Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why can't pretty clothes be cheap?

I'm having to buy more new clothes, since I'm starting another part-time job (my 3rd one) tomorrow. I'm also hoping to get one that I interviewed for last week. And of course, I'm pretty darn broke right now. Went to Kohl's a couple of days ago and got a couple of pairs of khakis and a hoodie. I went and took them back today because I decided that I didn't really like them that much. Of course, while I was there, I picked up a pair of khakis (size 12 with no elastic!) that were made by a different brand, some dress socks, a new smaller nightshirt, and four bras (they were about 1/3 off) in a new size. Even though I've been trying to just get a piece or two of new clothing at a time, it's still getting expensive. So now, even though I took back the $80+ worth of stuff I'd gotten previously, I spent $150 to make up for it! :smile2: And if I get part time job #4, I get to go get MORE new clothes (YAY! and BOO! at the same time), because Dressbarn has a "business casual" employee dress code, and I have ONE "business casual" shirt and only two pairs of appropriate pants.

Oh I hear you! I'm down 25-30 pounds from last winter (I'm in the southern hemisphere) and have NO clothes that fit. I've forked out so much money to buy some pieces to transistion me from summer to winter because I work in an office and have to wear corporate attire but also want casual stuff to wear on the weekend. I love shopping, but I hate the massive dent it puts in my bank account!

Congrats on the jobs though Lauren!

Lauren

Congratulations on the job! :smile2:

Have you tried a resale shop? I buy alot of nice high end clothes at resale shops. Sometimes brand new with tags a fraction of the cost! No one will ever know unless you tell them!

Actually, you can spend a lot on clothes, but I'm really enjoying chain boutique shopping, lol. Places here like Sussan, Jacqui E, Portmans and even Target have great clothes that dont cost a bomb. I had to buy clothes for teaching rounds and with $700 I've got about 15 outfits, and I barely had to go outside Target to do it. I tend to go to the expensive stores, spy a look and then go and find the same pieces for half the cost in Target and put a very similar look togehter. I got all nice funky stuff like skirts and long boots and have a very nice wardrobe put together.

Of course, all different boutiques, but the point is, when I had to buy plus size I had to pay through the nose for it and could barely find anything even vaguely fashionable.

Try TJ Maxx and Marshalls. Maybe not the newest releases, but they have some cute name brand stuff for cheap!

I got my very favorite jeans ever there for $20 and they are Tommy Hilfiger (I also just bought some TH jeans at their outlet for $20 - they are the one brand that fits me well!). I almost wept when they got too big for me, then I found a pair in my new size on eBay. Whew!

Anyway, try TJ Maxx or Marshalls. :smile2:

I wish I fit into Target clothes Jacqui! For some reason all the work-type shirts there are mega long on me (I'm 163cm) and the pants are made for women with small waists and hips, neither of which I have. Although I am a fan of Sussan, Sportsgirl and Myer (especially Miss Shop) when I can snap up a bargain there.

I think I spend more money on clothes now too because clothes fit me at last. At my heighest weight I had 2 pairs of pants, a pair of jeans and 3 tops. That was it. Now I have an overflowing wardrobe full of clothes.....

Target has been a blessing. If you have Gordman's try there. I get a lot of business casual tops for work there, and haven't paid over $20 for any of them. TJ Maxx, Marhsall's, etc. - they're all pretty much the same store.

Yup, I have no problem with Target & Wal-mart clothes.

Also, I look online at my fav stores, and ONLY shop their clearance (otherwise I get in trouble), then google a discount code for free shipping or 10-15% additional off.

alight.com alloy.com oldnavy.com torrid.com fashionbug.com (I got some super cute dresses for work for under $10 bucks here a month ago) etc.

I always forget about fashion bug, but I've gotten really cute dresses there, and a super cute dress/sweater combo. CATO may be another place to look if you have them, cheap.

yeah if you have a fashion bug or cato in town, those are great places to find a lot of clearance items on their rack. Cato doesn't have online shopping, but FB does.

And a lot of their non-clearance items aren't bad either. I went to FB 2 weeks ago and got 14 shirts for under $200, and only 1 was on sale.

Old Navy is great too. I got a few really cute shirts on clearance for only $1.50 each...yup, that's right. I love bargain shopping...Woo Hoo!

I've found that if I am quick on the draw, I can find phenominal deals even at the stores at the malls, like Macy's, Dillard's and Nordstrom. I found a really beautiful top (regular size medium!!!!) at Dillard's on Saturday. It was made out of real silk with really pretty buttons, a name brand at regularly $79 and I got it for $19.

The problem with buying at those places is that you have to be there when things get knocked down the second or third time and be willing to paw through tons of stuff to find one great deal. I usually just don't have that kind of time or stamina and I'd rather go to Target or Wal-Mart. There you can just run in, go through the stuff very quickly and find really cute things. Wal-Mart and Target have the cutest bathing suits at great prices too! In the department stores, you can spend $80 on a swimsuit!! NO WAY.

I also find their shoes at Target to be great. I saw an awesome pair of name brand, in season, shoes last year - open toed, slings, with a low heel for $68 at Dillard's and a few days later I found practically the identical shoe at Target for $12! I bought them and checked out the ones at Dillards again while I was wearing the Target ones, and I swear you could never tell them apart if it weren't for the lining. They do some fantastic knock offs. And don't you love to shop at Target for practically everything?

I got two outdoor wicker-look chairs for my porch that were on sale there and everywhere else chairs like them were more than twice as much! And I even like the Target ones better than the expensive ones!

Congratulations on your jobs, Laurend!! And girl, you're setting the world on fire with your weight loss! Fantastic~~!! :)

Oh dang it - I think I really dated myself calling them bathing suits instead of swimsuits! I'll never learn!

I think you have to pick and choose between what you spend a lot on and what you will buy the cheaper version of too.

Everyday clothes, and work clothes, since I dont have to do high end corporate, Target and chain boutiqes/jeans stores are fine by me. I am not into labels at all, I just dont care as long as the garment looks right. I dont want them to last 10 years, I"m really not into investment dressing, or buying classics for the wardrobe. I dont care what it is, it will be ridiculously outdated in 10 years time. Cuts change, styles change, you cannot wear the same jacket for 10 years and look up to date. If I can get a formal dress for $59 instead of $259, I will, who cares what's on the label. How many times do you wear it afterall, and honestly, you cant even tell the difference. I'm like it with a lot of furniture as well, we have some antiques that we'll keep forever, but for bedroom suites and couches, rugs and prints, etc I dont WANT them for 25 years. They're outmoded and embarrassing after 10! So I wont spend lots of money on them.

Shoes, hmmm, dunno. Target here is probably different to Target there. I've got several awesome pairs of boots from Target, but their flatties and casual shoes look really cheap and tacky but nor would I ever buy a $200 pair of shoes - unless they're birkenstocks, lol. I wouldnt buy jeans at Target generally either, they're not cut well for me, and too short in the legs.

Bathing suits - not to disagree with Bjean because we're in different countries but I consider spending $150 on a Seafolly bikini well worth it. The top actually supports and lifts the bust, it holds me in, the suit is double lined, the fabric is chlorine resistant, its cut properly and straight, the quality is just there. Chain store bathing suits, ugh, they look horrid on me, my body looks like two pigs fighting under a blanket and my boobs hang out the leg holes!

Ditto bras and underwear, I pay top dollar for those becuase they really affect how your clothes hang.

And running/sports clothes. I'm not into cute matching outfits for every day of the week, but I find sometimes Im forced to spend for the features I want. YOu cannot buy a decent pair of running shorts in Target, you need proper running shorts, not any old cotton shorts. But I wont spend $150 for Skins when I can get lycra tights in Target for $15, lol. And I dont care what I wear on top, any old singlet will do. But its got to be a decent bra.