? I keep thinking something is going to be sticking out of me like the air stem on a tire...lol Also, is there much scarring left? Melissa

Oh I hate red tape. I wish I wouldn't take so long. I guess the waiting is the worse part. :tongue:( So does something stick out of the incisions? I don't have a clue what this will look like when it's done. How is the band "filled"? I keep thinking something is going to be sticking out of me like the air stem on a tire...lol Also, is there much scarring left? Melissa

For me 4 incisions in a diamond pattern on stomach. 3 are maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch long and the other is about 2 inches long.After 11 months he little ones are almost invisible and the 2 incher is fading. The fill port is about the size of a nickle and it is attached to the muscle wall under the skin 2 or 3 inches below your breast and no you can't see it but, you can feel it if you push on it. To fill it they give you a shot of local pain killer then stick a needle into your port to fill it. Other than the initial pain shot there is no pain at all and the pain shot does'nt hurt anyore than any other shot you have ever had.You can feel it when they are filling you but, there is no pain.:cool2:

Thanks! I'm trying to picture all of this....I'm glad I won't have a valve steam sticking out of me lol

I called to put my name on this list for a seminar that Dr. Oliak is having here in So. Calif but was told the since I have a HMO my insurance will not cover that Dr. since it's out of network. I was SO crushed. Well I called Health Net and asked if the surgery is covered and they said yes and my first step is making an appointment with my primary care Dr. So I did that and I go into see him on the 16th.........we'll see what he says. :cool2:)

Melissa

Melissa, I was banded on April 28 by Dr. Oliak and things are going incredibly well except right now I'm really hungry and can only have shakes for another week. I'm feeling good though. I wanted to tell you that I go to a primary dr. who has many drs. in the office. When I had my first appointment with my Primary dr., I was fortunate that I got a dr. who was sympathetic to my cause. The other drs. that I've seen there just kept telling me to eat less and move more. It's just that simple. (Thank you doctor, I never would have thought of that). I wanted to let you know that if your first dr. doesn't refer you to a surgeon, probably another dr. will. I have Blue Cross HMO and it was all very easy. I went to my primary dr. last Dec., and was approved for surgery by the end of January. I then was scared about the whole thing and waited for several months to schedule surgery. Good luck and let us know how everything goes.

Thanks for sharing your experience and giving me your encouragement!! :frown:) I don't know what I'll do if my dr tells me to eat less and move more........arg! There's only one dr in the office at my place. I'll have to change primary dr.s and that takes a month. :)( I'm nervous about seeing the dr., wondering what he'll say. I've got 2 weeks until my appointment.....

I'm 2.5 yrs out and loving my band. I haven't had any complications. My primary "side effect" is ... uh... Constipation. But I'm fine if I up my fiber intake. I just have to make sure I'm getting it in. I eat around 1000-1200 cals per day, so I have to plan well to have a balanced diet (enough Protein, enough fiber, enough Iron, enough Calcium...). I do supplement when I need to, and always take a Multivitamin.

Good luck with your insurance! I think that's really the worst part of the whole process for some people.

What I love most about the band is knowing that my goal is within reach. I just need to make the appropriate food choices and exercise, and the band helps me control my portion sizes and hunger. It's amazing and wonderful. :)

Thanks for sharing your experience and giving me your encouragement!! :)) I don't know what I'll do if my dr tells me to eat less and move more........arg! There's only one dr in the office at my place. I'll have to change primary dr.s and that takes a month. :rolleyes:( I'm nervous about seeing the dr., wondering what he'll say. I've got 2 weeks until my appointment.....

Pretty much what I'm going through now. only one doc in the office agrees on the surgery and she left!! but my insurance company says if my cardioligst(sp?) will agree then we can do it. I go see him on monday. Its been annoying and its been 6 months on this already fighting with the docs to get this approved. my insurance once its approved the surgery HAS to happen in 30 days after that so once the process gets past this stall it should go fast.

It all depends on your insurance company how fast the process is. Some go fast some don't..

Good luck with it !! :thumbup:

Constipation, bah since I've changed my eating habits in preperation for being banded for the first time in my life constipation has been an issue. But I refuse to take more meds (15 is enough!) Have you tried apple or prune juices? or dried prunes? 3-4 dried prunes does the trick for me.

As for scars I had my apendix out in 2002 with laproscopic surgery and the only scar I can see is the 2-3 inch one at the top of my stomach and my BF can't find it even. LOL it looks just like a strech mark now. But of course I know its there. So I imagine it just depends on how well scars normally heal for you.

Thank you Telecia~ :))

My insurance company will approve with in 24 hrs after the Dr. say's it's okay. I hope this process will go quickly. I start college in the fall...am already nervous about that since I'm 40! lol

Melissa

5'8" 271lbs

goal 130

Thank you Telecia~ :))

My insurance company will approve with in 24 hrs after the Dr. say's it's okay. I hope this process will go quickly. I start college in the fall...am already nervous about that since I'm 40! lol

Melissa

5'8" 271lbs

goal 130

Wow congrats on the college!!

Thats something I'd like to do, after getting a good protion of weight off and improve my mobility. I also am 40 and due to letting severe sleep apnea going untreated 13 years ago my short-term memory is shot. I dunno if I should try for more education or not.

Thank you Telecia!

I'm sooo excited about going to college! I've wanted to go for 21 years, but hubby and I got married and had our kids very young (started at 18) so college was out. I'm so blessed because the State of California is paying for my education...I'm SO happy about that.

I have learning disabilities and my short term memory loss has also been a HUGE issue for me for the last several years, but I'm just going for it. I've raised my 3 kids (home schooled 2 of them) and my last is graduating high school this year (a year early) so the heck with it! I'm gonna do it and just get tutoring if I need it! :tt1:)