Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Crushing Pills during liquid stage???

I hope this isn't a toally dumb question but I am wondering how you get down the crushed pills while you are on liquids. Most of my meds are not available in liquid form. So, If I have to crush them, do I just mix them in Water or what? Can't quite see how this is supposed to work. Appreciate your help.

Mary in Las Vegas:shades_smile:

I tried applesauce.......once.....only once.....never again......I have one pill which tastes very, very, bad. :crying:It is horrible. :eek:Nope. :ohmy:Not good at all.:smile2: bllleeeccchhh, shiver, gag. :drool:I seriously could taste for a couple hours afterward.:biggrin:

I cut the pills up into very small pieces and drank them down with anything.

Now I know why dogs don't like you stuffing their pills in liver sausage...but, the liver snausage would definitely have tasted better:tongue_smilie:

Crush it and put it in juice or applesauce. Not all pills are nasty. My Dr recommended to put it in food rather than liquid (I don't remember why though) Call your local pharmacist since they know the make-up of the drug. Some drugs can't be taken crushed as it will have a different effect. What do you take?

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your posts. I sent a note to my nutritionist. My concern is just for week one on Clear Liquids. No apple sauce, pudding etc. Just Water, tea, broth, and no calorioe Fruit drinks. I did a test and the crushed pills clung to the glass - didn't mix. Maybe I will have to cut them up into tiny pieces. I am on about 15 meds, including plavix, lisinopril, metoprolol, thyriod, nexium, lescol, potrassium, demadex, fosamax, and others. I also think I will ask my PCP what pills I can forgo for a week.

Really appreciate your ideas!

Mary in Las Vegas:shades_smile:

Good luck to you on your weight loss journey. When you can have full liquids try "Slim Fast Low Carb Diet" drink. 180 cal, 4g carbs, 20g Protein and tastes GREAT! (Vanilla Cream). Don't confuse it with "Slim Fast High Protein" drink which has less protein and more carbs (weird huh?) Good Luck!

Good luck to you on your weight loss journey. When you can have full liquids try "Slim Fast Low Carb Diet" drink. 180 cal, 4g carbs, 20g Protein and tastes GREAT! (Vanilla Cream). Don't confuse it with "Slim Fast High Protein" drink which has less Protein and more carbs (weird huh?) Good Luck!

I was able to just swallow my pills like normal. They actually had me taking pills while still in the hospital. No problems at all with them going down.

I tried crushed pills exactly ONCE. It was beyond the grossest thing imaginable (Wellbutrin is **disgusting**). I put it in some raspberry Crystal Lite. It was like drinking something with chemicals in it.

See if your surgeon will let you take your meds in small, chopped pieces instead. It is SOOOOO much easier - both to do (you don't have to run around getting special scripts unless you take extended release stuff...they can't be chopped), and to consume.

I got a little pill cutter from GNC for less than $5 and put the meds in a little pill paper cup from the hospital (they gave me ton of them) as I cut them. Then when I'm ready, I just throw them down the hatch and swallow with Water. For capsule stuff like Nexium - it is tasteless BTW - I just sprinkle on a toddler-sized spoon of applesauce. Oh, and metoprolol cuts super easy.

But seriously, try talking your doctor into letting you chop up your meds. As long as they're small enough to fit through a straw, you should be good to go. Oh, and I was allowed to take the applesauce while on clears. It's really less than a tablespoon you're consuming however many times a day you take your meds. (Just indulge and get the regular Motts. They tried giving me the sugarfree babyfood applesauce in the hospital. I'm not sure which was worse; the crushed Wellbutrin or the nasty applesauce.)

Good luck

-m

Edited by dancinglamb