Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Regain of weight

I was talking to a friend about the lapband surgery and he said some people regain the weight they lost. I am sure there are exceptions but does anyone know people that have long term results from the lapband. I do not want to have it done if in a year I will regain my weight. I am hoping this is the exception and not the rule.

I have been banded for 18 months and am still losing.

I was just banded in Feb, and have lost a total of 37 lbs. I also heard that studies show after having the band for 5 years people tend to put weight back on. I am glad that you started this thread..Would love to hear other responses. I suppose you would gain weight if you start to eat ice cream and all the stuff that makes u gain weight.

Almost no one in the US has had the band five years, so it's going to be a long time before we can attest to the very long-term results. But I will say this: the band helps US be more in control of what goes into our mouths. THAT effect never changes. The only thing that can change is how WE work with that effect.

And, as with anything, success is in the eye of the beholder. All of us as we age are going to find that our metabolisms change and weight might creep on. If one's idea of success is a specific goal weight and a regain of 20 lbs over 10 years is going to break the deal, well, sorry but that's probably the way it will go. But as long as we're banded we theoretically won't ever be able to eat the same way we could before banding.

There may be some rebound effect with all major weight loss, but if you lose slowly enough that would seem less likely to be a risk. And if we've been careful to incorporate habits that are sustainable (as opposed to strict calorie counting or carb avoidance), there's less risk yet. I guess time will tell.

Alexandra is absolutely right in that "success" is in the eyes of the person banded, and your ideas about what "success" is may have to be modified.

I still have problems accepting that even if I got to "goal" weight, at 44 I am NEVER going to look like a swimsuit model - never! I probably will never look good in sleeveless outfits, shorts, or - naked, period. In my mind, however, I still cling to the fantasy of looking "someday" like some of the young beautiful people I see... lol

As far as long term success - the truth is there are a lot of factors that determine this, and not all of them may be in your control. Some people return to their old habits, or inexplicably start to consume more calories via liquids/soft foods. That's something you can feel you have control over. But a reoccurring theme on the boards reserved for "experienced" bandsters is the fact that some are no longer able to tolerate the same level of restriction that got them to goal weight. So if you start having reflux problems 5 years out that are only resolved by getting an unfill - either paritially or completely - you are going to have more of a challenge on your hands, because your capacity for a higher quantity will go up, and that may allow you to exceed your caloric needs resulting in weight gain. The aging/lower metabolism beast will factor in, as well, as does certain types of medications.

There is, however, NO WINDOW OF OPPORTUNITY with the band - IF you are able to maintain the same level of restriction AND you continue to eat the same things in the same quantity as you did to lose your weight (or a little bit more to stop losing and maintain), then you will NOT gain your weight back due to a failure on the band's part. It cannot compensate for certain medications or the effects of aging.

The best strategy in being successful is to remember that the changes you make to lose your weight are a LIFETIME COMMITMENT. This is not a diet that you "stop" when you reach goal. IF you change your eating habits and your physical activity levels to reach your goal weight, you HAVE to maintain that same lifestyle to keep it there.

A reminder that muscle requires more energy to maintain than fat, so it is in everyone's interest to build and maintain muscle if at all possible - that will help combat the age/metabolism thing, but more importantly will increase your health, which really needs to be the focus in all of this. If you do not focus on HEALTH as the reason to make these changes, then once your reach "goal" you will no longer have "losing weight" as a source of motivation to continue with the changes you're making now.

Good luck in your process!

Donali: You never cease to amaze and astound me. I love you knowledge and I have missed reading your posts.

I agree with Donali here. I have been banded a year so far. I am still losing. Slower but still losing. I have learned that what worked in the beginning is not working for me now. I have to change my eating patterns and increase my exercise routine to continue to lose. The way I look at it my body gets used to the routines and then decides ok this is good right here right now and I ain't doing anything else. Then I have to jump start or shock my system into realizing it needs to lose more. Then it does.

This is a "tool" we have to work with to lose. It won't do the work for us. We have to help it along the way.

People can gain their weight back if they do not make and effort to change for life! Ice Cream, shakes, SWEETS! I have to admit, I have had great success, 31 pounds and 24. 76 inches in three months, but I do grab candies and bad stuff sometimes. We are only human. But I think because I eat so much less than I ever did, I still lose! Go for it! It is the best thing I have ever done besides marry my husband and have my children!!!!!! And I love the fact that I have an "Automatic Stopping Device"!

But a reoccurring theme on the boards reserved for "experienced" bandsters is the fact that some are no longer able to tolerate the same level of restriction that got them to goal weight. So if you start having reflux problems 5 years out that are only resolved by getting an unfill - either paritially or completely - you are going to have more of a challenge on your hands, because your capacity for a higher quantity will go up, and that may allow you to exceed your caloric needs resulting in weight gain.

Excellent point, Donali. It's certainly not like the band "stops working," but the way our bodies live and work with it may indeed change over time.

The best strategy in being successful is to remember that the changes you make to lose your weight are a LIFETIME COMMITMENT. This is not a diet that you "stop" when you reach goal. IF you change your eating habits and your physical activity levels to reach your goal weight, you HAVE to maintain that same lifestyle to keep it there.

Exactly what I was trying to say. Outta my brain, lady! :)

Well since I am 59 it will probably work just fine until I am ready for the home.

lol - Good, just one less thing to worry about... :)