Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking of Cancelling Surgery!!!

have a 72% decrease in the risk of dying over people who don't. Pretty dramatic, huh?

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/news_press_release,228703.shtml

First off, no one should have surgery that isn't comfortable with it. It's not likely to go well if you're having serious misgivings. But there are a few relevant facts that you need to add to your decision making process.

First of all, losing weight is something most obese people can do. What most people can't do is keep the weight off and over 95% who lose weight gain it back and then gain more after two years. The reasons for that are pretty simple and have nothing to do with eating well, exercise or employing self-discipline. Once you lose a certain amount of weight - somewhere around 10% of excess weight - your body begins cranking down your metabolism so that it becomes harder for you to lose weight. At the same time, it begins flooding you with chemicals that make you hungrier than you would normally be. If you can eat a big Mac with medium fries and be happy before you diet, you're gonna super size it to feel full after a dieting. And your metabolism will stay cranked down until you put the weight back on. Taht's what the yoyo syndrome is all about and the danger with the yoyo syndrome is that your body begins packing weight on at a lower and lower calorie level.

http://lovemylapband.wordpress.com/2008/03/11/more-on-genetics-and-obesity/

The beauty of weight loss surgery is that it's the first thing we've discovered that allows the human body to reset it's set point - meaning that, once you start losing weight, your body doesn't crank down your metabolism and flood you with hunger signals. Your body continues to function normally. When you lose weight through diet and exercise, your body, counter-intuitively, ceases to function normally.

http://lovemylapband.wordpress.com/2008/02/08/set-points-and-weight-loss-surgery/

That's the big picture. Good luck with your decision.

I think you are probably freaking out because surgery is so close but hey, there is no harm in postpoining if you are truly upset. Just put it off six months and if you are not at your goal by then, or well on your way to it, then do it. I think this: all of my best methods, diets, and thinking got me right here. I'm going to do it. When you are ready, and not one second sooner, I'll see you there!

Everyone has their own comfort level with the risks of WLS vs. being obese. I was once at a point that you were ... I had no big health problems associated with being overweight and I didn't let it interfere with my life ... or so I thought. Of course, I couldn't wear the kind of clothes I wanted to wear because they didn't come in my size, I ice danced for 10 years and never found a partner, and a host of other small things that I was so used to that I just accepted them.

But still, overall, I was happy and WLS was not for me. Maybe it's not for you right now either. I would ask myself a couple of questions:

Are the negatives of the band something you can live with?

Are the positives things that seem positive to you?

Have you dieted successfully before but gained it all back and, if so, what makes you think this time is going to be different?

Are the risk factors something I can live with?

Are the lifestyle changes that are required something I can live with?

Just Remember....the Diet Is Okay For Now But When The Newness Of It Wears Off And Hunger Plays Apart In The Diet...that Is Where The Band Comes In Handy.....it's All About The Hunger Or Lack Of It.

Thanks for all your responses, and to asnwer some questions, yes a psych eval was done. I don't know what they do during everyone elses evals, but all they asked me was why I was wanting to do this, is my family on board, what are my long term goals? That was it!!

But I think I have to decided to go through with it!! Thanks for everything!!

Can anyone help me get my ticker to work? I have tried adding it several times and I keep getting "Invalid Path" response when I try and preview or add it?? I don't know what I am doing wrong!!

Edited by ceinman

I don't know if I'm nervous or what, but I keep thinking that this surgery isn't going to happen. I keep thinking that I won't follow through and get everything done, that I'll keep postponing my appointments and won't schedule a date, I don't know. I told my fiance about this and he said that he won't let me just forget about it because he knows how much I want this. I think I'm afraid I'll go through with this, spend all the money, and it won't work. I'm not miserable with my fat self, so it's not like it's desperation that I want the surgery, but I know I need to stop gaining weight and move downward. It's a strange feeling that I'm at right now.

Hey there. I think I can relate to you. For the last 3 years I have fought having any kind of weight loss surgery, especially gastric bypass. I chose the lap band because it seems less evasive. And just last Friday (my birthday) I saw my cardiologist for an echo and was told that my heart is a bit enlarged and a bit on the weak side. So he handed me several packs of ACE inhibitors and now I realize the severity of being overweight. I also admit that I am scared out of my freakin mind now as I read all the complications that many have shared with the lap band. My surgery date is April 30th and I am suffering major anxiety attacks (taking Xanax) and I can't control them. I am very scared now and wondering if the lapband is the way to go. Very confused and frightened.

Hi Guys

I was banded on the 5th of March. everyday I second guess my disicion...I do understand fear...thats for sure!

I just wanted to say thank you for making me feel better :-)

I have lost 25 pounds so far. It does keep me from binge eating ( that was always a problem for me). I wanted to back out too, then a

friend of mine put it to me like this. If I needed a pace maker for my heart I would get it... If I needed a hip replaced I would get it.

I needed something to help me control my hunger to help me maintain a healthy weight...I got it!

Good luck friend.

M

Hi Ceinman,

I sent you a private message but don't know if it got to you or not. I've been having the same feelings as you. I'm overweight with no health problems. I do get tired though walking up one flight of stairs and I hate the way I look. I've dieted 100's of times only to regain the weight. I'm very nervous but ready for this now. I think it's the only way I know to take control of my weight. It seems the majority of people say that after they adjusted to the lapband, that it's the best decision of their lives. Please let us know how everything goes and I'll say a prayer for you.

Just something to throw in the mix. Most of us are terrified pre-op.

A large percentage of that, are ecstatic only 6 months post-op.

You mentioned what if it doesn't work 10-20 years out. Well, so what? If it doesn't, remove it! The band doesn't alter your body's configuration, so if at anytime you realize or decide it's not for you, you just get it taken out.

I wanted to back out too, then a

friend of mine put it to me like this. If I needed a pace maker for my heart I would get it... If I needed a hip replaced I would get it.

I needed something to help me control my hunger to help me maintain a healthy weight...I got it!

Good luck friend.

M

I love that! Thanks for sharing. I'm scared too. Of surgery, of what will happen after surgery, heck, I'm scared of NOT having surgery and being this way, and worse, the rest of my life. I'm not that old and I want to live to be really old... as long as my health is good. So, I'm sucking it up and doing something proactive (instead of just banging my head against the diet wall) for me, my DH and my DD.

Ceinman,

If you really want surgery and you've done your research, it really isn't any one else's business why you are doing surgery. Of course you're scared, it's ELECTIVE SURGERY!! We MADE the decision to do this. A doctor didn't come in and say, "okay, I made a Rx for you for such and such and oh, yes, I also scheduled a date for WLS for you b/c you need to have surgery." No, most of us, either on our own, or with a doctor's suggestion, made the decision and have done all the work to get this done. We have to work pretty hard at even GETTING the surgery.

Also, if you have friends who are PBing all the time, I'd be asking them what they are eating and how fast. From what I understand, that's unusual unless you are eating too fast, and not chewing your food. I have heard if you are too restricted then you can have problems that just takes a slight unfill usually to fix that problem. There are times though when it's more of a problem than just a slight unfill would cure but that's pretty rare and I can't imagine several people you know having the same problem unless they are contributing to it. I think I'd ask them specifically what's happening to them.

I'm glad you're feeling better about your decision. This is truly up to you, no one can make the decision for you, not your friends, not your family, not your doctors or nurses and not us. Take care and let us know how you're doing. Best wishes to you!

I don't know if I'm nervous or what, but I keep thinking that this surgery isn't going to happen. I keep thinking that I won't follow through and get everything done, that I'll keep postponing my appointments and won't schedule a date, I don't know. I told my fiance about this and he said that he won't let me just forget about it because he knows how much I want this. I think I'm afraid I'll go through with this, spend all the money, and it won't work. I'm not miserable with my fat self, so it's not like it's desperation that I want the surgery, but I know I need to stop gaining weight and move downward. It's a strange feeling that I'm at right now.

I had no fears of the surgery, but boy, did I fear it wouldn't work. Well I have put that fear aside, my band IS working.

Last time I lost thirty pounds it took 10 months and was REALLY hard. Now I have lost almost 40 pounds in half that time and it was easier than the last time, pre band and I'm not even at my sweet spot yet!:glare:

FairyFacade, good for your for pointing out the obvious. That is the beauty, it can be removed. I have empathy with those who suffer from anxiety, but we are all here to tell our stories. Best wishes in all your endeavors future banders, including lapband surgery. g2s

The only fear I had was that I would fail. I did not and will not fail. You have to make the decision that works best for you but I can tell that if I had backed out of the surgery it would have been the biggest mistake of my life.

I've been banded for 5 months and I've lost 35 pounds. I've never PB'd or vomited. I can eat good healthy food but not too much of it. I can still eat my favorite foods as well but again, not too much of it. It is not easy but it has actually been easier than I ever thought it would be. Life is good!

Good luck to you!

Well I went through with the surgery!! I had it today 4/23/08 and so far not too bad. I think I had my self psyched out, and was thinking it would be worse than it was. I am getting up and walking a lot, taking Gas X, and sticking to the medciation schedule, and it hasn't been too bad. But give me a few days and check back with me :redface: