Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I Normal??: The Saga Continues

I have been posting like a crazy person, but the solitude is breaking me down! I sit at home every day listening to digestive sounds and taking note of every little pain and cramp. This is my third day on full liquids and I don't feel like I did well on my first two. Day 1, I kept forgetting to not drink after I ate. Day 2, I had that mastered but ate too much and drank to much. I felt full and bloated and weird. I was horrified with myself and was perfect today. I am scared of damaging my band/stomach or causing a slip and pray that I didn't harm it. How much can it take? Is a band beginner eating 2 ounces too much or taking to much Fluid at once going to wreck it? Is there a learning curve? I plan to follow everything to the letter. Please tell me I am not the only one who has had early mishaps?? On a positive note, I had a pedicure today and for a whole hour I did not obsess on my band!! :huh2:

Edited by TxChelsey

u know what... the bottom line is that u can tell yourself that u took too much in, and u are doing the right things to make changes so that u will see great progression. Congrats on being on the liquid phase for 3-days thus far... kudos to u...

Its easy to start feeling a bit stir-crazy. Post away!!

I'm a little confused by your post. You said you keep forgetting not to drink after you eat? What are you eating? I know everyone's definition of post op diet is very different.

According to my dietician, my "full liquid diet" means "anything that will go through a straw", so I haven't had to worry about the eating/drinking timing combinations just yet. That is going to be a challenge for me - I'm so used to sipping throughout meals. I can retrain myself - I don't think it will cause you too much harm if you forget a few times in the process. I think its more about not washing the food down too quickly - defeats the purpose of having a smaller pouch.

Got to love a mani and pedi - great idea - I might book myself in for one this week :huh2:

Edited by Luscious

Congradulations on your surgery!

Ok...First of all stay on your post-op diet. You'll be fine. You need to stop obsessing over your band. It will be your friend for a long time. Remember, it's a tool and you have to be patient in learning how to work it. By the way, Dr. Hamn was my dr as well. I think he's great!

Yes there is a learning curve and it sounds like you are doing just fine. You will not hurt you band over drinking or over eating once. Like you said you knew it was too much so you won't do it again. Let your band teach you, Mine did. There will be new full ques, Like I sneeze when I am full. some

ppl burb. You will find you full que. Listen to your body and your band and quit worring about it. You will only hurt yourself if you know you are full and still keep stuffing. That is another thing to work on dealing with the head hunger, I still have to watch that and I have been banded 8 months now. As long as you are not throwing up or PB at lot (and you won't PB on liquids usually) You will not hurt your band. I look at it this way the band uses aversion therapy to teach you. I ate some bread and I felt like I had

a golf ball in my throat for about an hour so i didn't do that again. You will do just fine. Welcome to Bandland!!!

The best advice I can give you is to find an activity to occupy you when you begin obssessing!

I would go for a walk when I thought I needed to eat, or when nerves hit, or the "What IF's" took over! It got my mind occupied, and give me some much needed exercise. This time of year, the flowers are beginning to come out, there is much to look at, so walking was ideal!

If you feel like you overdid on the amount of full liquids you took in, walking will help that as well. Will help to just move around.

The not drinking rule is set up so that you do not wash food from the pouch too quickly, feeling full for a longer period of time, you will not cause pouch or band damage by doing it, you will simply feel hungry again sooner. Now that being said, I have almost caused myself to PB drinking too soon after a meal - but I am talking later into it, when I was eating real food. I think the drink, floated the food up and made me gag!!! Ewwww made me remember not to do that!!!

Sit down and make a list of things you want to accomplish, whether it be doing some long overdue filing, or trying on last summers clothes---and when you begin feeling anxious, or want to eat when you know you really are not hungry---get the list and do something off of it. It works----and you get extra things done, to feel great about!!!

Welcome to bandland!!! And POST AWAY!!!!

Kat

So as a newby, can we consume too much liquid? I'm 6 days out and also on the liquid stage of the diet. I'm drinking alot of fluids, it's nothing for me to drink 1-2 mugs of tea or Water at a sitting. By doing this am I stretching my pouch? Should I be restricting the amount of clear fluids that I take in?

Most Dr.'s suggest you limit each intake to a certain amount. If you are not feeling pressure in your chest--which would indicate the Fluid is filling the pouch and backing into the esophagus--and you are not in pain, then you are not stretching the pouch, it is open enough your Fluid is passing on through.

At least that is my understanding, if your directions from your Dr., show you should be taking in smaller amounts, then I would call and ask----that's why we paid 'em the good money!!!

But all in all, personally, I would not worry if I was not uncomfortable, with drinking the liquids.

Good job sticking with the liquids--THAT IS IMPORTANT!!

Welcome to LBT!

Kat