Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

55 Yr old Banded Apr 23rd

I was banded on Wed 4/23rd at about 9:45am, and I was in my room by 1pm. I had a bad time with the pain meds the first day & nite making me nauseous and after trying several different types, I said forget it and just have been on Tylenol which doesn't do much. That first day was pretty tough, I could not swallow anything per Dr's orders and could only swish Water in my mouth and then spit it out. My throat hurt from the dryness of my mouth and I wanted to down my cherry flavored chap stick. I would have killed for some ice chips like others have had but it was taboo with my Dr. The next morning finally came after a long nite, and the stuff you have to drink so they can xray you and make sure there are no leaks was pretty horrific and almost made me puke but knowing once I got thru with that I could down some liquids, finally, I made sure I kept it down. My first meal of broth, juice, & Jello was the best thing since sliced bread..... Went home about 1pm and just took it easy. The pain from the surgery is not that bad but I get Migraines and for some reason had 3 in those first 2 days but this too had past. Feeling ok somewhat at this time and I am on stage 2 diet and had some thin Cream of Wheat with added Protein and splenda, oh it tasted so good. Had about 10 baby spoon fulls and was full.....I got one of those Magic Bullets which makes blending everything (since I am adding protein to all) really easy. I"ve lost 6 lbs since surgery 5 long days ago. Its true that it all gets easier every day that passes. Maybe its my age but I am glad that I am off work for a month, I just can't fathom having to be getting up and doing all that while going thru all this. So I salute all of you who are having to do that. I go to the Dr's on May 2nd for my post op. I am glad I did this and would do it again. Take care all.

Yvonnewink.gif

Congrats! Hopefully, I will be a month or so behind you. I finished my nutrition class today. Now, I am waiting for final approval and a date. I have had several abdominal surgeries and it does get better every day. Hang in there!

hello april bandsters i am scheduled for tomorrow. i am really excited but not looking forward to the pain. but i am scheduled to go back to wk 5/5/08. it is an customer service job sitting at desk but i will be okay. just looking forward to walking without breathing hard (smile)

ON MY WAY TO A HEALTHIER ME!!!!!

I was banded one week ago today and I'm down 9 lbs. The pain has gotten better and I can walk uprite again..... Today is the first day I am feeling normal again so everyone hang in there. I am also up to 15 minutes on my eliptical, yahooey! I already feel 10 yrs younger with a total of 25 lbs off my poor old body.:lol::huh2::unsure:

Welcome to the band wagon Yvonne, This is the greatest place to find new friends, answers and just good old conversation. I'm also 55 and was banded 4/21 and each day I feel a little better. Down 9 lbs. & so happy I did it. My port site is really the only spot that is still tender, but getting better everyday.

Again Welcome.36_22_26.gif sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb114&pp=ZNfox000

I wonder if your doc had you stay away from drinking or sucking ice chips because of the nausea - I hadn't heard of that order before. I'm sorry you had such a tough couple of days. I too had quite a bit of nausea my first night...and after trying something else, went with tylenol instead which worked just fine for me. The first month was the most difficult for me, not because of the surgical recovery, but because I struggled so much with the liquids, then mushy diet. I missed chewing in a big way. Once you reach your first fill, it's much easier. I promise.

Thanks Tadaa,

You look like you are more experienced at this tho I didn't see your band date you've lost a good amount of weight. How does this work from now until I get my first fill on 5/30th? I am banded with no restriction. So my stomach has been made smaller from the band but not tightened enough to be too restricted? I haven't eaten more than a half cup of food at any sitting and blessed that I really haven't been hungry. Can you help me to understand where I am at exactly?

Thanks

Yvonne:confused_smile:

Dandy75

I'm same as you, my port is still very sore. Saturday, I twisted to grab a magazine and OMG, it hurt so bad, I am hoping I didn't pop a stitch and its been even more sore then it was before.

Yvonne

Yvonne,

The account of your LB experience has really helped me. I will start questioning my decision once I get my surgery date and reading your posts help me. I am glad to hear you feel so much better.

I am considering lapband and have been reading everything I can for about a year now. I have to admit my emotions go up and down hearing the good and the bad. I have had a fundoplication done back in 1999 which slid down. My doctor said he would fix that when he goes in to do my lapband. Has anyone else had this done? Would like to hear from you.

Hi, 5 years ago I was interested in the gastric bypass and even went to the doctor to set it allup and they lost my weight charts for the last 5 years so I couldn't do the surgery. THANK GOD!! Now that the lapband is so popular and more safe I am so glad I waited to get it done. I had one doctor tell me that after age 50 most don't benefit from the surgery and I told him where he could stick it!! Just because we are over 50 doesn't mean we stop living and want to start feeling and looking good again. I have type 11 Diabetes along with many other problems associated with weight gain. It's been now 9 days after surgery and I have lost 15 lbs. I think this is the best thing since slice bread and am so glad I had it done. I know weight loss is going to be slow but I don't care as long as it's coming off andnot going on I am happy. I was borderline helpless and almost to the verge of not being able to take care of myself. I am 5'1" and my starting weight was 227 and now I am at 212. For all of you that have diabetes believe me this is the way to go. I am now down to one actos a day and my BS is doing great. I feel so much more energetic and am looking forward to doing things I haven't done in years.

One question for all of you, when can we swim again? :):P:smile::lol:

Hi, 5 years ago I was interested in the gastric bypass and even went to the doctor to set it allup and they lost my weight charts for the last 5 years so I couldn't do the surgery. THANK GOD!! Now that the lapband is so popular and more safe I am so glad I waited to get it done. I had one doctor tell me that after age 50 most don't benefit from the surgery and I told him where he could stick it!! Just because we are over 50 doesn't mean we stop living and want to start feeling and looking good again. I have type 11 Diabetes along with many other problems associated with weight gain. It's been now 9 days after surgery and I have lost 15 lbs. I think this is the best thing since slice bread and am so glad I had it done. I know weight loss is going to be slow but I don't care as long as it's coming off andnot going on I am happy. I was borderline helpless and almost to the verge of not being able to take care of myself. I am 5'1" and my starting weight was 227 and now I am at 212. For all of you that have diabetes believe me this is the way to go. I am now down to one actos a day and my BS is doing great. I feel so much more energetic and am looking forward to doing things I haven't done in years.

One question for all of you, when can we swim again? :thumbup::):thumbup::)

I'm with you Booboo, at 5' tall my starting weight was 209, day of surgery(4/21 )I was 206 and as of today I'm happy to say I'm 190 and can't believe how much more energy I have so soon.

At 55 years old this is the best thing I ever did for myself.

36_22_25.gif

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb113&pp=ZNfox000

I only poke in here every so often so I just saw your message...the month or so after surgery is your recovery period. I tell people to throw the scale out the window and stop worrying about losing weight during this phase. Your band is getting "seated" and you are recovering from surgery. If you lose weight, good for you, but that isn't the goal yet. Too often I read that some folks freak out because they haven't lost anything right away.

By now you already know about how it feels after that first fill. You're now learning how to live with the band...eating small, chewing much and going slow. Try hard not to wait to eat until you are starved or in a hurry because your band is unforgiving and you'll get slimed or stuck. Not fun. Nope. Not even.

The first couple of fills wear off pretty quickly so you'll feel hungry earlier than you expect. Apparently the lapband takes a couple of fills until all the empty space is filled up with saline...much like a garden hose doesn't shoot Water right away...until it's filled. Don't be alarmed or worry that the band isn't working for you...it just takes time. Very few of us gained all of our weight quickly and likewise, it takes a while to lose it...and slow and steady is the way to go.

I had my surgery in early December 2007 but I count my losses in the couple of months before too. I am very happy with my lapband and I'm glad that finally I've found something that feels like a safe and permanent solution.

Keep up the good work!

KJ

Thanks Tadaa,

You look like you are more experienced at this tho I didn't see your band date you've lost a good amount of weight. How does this work from now until I get my first fill on 5/30th? I am banded with no restriction. So my stomach has been made smaller from the band but not tightened enough to be too restricted? I haven't eaten more than a half cup of food at any sitting and blessed that I really haven't been hungry. Can you help me to understand where I am at exactly?

Thanks

Yvonne:confused_smile:

First of all, congratulations to all of you. I have just started the "process" and I'm not sure it's going to happen. My ins. said they will only pay up to $4000. and I know that will not cover much. I became interested in the Lapband because my daughter-in-law had it done in Oct. 2007 and she is already down about 85 lbs. She is 27 and a beautiful girl. I am going to proceed and see what happens. I really enjoy reading everything. It's been a great help.