Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is Feeling Like Crap The New "Full"? Is Restriction Possible w/No Fills??

I'm still on thick liquids but I notice after eating only about a cup or so I feel really bad, almost lightheaded and nauseous. I notice that I stop then because I'm so turned off to whatever is was I was drinking, and it lasts for about an hour or so. Then I'm hungry again :blushing:

Is that the banded me feeling full? Or is that just my body still healing and trying to accept liquids? I guess what I'm really wondering, did you feel "different" being full post-band than before?

And is restriction even possible after banding and without a fill?

Full for me sometimes feels like pressure, but mostly feels like "not hungry" that over time turns into a feeling like I just ate a large meal. If you're feeling light-headed and nauseous, I would say eat less and eat it slower. It sounds like you might be pushing yourself, but you want to stop eating while you still feel ok. If you're eating a cup and feeling poorly, try stopping at 3/4 cup. Many (perhaps most) bandsters find they're full before a cup is done. It is a different feeling before than after, but to tell you the truth, I'm far out enough that I don't remember pre-op full. Pre-op full was likely closer to "stuffed". I remember thinking they were very different sensations, but I don't have the detailed recall to tell you exactly how.

Yes, restriction is possible without a fill. Especially the first few weeks after surgery, before your swelling goes all the way down. While you're still swollen, or bulked up on fluids, you're likely to have more restriction than when you're healed. And for some, the band itself - empty - is just enough to give some restriction.

I was banded not long ago - in late March. I too felt full quickly with liquids. I was also hungry again quickly. When I was brave enough to move to mushy food, this was the case again.

I do know that I felt weak when I was on just liquids. I got full and didn't feel well, but I just wasn't getting enough in my system. Once you move on to mushy food, you do start to gain a bit of energy. Plus your body heals more and the swelling goes down. For me, I was able to eat just enough more at that point that I didn't feel quite as sick when I was eating.

I have moved on to more "real" food - but I still don't eat too much. But I can eat some things that I have read can be trouble. I can eat a small amount of very thin pizza. But I have been very careful about food - and afraid on consequences.

I have not had any fills yet - and in fact have had a small unfill. I felt like I was having a bit of reflux. The nurse told me that you often get a bit of Fluid in the band during surgery. Sometimes it is enough for some people to feel restriction or tight from it. I had about 2.6 in from surgery and had 0.7 removed.

I still feel get full fairly quickly and now that I am eating real food, will stay full for longer periods of time. I do sometimes get hungry 1-2 hours after I eat. And if so, I will have a small snack.

I am not sure when I will feel ready to have a fill. As I said, I am too nervous about PBs and other lovely things I read about that may go along with restriction and fills. And at this point, whether it is the fear or the tightness I already feel, I am sort or eating as I should anyway.

Hope this helps a little...

Pre-band I would have defined full as "can stuff in another bite even if I shove it with both hands, Thanksgiving day full".

Now I define full as having eaten. If I get too full I feel very uncomfortable. I always know what I'm going to eat and how much of it. I fix a plate of food (a small plate) and take it to the table. When the food is gone, I am done whether or not I think I still want to eat. Almost always after twenty minutes or so I am satisfied.

I don't actually feel real hunger since I had a lap band put in.

Just had my first fill on 4/28. Lost weight (10lbs) after surgery due to liquid diet (2 weeks) than stayed the same for 4 weeks (DR was OK with that) until my first fill.

I now feel full higher up in my chest than pre band. I like it because it keeps my mind on what I am trying to do, lose weight!

I have to remind myself to slow down when I eat!

The wife and daughter help me.

What you are describing does not sound familiar to me. I don't think nausea or lightheadedness is normal after banding. It might be that you are still reacting to having just had surgery, but feeling full after banding should not hurt or be uncomfortable. It just feels like you've had enough to eat and don't need more food. If the feeling of being nauseous and lightheaded continues I would talk to your doctor.

If I were guessing I would say you are eating too fast. Tiny sips or tiny bites work better for me. I got stuck a couple of times this past weekend because I was eating too fast. Right after I got my band I could only eat a couple of ounces at a time without feeling a bit nauseaus. Try eating half a cup of food, stop, wait and see what happens. Also make sure you are getting adequate Protein. Not enough Protein can make you light headed.

Good luck, it does get better.

I agree with the other posters in that you might want to limit the quantity you eat at each sitting. My post-op instructions limit my intake to 2 oz at a time. The first day I was on full liquids I had more than that and felt bad. Haven't made that mistake again and I feel great. I know everyone has different post-op diets, but it might help. Good luck!!