Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What was YOUR Moment of decision?

I had been looking into this surgery for a bit. My mom suggested that I do it. My mom is one of the most superficial people in the world (I love my mom but this is the truth). I was born and raised thinking it is not okay to be fat. My mom was fat as a child and went practically anorexic the summer between middle and high school and lost a ton of weight. She was determined to never let me go through the suffering she went through before she lost the weight. Instead, without realizing it, she put me through a whole different kind of suffering ... and it attacked my self esteem.. and I became fat anyway.

One day I was at the bank... standing in line with one of my friends. We were laughing at something and went to talk to the teller. This older gentlemen came up to me and said "have you gotten a card yet?" -- and handed me one of the tellers business cards. He walked away and my friend and I were both very confused because this seemed so random. Why was this guy handing me a random bank tellers business card?

Then I saw writing on the back of the card. He had written:

"Check your weight before it's too late"

Edited by WhisperLightly

2, 3 times a month on a friday or saturday night I used to go to Barnes and Noble with my dad and get a latte and read mags and buy some new books, as Im an avid reader, and hes an avid magazine reader lol. As I kept getting bigger, and fatter, and more uncomfortable with myself, I stopped going. I started makign excuses to my dad, I dont feel good, Im tired, Ive got to work early, etc. Those trips were bonding time and I felt horrible making him go by himself, but I was uncomfortable being in public. I havent been heavy my whole life, so I remember thinking to myself That was my moment of decision. Id seen the commercials on tv about NWWLS. I immediately arranged to go to a seminar.

DELETED because....

Edited by notateechanow
Not interested in being used for a book

I was so embarassed of my appearance that i was becoming a virtual recluse! I constantly felt like i was being stared at when i was in public. On top of that i got to the point where mearly walking just a few steps brought on excruciating back pain. The lap band has basically given me back a life!

Kelin - I could practically write the same post exactly - it's precisely why I decided to get surgery. Back pain (everyone was asking me if I had back problems b/c I was always leaning on things when standing)...never wanting to go out and do anything...whenever I would be out people would move out of my way...i felt like a freak.

I was so embarassed of my appearance that i was becoming a virtual recluse! I constantly felt like i was being stared at when i was in public. On top of that i got to the point where mearly walking just a few steps brought on excruciating back pain. The lap band has basically given me back a life!

Awesome answers, every one of them.

It's probably true that MOST people don't have a single, defining moment like I did, that it is just a series of events that leads up to the "slow melt" that becomes the decision. Mine was a more specific, defined moment of truth.

Keep 'em coming, this is very interesing stuff!

There are several reasons why I had lap band surgery:

I have been huge since first grade.

I have tried hundreds of diets that all failed.

I knew that if I didn't do something, I would get up to 300 pounds. (I weighed 290 on my surgery date).

This was the real kicker: I was shopping for an outfit for my neice's birthday (she is a size 6). The sales lady came over to me and said, "Honey, let me show you were the bigger sizes are." I was mortified! I couldn't even get out the words to say that I was shopping for my niece. I just left the store and drove away crying. That day, I decided to be a self pay (my insurance kept denying my band). Best decision I ever made!

HH-I'm just curious here. I stayed out of your thread that has been moved twice concerning your health issues that have arisen (not sure that is proper grammar) from the lb. You state you want to warn those considering the lb to the possible side effects and complications so they are well informed.

You had numerous people attack you and your posts because they sound as if you are trying to sell something later on to us. Then, someone finds you on an internet marketing website stating that you were thinking about writing one or two e-books on your experiences and those of other bandsters you have "interviewed".

You came back with the stance that you have not written any e books or tried to sell anything.

I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt even though I was catching a whiff of the bs the others were attacking you on. Now, I come on this thread and find you asking for stories on how people came to the decision to get the band. You even take the time to give your story as to how you came to the decision. Yet, you never take the time to write a complete history on your difficulties from the band in the other thread stating NUMEROUS times you don't have the time to do so.

I'm not attacking you, just wondering about the inconsistencies in your threads. Also, you make no mention of your difficulties you have had, just give your story on your decision.

To me, it just seems as if you are "interviewing" more bandsters to try and get their stories for one of your e-books. If this is not as it seems to me, and you are on the up and up, I apologize. However, I for one, will not be sharing my story with you. I don't want to inadvertently end up as a source for what I see coming down the line.

I didn't have a 'moment' I had lots of them .... Medical problems kept growing, problems that should have been gone were getting worse. I loathed LOATHED shopping in the womens section. And I was so sick of dieting just to gain it back... lots of things brought me to this surgery.

HH-I'm just curious here. I stayed out of your thread that has been moved twice concerning your health issues that have arisen (not sure that is proper grammar) from the lb. You state you want to warn those considering the lb to the possible side effects and complications so they are well informed.

You had numerous people attack you and your posts because they sound as if you are trying to sell something later on to us. Then, someone finds you on an internet marketing website stating that you were thinking about writing one or two e-books on your experiences and those of other bandsters you have "interviewed".

You came back with the stance that you have not written any e books or tried to sell anything.

I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt even though I was catching a whiff of the bs the others were attacking you on. Now, I come on this thread and find you asking for stories on how people came to the decision to get the band. You even take the time to give your story as to how you came to the decision. Yet, you never take the time to write a complete history on your difficulties from the band in the other thread stating NUMEROUS times you don't have the time to do so.

I'm not attacking you, just wondering about the inconsistencies in your threads. Also, you make no mention of your difficulties you have had, just give your story on your decision.

To me, it just seems as if you are "interviewing" more bandsters to try and get their stories for one of your e-books. If this is not as it seems to me, and you are on the up and up, I apologize. However, I for one, will not be sharing my story with you. I don't want to inadvertently end up as a source for what I see coming down the line.

Thanks for posting this, Ceredad. I agree.

I was thinking the very same thing. Especially considering the amount of BS he stirred up over there, only to disappear from that thread and be found posting here. I am also choosing not to share my story here. The flies are getting too thick.

Not sure if any or all of that is true...but I don't have the time to do my research on this topic as you have. I don't want to be used, and I think it poor taste, if this is accurate. :thumbup:

I did Atkins and lost about 40 lbs and then started gaining back AGAIN. I was in the pits. Then, found out my husband cheated on me with my best friend who was also my boss. Yeah. I felt SO terrible about myself and I was SO desperate that I went for a consult within a month of hearing that news. I decided that I had to feel better about me ASAP and it's been the BEST thing that ever happened to me!!! I even worked things out with my husband but got a new job and new best friend. :rolleyes: