Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking of Cancelling Surgery!!!

:confused:Ok, so my surgery is scheduled for 4/23/2008 and I am seriously considering cancelling it!! There are several reasons, 1) I have been coming across more and more problems due to Lapband. Everything from the tubing coming loose and embedding itselft into peoples stomachs, to after 5-6 years people getting REALLY sick and only being able to eat Soup, and they had developed other illness due to the band. 2) In my opinion the LapBand is a tool that helps you change the way you live. It forces you to keep a low calorie lifestyle and eat lots of Protein. After seeing how easy it is to loose weight on my pre-op diet, I don't see why I can't continue to watch what I am eating as I am now, and just loose the weight on my own. Yes, I have tried numerous diets before and they have all failed, but I have also never lost weight like this before and seen how easy it can been when I watch my calorie intake. If I am at the point in my life to make the commentment to have surgery, why not use the same commentment and loose it on my own, without having to have surgery.

I have had several friends locally who have had the surgery and they have all had the same problem of getting sick on a regular basis and throwing up. I really don't want to spend the rest of my life getting sick, and not being able to drink carbonated beverages ever again. Everything I have read or heard about the Dr. doing my surgery is wonderful, in fact I can't find anything negative about them at all. But I am just not sure I am ready to go to such drastic measures, and seeing that it is possible for me to loose the weight on my own if I just put my mind to it!!!

Am I just freaking out because my surgery is so close, or do I have legitmate reasons to doubt this???

Of course the decision is up to you, but here is my take on this:

What made you get to the point of scheduling surgery? More than likely you are like me. I could lose weight, but always put in back on. The band is a tool that allows you to keep the weight off. If you could do it on your own, I doubt you would have gone as far to set up a surgery date. The majority of patients do not have complications. They are very successful and happy with their bands. I love my band and know it was the best decision I have ever made for myself. Do you want to risk being overweight the rest of your life? Or do you want to move on to losing weight and starting a new life. Believe me, you feel GREAT when the weight comes off both physically and emotionally. Think really hard about what you want before you cancel!

I agree that it is scary reading about some of the problems people have but I feel they are very small percentages compared to those who haven't had any problems. Many, many have been successful this journey. Yes, I can lose weight but I put it back on... if that wasn't the case I wouldn't be here. I'm at the point that I have many health problems related to my weight I know without a doubt that I will die prematurely if I don't get it under control.

Yes, you could be getting cold feet which is very common but you also need to weigh the pros and cons and figure out what your quality of life will be if you aren't able to lose and keep it off.

I only got banded 2 days ago, so I am not an expert by any means. Nor am I doctor, but I can tell you what mine told me. He said that I would only have problems with vomitting if I tried to eat too fast and/or too much. While I am sure there are exceptions to that rule, it made sense to me as he was explaining it.

Good luck!

I appreciate all the responses so quickly!! I do feel that part of me is just freaking out because it is getting so close, but I also think part of it is when I went for my pre-op testing all of the nurses kept asking me why I was having this done? They kept telling me that I am not that over weight and they would have never thought that I weight over 200 lbs. I am 5'7 and weigh 230. I have not had any health problems so far, and my weight has not kept me from doing anything that I have wanted to do. My main reason for doing this is just because I want to physically look better to myself. I know that if I continue the way I am that I will probably eventually develope health problems, but I guess that is why it is hard for me now to go through with it, because people keep telling me they don't know why I am doing this, and I haven't had health problems as of yet. Another thing that makes me nervous is that we really don't know about long term effects of this. Like 10-20 years from now. Will the band hold up?

I have 3 more days to decide and really apprecaite all your feedback!! Keep it coming it really does help!!

I can understand that you have your doubts about the surgery and so my question to you is have you had your psych eval yet because they talk with you to make sure that you in fact know what you are doing. I've been banded since June 2007 and I'm finally learning how to make the band work for me. I hardly ever PB and if I do it's because I didn't use the band properly meaning I drunk my drink to fast or ate a little too much. I love my band and wouldn't give it up for the world. You should probably read some more threads on this site as we have people here that have been banded for 7 years and better and the majority of them love their band to. Remember that once banded you can always have it removed and go back to a normal lifestyle. You could just be getting a little paranoid since your date is so close but you really need to decide. Ask yourself are you afraid of surgery and if you aren't then maybe you do need to cancel your appointment. Make sure you give it a lot of thought and you don't want to make a decision that you will regret later. Best of Luck to you!

I had the some of the same concerns. Looking back, at this point at least, I don't know why I waited so long.

I have lost weight before on various diets only to put it back on plus 20 pounds more. I don't think that will be the case now. You are right, the lab band is a tool....but it is a tool that is very effective and one that I won't be able to get tired of following and start eating a large pizza followed by a half gallon of ice cream out of boredom/frustration/or other various factors.

In seven months, I have lost the equivelance of two bags of sac-crete. I just put that into perspective the other day and I don't have a clue how the hell I functioned after thinking about that....two bags of sac-crete :lol: Still at least one and a half, if not two, to go. :thumbup:

You ultimately have to make the decision on what you do. Look at the options available and good luck with your decision.

I put mine off for 6 months from when I was originally scheduled. I just

had to get a comfort level. In those 6 months, I tried other diets, did great for a few weeks and fell back into bad habits. I finally realized that I was just not going to get there on my own.

My only regret is that I didn't do it the first time....... I'd be 6 months further ahead in my weight loss instead of just starting.

It is scary, but you can do it!

They kept telling me that I am not that over weight a I know that if I continue the way I am that I will probably eventually develope health problems, but I guess that is why it is hard for me now to go through with it, because people keep telling me they don't know why I am doing this, and I haven't had health problems as of yet.

It is much better to address a situation before it gets worse. Are your friends suggesting that it is better to wait until you have problems, and then somehow it would be acceptable?

Another thing that makes me nervous is that we really don't know about long term effects of this. Like 10-20 years from now. Will the band hold up?

As has been stated previously, the band is removable. If in the future you believe that some as of yet unidentified problem is going to affect you, have the band removed.

All surgery has risks and there will always be someone who had a horrific experience. Everything from childbirth to vaccinations has an untoward result for a very small percentage of people. Do you do something or not based on the experience of the few, or of the many?

Whatever you decide, make your decision based on a thoughtful evaluation and not out of fear or pressure (from either side). If you decide against, that's fine. IF you change your mind, this group will still support you.

Good luck.

Ditto on everything Jack said. I don't know what kind of pre-op diet you are on, but logic has it that if you have failed alone on other diets before, (as all of us bandsters had) aren't the chances are pretty good you'll fail alone on this one? As for anxiety, I was the same way as Jack. I had such a bad anxiety attack 10 minutes before I was wheeled off to the OR, that my lips and eyelids went numb, and they had to drug me so I could get a grip! (It had nothing to do with the actual lapband surgery itself, just the idea of surgery. I haven't had good experiences in the past with surgeries) Another reason for my anxiety was because having this surgery would mean taking away my best friend- emotional eating. I loved to binge eat ALL the time. And having this band once I start getting my fills, emotional eating and bingeing isnt an option anymore. And that scared the living poo out of me. It is a battle that I still struggle with, and probably will for awhile. But as I start losing weight, it definetely becomes easier.

As for giving up carbonated drinks- when my surgeon told me at my pre op appt that they were no longer going to be part of my diet, you would have thought he told me he was going to take my beating heart!!! I was 100% addicted to cokes. But then I thought, ok, do I want health, or do I want soda?? (because either way, let's be honest, diet or regular, they are not healthy in any form or fashion) So I gave them up cold turkey before my surgery. Sure I miss them at times, but I get over it pretty quickly and have an iced tea. I wouldn't change the fact that I had this surgery. There were times after though when I was in some pain and overwhelmed, that I thought, what the crap have I done to myself?? But once you get through the first week or 2, everything changes. Whatever decision you make, keep your health in mind. Good luck!!!!!!!!!

Ceinman,

I too am getting nervous about surgery but I know that there is no way I could keep my weight off w/out it. Right now you're loosing weight with the pre op diet and thinking "I could keep doing this" but I could almost guarentee, if we checked in with you several months from now, youre old weight will be back on again and maybe more. That's how it's been for 95 % of us. Iv'e gotten the weight off more times than I could count but always gain it back and I'm ready for a change. I'm scared too about the changes in my life after the surgery but if you read the posts, the majority of people say their only regret is not doing it sooner. I'm being banded on April 28th. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

It is definitely a matter of prayer - to band on not to band. I am 6 days post-op and it is one the best things I have done for MYSELF. Be encouraged and continue to reach out to folks with positive outcomes.

Grammy in Columbus

If all of your friends are vomiting there is a reason for that because its not the norm. You vomit if you eat too much or if your band is too tight. It is a tool to help yout hrough your jouney to healthy. You remain in control of your food intake and changing your relationship with food. It helps you make the right decisions about food because your not hungry. If your not hungry you can make the right choices. The decision is ultimately yours but complications are limited and you can can always get it removed if you don't like it. I haven't seen anyone on these blogs talk about not like it. Just take a deep breath and have a good discussion with your physician. This is all about YOU...

:confused:Ok, so my surgery is scheduled for 4/23/2008 and I am seriously considering cancelling it!! There are several reasons, 1) I have been coming across more and more problems due to Lap Band. Everything from the tubing coming loose and embedding itselft into peoples stomachs, to after 5-6 years people getting REALLY sick and only being able to eat Soup, and they had developed other illness due to the band. 2) In my opinion the LapBand is a tool that helps you change the way you live. It forces you to keep a low calorie lifestyle and eat lots of Protein. After seeing how easy it is to loose weight on my pre-op diet, I don't see why I can't continue to watch what I am eating as I am now, and just loose the weight on my own. Yes, I have tried numerous diets before and they have all failed, but I have also never lost weight like this before and seen how easy it can been when I watch my calorie intake. If I am at the point in my life to make the commentment to have surgery, why not use the same commentment and loose it on my own, without having to have surgery.

I have had several friends locally who have had the surgery and they have all had the same problem of getting sick on a regular basis and throwing up. I really don't want to spend the rest of my life getting sick, and not being able to drink carbonated beverages ever again. Everything I have read or heard about the Dr. doing my surgery is wonderful, in fact I can't find anything negative about them at all. But I am just not sure I am ready to go to such drastic measures, and seeing that it is possible for me to loose the weight on my own if I just put my mind to it!!!

Am I just freaking out because my surgery is so close, or do I have legitmate reasons to doubt this???

I freaked out as well before surgery but I am glad every minute of my life I did it despite any fears I had! I do not have the problems you speak of, I had a few rough times but I wouldn't change it for anything. I am happy now and life is good.

If you could loose the weight on your own of course you wouldn't need surgery, When people say that I want to kill them. No one knows what it is like to be in your shoes.

Yes the band is a tool not a cure. But if you are committed to it, it works! Don't let others make you doubt your ability to do this. IF you want it, you can do it! :thumbup:

Having surgery is always a huge decision and should never be taken lightly. If you feel that ambivalent about it, by all means you should cancel.

As far as the complications you are hearing about with the lapband, I know there are possibilities of complications, but I personally have had very few negative experiences with it and consider my surgery date one of the best days of my life. I meet people every day and spend a lot of time on this sight and I don't see that many problems with bands slipping or eroding. I don't think it happens very often. If you know that many people with those problems, my suggestion would be find out who their doctors are and stay away! Lapband surgery is very safe and there are very few complications. The other factor that influences what kind of experience you have is following the rules! Your doctor will give you certain things to do and as long as you do them you will have very little chance of having trouble.

I COULD NOT lose weight without this surgery and I thank God every day that I was lucky enough to have done this. The other thing is, when I did lose weight I was always stressing about gaining it back, which I always did. The band is allowing me to lose weight and keep the restriction I will need to avoid gaining it back.

I was VERY scared just before my surgery and literally had a meltdown on the table before they wheeled me in. It was not pretty. I think that is normal. But honestly, the lapband is the best thing I have ever done. (well, it's in the top 5 with my husband and kids!)