Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Formatting Complaint

Don't you remember the reputation power thing from before BBK? The little white scales on the bottom between the colored dot showing whether you are online or not, and the post report icon......you can click on it, and give others kudos-------or at least that is how I remember it being. It didn't last long before. Too many people I think used it like a High School Popularity thing....

Then again-----I may be all wrong----would NOT be the first time!!!! LOL

Kat

Don't you remember the reputation power thing from before BBK? The little white scales on the bottom between the colored dot showing whether you are online or not, and the post report icon......you can click on it, and give others kudos-------or at least that is how I remember it being. It didn't last long before. Too many people I think used it like a High School Popularity thing....

Then again-----I may be all wrong----would NOT be the first time!!!! LOL

Kat

HUH? I don't get it. Please help me understand!! LOL

HUH? I don't get it. Please help me understand!! LOL
If you like someone's post or dislike it, you can click on the little scale in the bottom left of the post. A pop-up will come up and you can click on "I approve" or "I disapprove" and also leave comments that only the person getting or losing the reputation point can see. I personally dislike it, because people can say some pretty nasty, hurtful things with it and use it to attack people, especially if the person they're going after tends to be rather outspoken (like myself). They can also tell their friends and have their friends go and make childish, mean remarks and remove your reputation points. That's why it got removed last time.

It's basically a popularity contest. If someone's very popular here, they tend to get lots of reputation points, even if they're giving out bad advice, etc. If they're not popular or have unpopular opinions, they tend to lose reputation points, even if they give good advice and help people all the time.

Back when it was first started, it was right when there was a huge, controversial thread in Rants and Raves. I had some unpopular opinions and wasn't shy about stating them. My rep power was practically in the negative numbers and some people made some rather nasty, childish remarks when they took rep points, just because they didn't like my opinions.

Edited to add: The idea behind it is good, people getting rewarded for making helpful posts. The actual function of it isn't, because it allows people to punish others. IMO, if they keep it around, it should be altered to where people can only give points, not take them away or leave messages.

Edited by laurend

Oh.

Well, thank you for explaining it to me. I'm not sure that I like that idea either. Maybe it was put back there to encourage people to be nice to eachother. I don't think I like the idea of a popularity contest though.

If you like someone's post or dislike it, you can click on the little scale in the bottom left of the post. A pop-up will come up and you can click on "I approve" or "I disapprove" and also leave comments that only the person getting or losing the reputation point can see. I personally dislike it, because people can say some pretty nasty, hurtful things with it and use it to attack people, especially if the person they're going after tends to be rather outspoken (like myself). They can also tell their friends and have their friends go and make childish, mean remarks and remove your reputation points. That's why it got removed last time.

It's basically a popularity contest. If someone's very popular here, they tend to get lots of reputation points, even if they're giving out bad advice, etc. If they're not popular or have unpopular opinions, they tend to lose reputation points, even if they give good advice and help people all the time.

Back when it was first started, it was right when there was a huge, controversial thread in Rants and Raves. I had some unpopular opinions and wasn't shy about stating them. My rep power was practically in the negative numbers and some people made some rather nasty, childish remarks when they took rep points, just because they didn't like my opinions.

Edited to add: The idea behind it is good, people getting rewarded for making helpful posts. The actual function of it isn't, because it allows people to punish others. IMO, if they keep it around, it should be altered to where people can only give points, not take them away or leave messages.

Laurend

I never noticed this before today (Rep Power) and never knew what those scales were about. Thanks for answering.

I agree that it could seriously be abused. I guess I will have to go click on it and see what comes up...

Laurend

I never noticed this before today (Rep Power) and never knew what those scales were about. Thanks for answering.

I agree that it could seriously be abused. I guess I will have to go click on it and see what comes up...

It's only been VERY recent that it was brought back, I think. It only lasted a couple of days the last time we had it.

The web site is currently work in progress. If you liked the old format/entry page you can just go to http://www.lapbandtalk.com/forum.html .

I REALLY appreciate the feedback - good or bad. Please keep it coming. I never take anything personally ;-)

Work in progress or not, I want to say a big THANKS! for all the hard work you obviously do. I get more information and entertainment here than almost anywhere else. The people are interesting and inspirational. You deserver an award or certificate or something to recognize your work here.

THANKS AGAIN!

:biggrin:

Work in progress or not, I want to say a big THANKS! for all the hard work you obviously do. I get more information and entertainment here than almost anywhere else. The people are interesting and inspirational. You deserver an award or certificate or something to recognize your work here.

THANKS AGAIN!

:biggrin:

DITTO

I could not live without LBT

(it's my transfer addiction:tongue:)

It's the GREATEST band community for support, education

You DO deserve an award Alex :lol:

DITTO

I could not live without LBT

(it's my transfer addiction:tongue:)

It's the GREATEST band community for support, education

You DO deserve an award Alex :biggrin:

Yep. I'll ditto this ditto!

What's up with the rep power assigned to each posting to the left under the poster's name and avitar?

Sue

What's up with the rep power assigned to each posting to the left under the poster's name and avitar?

Sue

See Laurend's response to this above - I quoted it in my reply to her..

It's only been VERY recent that it was brought back, I think. It only lasted a couple of days the last time we had it.

I clicked on it - looks like you could vote for yourself :biggrin::lol::lol::lol: or all your friends could vote for you- so that really defeats the purpose and if some one is pissed at you and then they get all their friend to vote against you.

I thought we were on LBT not Amercian Idol or Dancing with the Stars

:blush::scared2::wub:

Rep Power was enabled by mistake today. I was about to disable it when I came up with a great idea. I want LBT to be a positive place and we really need to stop any negativity that pops up every once in a while. With that spirit in mind, members can now only leave positive reputation:thumbup:

Rep Power was enabled by mistake today. I was about to disable it when I came up with a great idea. I want LBT to be a positive place and we really need to stop any negativity that pops up every once in a while. With that spirit in mind, members can now only leave positive reputation:thumbup:

That makes sense, Alex. It goes along with the old adage "If you can't say something nice about somebody, say nothing at all" :confused:

I also want to thank Alex for this site. I've learned so much in the short time I've been here. I've been able to figure things out for myself and ask questions of my professionals that I wouldn't have known to ask had I not accidentally stumbled on this site.

I'm still seeing the apple lady up top. I can't wait to see BBK! I don't want the apple lady to feel bad but I always think of Snow White when I see her. You know, "Here is a lovely apple, my sweet. Heh, heh!" Not that she EVEN LOOKS like the wicked witch but her pose is like totally offering forbidden fruit!