Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No sleep at sleep study

:thumbup: Hey guys, last night my sleep study was pretty brutal, I maybe dozed for about 20 mins? It might have been longer but I stopped checking my clock, I barely felt asleep at all. They guy didn't ask me to reschedual another appointment. Do I have to call my surgeon? Do I call the sleep lab? I really doubt they got enough information based on some light napping, I just couldn't fall asleep though!! I'm really worried this is going to set me back significantly. Any experience or advice with this situation, as I'm sure it is a fairly common one, would be greatly appreciated. Now its off to my psych eval :) Wish me luck!

Allison

I had to go back 3 times before I slept enough. The guy doing the study didn't tell me that morning. Someone else called later. Thought I would never get all that gunk out of my hair!

I can't sleep in strange places... really anal like that. I dunno how anyone is able to sleep hooked up to monitors and such... I really sympathize with you on this one. I didn't have to do a sleep study...

Dunno why.

I know when I went they said they would have to have at least 3 hours of sleep to get a diagnosis. Each place may be different. I think they will call you.

Hi Allison:

I thought I hardly slept when I had my sleep study too. However, they did get enough data. I hope they got enough on you.

Take care.

Sue

Often it only 'feels' like we didn't sleep, when in actual fact we may have slept much longer.

When I had a sleep study years ago, I told the clinic I hadn't slept at all. The technician said, pshaw....people always say that.

Then he got back to me - oh yeah, you're right. You didn't sleep.

I had my sleep study a week ago and I did sleep only due to the fact that I took an Ambien. My tech said they need 5 hours of data which does not have to be sleeping. They called me by Wednesday and gave me my results. Unfortunately I have severe sleep apnea and will go back for a CPAP study. So for me I will have to do it all again! Good luck! Tamara

when I had it done the tech asked me how long I thought that I had slept. I felt like it was just an hour because I had such a hard time falling asleep. He told me that I slept 6 hours!! So sometimes are perceptions are off.

There is something to be said about sleeping in your own bed!! When you sleep in a strange place with wires hooked up to everything you own...well, I found it almost impossible to "get" to sleep much less stay there.

However, they got what they needed and I didn't have to repeat the test. Good luck to you and hopefully you slept more than you think you did!

Hey guys thanks for all the support. Ugh I hope I never have to do it again, if I do I'm definately getting some sleeping pills. The wires all over me were uncomfortable, but I especially didn't like the tubes going up into my nose *ew* The glue wasnt actually that bad, it all came out in the shower I took when I got home, I just washed my hair twice then used a deep conditioner, haha in case you have to go through this!! At my psych eval I brought up this concern and he (the psychiatrist or whatever he is lol) said if there was no sign of sleep apnea then I would probably be fine. *fingers crossed!!!* I usually have a hard time sleeping in strange places too. As soon as I got home at around 6:30 I took a shower then hopped in bed, I had another appointment at 9 am but that hour and a half long nap felt like the best sleep I had ever had lol. During the sleep study I remember looking at the clock around 2:30, then I kind of zoned out until around 4:30, I'm hoping this zoning was some form of sleep lol. Thanks again everyone!!!

Edited by Allison

Hi Allison,

Did you know there are places that can do your study at your home? Someone comes out and puts all the little things on you and hooks you up to a machine that captures the data.

The next day they come and pick everything up. So, if you have to do it again, request an in home sleep study!

My experience was much like everyone else. I told the nurse the next morning that I didn't sleep at all because the man in the next room kept me up all night with his snoring.

I noticed that his room was empty and I said "oh I guess he already left." She said he got up at 5:00 am and left because my snoring kept him awake all night and he couldn't take anymore! heh hehe

Hi Allison,

Did you know there are places that can do your study at your home? Someone comes out and puts all the little things on you and hooks you up to a machine that captures the data.

The next day they come and pick everything up. So, if you have to do it again, request an in home sleep study!

My experience was much like everyone else. I told the nurse the next morning that I didn't sleep at all because the man in the next room kept me up all night with his snoring.

I noticed that his room was empty and I said "oh I guess he already left." She said he got up at 5:00 am and left because my snoring kept him awake all night and he couldn't take anymore! heh hehe

Thanks Jena! That sounds like a really good idea, although I'd have to clean my room, tehehe, The rooms I was in was nice and quiet, it was really just the wiring and tubes and the strange room and such that kept me up. If I have to do it again I will def look into having it at home.

Haha you're story about the snoring sounds like me and my best friend, we sleep over each others houses a lot, but I remember the first time I stayed at his house back when we met in highschool his snoring kept me up for like, half the night! Apparently MY snoring kept him up the other half lol. We argued about who was the snorer all morning lol, now we just tease each other about it and he even brings headphones to my house now haha (Don't worry he's gay lol)