Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scar Stages Share yours!

Here's my scar stages! I my skin does not typically heal well, and so I was nervous of how the scars would turn out. Before the surgery, my dermatologist recommended I take the pill form of Arnica Montana (available at GNC) which is a homeopathic medicine intended to promote healing. I have been taking it since 3 weeks before surgery and continue to take it. Also, at 14 days post-op I started using Kelo-Cote Advanced Formula Scar Gel (available at SkinStore.com) which was also recommended by my dermatologist. Looks like they are working!

post-225644-13813135909128_thumb.jpg

Hi BansterNYC! How many Arnica Montana pills do you take? The package says every 4 hours for pain but clearly that isn't what you are doing.

Your scars are the best on the site! After only 20 days. Congratulations on taking such great care of yourself. You are an inspiration!

(The skinstore.com site is a great recommendation too!)

<SCRIPT>document.write('icon_code.gif');</SCRIPT>

For 3 weeks before the surgery and for 10 days after surgery I took 4 Arnica tablets 3x a day. I take is about once a day lately. The tablets dissolve under your tongue. Several companies manufacture Arnica and sell it. I used the "Hyland's" brand.

Thank you for your kind words. I am thrilled with how well my scars are healing. I am lucky, and I have a GREAT surgeon!

Alright...I guess I'll be brave enough to put my big white tummy up here...this was 2 days post-op:

scars2daysPOa.jpg

It's hard to see much under the steri-strips with blood on them. LOL I'll try and take another picture soon to compare since most of my strips have fallen off.

OK, went ahead and took a couple with my cell phone. Not the greatest pics, but they give some idea. 24 days post-op (I WISH I looked as good as BansterNYC...WOW!):

scars24po.jpg

And close-up of my port scar since it's the biggest:

portscar24po.jpg

It's 1.5 inches. I didn't realize how angry it looked until I took the pic. I really plan to get something help take down the scarring, hopefully. I may try that gel that was suggested. Excuse the goosebumps - it's cold here (Colorado)!

Here's my scar stages! I my skin does not typically heal well, and so I was nervous of how the scars would turn out. Before the surgery, my dermatologist recommended I take the pill form of Arnica Montana (available at GNC) which is a homeopathic medicine intended to promote healing. I have been taking it since 3 weeks before surgery and continue to take it. Also, at 14 days post-op I started using Kelo-Cote Advanced Formula Scar Gel (available at SkinStore.com) which was also recommended by my dermatologist. Looks like they are working!

I ran out to GNC the day before surgery and got the arnica montana. Let me just say this, it has made my whole body feel better. I suffer from lateral epicondylitis from typing so much at my job and it has totally helped with the forearm pain and soreness along with the elbow pain I usually suffer from. I have had a very easy recovery and have been using the arnica 2-3 times a day since the day before my surgery. For those of you who are curious, they are tiny tabs that disolve under your tongue and they are pretty much tasteless, a little sweet that is all. I also ordered the kelo gel. I did get some gel from Dr. Ortiz called contractubex which I can't start using until the glue comes off. I have been using it on my acne scars and I see a big difference in just a week. The gel was $60 at his office and I found in on ebay fro $10-30 depending onthe size of the tube. It has heparin in it which helps the blood flow to the skin. I don't recommend using it until your incisions are healed, it may make them bleed.

Anyway, I pray my incisions look like yours! I usually scar really bad. LOOKIN GREAT!

AudricIan:

I noticed that you posted that you have lateral epicondylitis. I have medial and lateral epicondylitis in both arms. I think I injured both arms using an exercise machine. My left arm was really bad so I had surgery in December 2006. What a huge difference. I'm so glad I had it taken care of. Took 6 weeks to recover and then about 4 months of physical therapy, but the pain is gone in my left arm unless I'm very cold and then it aches a little bit. So much better than the constant pain I had before. My right arm isn't as bad as the left was so I'm living through that occasional pain. The surgeon that I had said that 50% of the time the surgery isn't successful, so I'm glad mine was.

Good luck with your sore arm and also with your band.

Sue

AudricIan:

I noticed that you posted that you have lateral epicondylitis. I have medial and lateral epicondylitis in both arms. I think I injured both arms using an exercise machine. My left arm was really bad so I had surgery in December 2006. What a huge difference. I'm so glad I had it taken care of. Took 6 weeks to recover and then about 4 months of physical therapy, but the pain is gone in my left arm unless I'm very cold and then it aches a little bit. So much better than the constant pain I had before. My right arm isn't as bad as the left was so I'm living through that occasional pain. The surgeon that I had said that 50% of the time the surgery isn't successful, so I'm glad mine was.

Sue

I don't know if it is the arnica montana or what but, my arms are so much better!!! I am a case manager in the WOrker's Comp industry and I deal with these claims all day long. I would love to recommend this product to others. It has to be what is helping, I have not changed anything besides that. I don't even where my braces anymore when I am on the computer, which is all darn day!!! My surgery recovery was a breeze too, a lot easier than others I have read about on this forum. Spread the word everyone!!! Arnica Montana works!

I had my surgery on 9/19/07 and my scars are still pink.

I had a breast reduction in Feb. 2007, used Mederma (Walgreen's version) on the scars and you can hardly see them now.

wow not that bAD.. i had gall bladder removed 8 monthjs ago with key hole surgery and there the same marks so i guess they'll re open the 1s i had??