Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Keeping the weight off after lap-band removal support thread

I can honestly say that reading your posts may have saved my life. I found out this morning that I have to have my band removed on Friday and my insurance will not pay for a conversion to gastric bypass. Since getting the news I have been severely depressed, hopeless and feel like a complete failure. I left work because I couldn't stop crying - well, sobbing really. I don't mean to scare anyone - I would have gotten help but I started thinking about suicide just for a second because I do not want to live as the huge person I was when I got my band. I am feeling better now and you have all given me a new outlook, perspective and I feel rather hopeful. I have also been sitting and journaling while being home from work.

I haven't been able to eat well for months so I may go to WW to help me get into the swing or normal eating and portions for a person without a band. I also haven't been able to sleep laying down for several months (I sleep sitting straight up in a chair with one of those airplane pillows) so I think I will be able to think more clearly when the band is out and I can get some quality rest.

My doctor, psychologist, nutritionist, etc. have all told me that this is NOT my fault, it is just a rare side effect but I am still feeling like a failure and am very scared.

I am glad I read your posts, thank you for your positive outlooks.

Jennifer

Jennifer,

You are not alone. I felt the same way about losing my band. After I had my band removed, I'd come home from work and see a lap-band commercial on TV and break into tears.

I see from your signature line that you had an emergency surgery along the way-- so did I. Frustrating to go through that, still have problems, and still have to lose the band, isn't it?

YOU are not a failure. It appears to me your band failed you. It sucks. It's disappointing. It's frustrating and not comprehendable. But, YOU did not fail. Remember that.

Do you know why you are having problems? What was your emergency surgery for?

Good luck with your surgery and please let me know how you are doing.

((Hugs))

Please help me to understand what erosion is,,,,I have not been banded yet. and the sound of that scares me,,,,,,can it be prevented?

Hi melody_mary,

If you look at post 52, you'll see a description I gave another poster. You should know, though, that erosion is a rare occurance. I wouldn't let it scare me. And I can say that having been through it.

SElaine, my emergency surgery in September 07 was because my band had slipped. It is unknown why and it slipped in a way that my doctor had never seen before.

I have to have it removed because I am full of ulcers in my pouch and no matter how much medicine I take we can't get rid of them and my esophagus is at risk of cancer, Barrett's disease, etc.

Thank you so much for your support. I talked to the psychologist I go to once in awhile and he gave me some great feedback.

Dear Jen,

I am so sorry to hear of your troubles. I am fairly newly banded but your situation is something I fear. Have you throught of appealing the insurance decision to deny a conversion surgery? I heard Obesitylaw.com can help with that. Also, I don't know if you are open to this but some people do lose their weight (or some of their weight) without surgery. Obviously we would prefer a little help but the point is: there is hope !! Also, did they say getting a new band was out of the question again?

PS: THIS IS NOT YOUR FAULT AT ALL AND DON'T EVEN GO THERE

SElaine, my emergency surgery in September 07 was because my band had slipped. It is unknown why and it slipped in a way that my doctor had never seen before.

I have to have it removed because I am full of ulcers in my pouch and no matter how much medicine I take we can't get rid of them and my esophagus is at risk of cancer, Barrett's disease, etc.

Thank you so much for your support. I talked to the psychologist I go to once in awhile and he gave me some great feedback.

Good. I'm glad you talked to the psych and got some good feedback. I'm sorry this has happened. Right now we just need to focus on the overall picture and our health.

Are you doing anything to prepare for surgery?

I lost my band on Monday 6/18/08 after only having it for three months 3/18/08. I am heart broken, I was doing fabulous with my band. I had lost nearly 50 pounds since Jan 08 and many of those due to my band. I feel so depressed right now I cannot even explain and everyone keeps telling me I can do it on my own. Well, I have made going to the gym a regular schedule for me but I really relied on my band to help with Portion Control. TEARS. I wrote down everything I ate along with daily Protein, i even wrote down all the exercising i did. Now, where do i go from here? Im so depressed!!!

Crying in California

Paula

I lost my band on Monday 6/18/08 after only having it for three months 3/18/08. I am heart broken, I was doing fabulous with my band. I had lost nearly 50 pounds since Jan 08 and many of those due to my band. I feel so depressed right now I cannot even explain and everyone keeps telling me I can do it on my own. Well, I have made going to the gym a regular schedule for me but I really relied on my band to help with Portion Control. TEARS. I wrote down everything I ate along with daily Protein, i even wrote down all the exercising i did. Now, where do i go from here? Im so depressed!!!

Crying in California

Paula

Paula,

I am sorry that you feel sad. but in a way, it is a good thing not to have a foriegn body inside you :-) Here are some tips on how to keep the weight off:

- Keep exercising. That is going to be key to stabalize your mood, keep you energetic and burn calories. Challege yourself at the gym. Promise yourself to take it up a notch everytime you workout.

- always have a salad with your meals

- get your carbs from fruits and veggies

- chew chew chew. eat slowly. then ask yourself. "am I hungry? is this a good time to stop"

Portion control is by far my biggest challenge as well. So I always tell myself that the food is not going anywhere. I am going to stop eating now, give myself 30 mins, and if I am still hungry, I can eat the rest. Most of the time, I do not go back for the rest :-)

Good luck :-)

Paula, just continue as you are. Writing down what you eat and exercising.

Learn to make calm and rational decisions about food and how much to eat. Fill your small plate and take it to the table. Have only the salad and veggies on the table ready for seconds. If you really want something, it is a good idea to wait a half an hour and then have it if you want.

You can do it.

I hope you find better health.

Paula08,

why if i may ask did you have your band removed if you were doing so well? I have just had my surgery done on 30th and hate it tremendously and wondering how to get it out now. My insurance approved my surgery so i had a small copay but i have been nauseated ever since 24/7. I feel fine when i first wake up but once i start drinking Protein Drinks then i feel that way all day long till i wake up next morning. Doc told me to take malox and that doesn't help. I have my first appt. w/him on 8th and we will talk then. I called him over the weekend and he says this is normal and it comes with it but i'm barely getting 20 grams of Protein in and 200 caloires per day and have no energy and very depressed. hope to hear from you son.

Hi Everyone.....have not posted here for quite some time now!

Have had my Band for 4 years now, and have been very sucessful, down almost 100 lbs now, and was just told by my Dr that I need to have my Band removed due to severe acid reflux and problems with my esophagus. He has suggested the "Sleeve" as an option. He would do that at the same time as the removal. Have any of you had this procedure? I am completely unfilled right now, and having to really watch what I eat. Have a real fear of gaining the weight back!

I am not in distress right now, so have some time to think about my options, so would love to hear from all of you.

Hello!

I had my band removed on May 28th of this year. I was almost on my death bed, had turned yellow, liver and kidneys giving out and was thrilled to have my band out. I just couldn't keep anything down and hadn't had a fill in over a year. I was completely unfilled and starving. I was given the option of doing the sleeve or choosing other options but after paying so dearly to be bulimic for 2 years, I chose to have it removed and do nothing else. It's been 5 months and I've gained back 23 pounds. Mainly due to lack of exercise and poor decisions on what I'm eating. I've also lost my job, moved and am going through a divorce. However, with all that being said, I will never put a foreign matter in my body again to assist in weight loss. The emotional trauma was unbearable and I think it was because I was so nutrionally deficient. I've always been successful with weight watchers and walking. I lose about 5 pounds a month so in 6 months 30 pounds is not too bad. No matter what you choose, you'll have to be disciplined in anything (eating slower, no breads etc., and with the sleeve, 3-4 oz of food at a time). I wish you success with whatever you do but research the sleeve fully because that surgery is not reverseable. Good luck.

Wow that's a lot to have gone through along with band removal. Hope things are going better for you. I too had mine removed last month and am feeling better but at times the reflux returns so nothing is perfect. I came to LBT many months after my surgery but I think after reading the comps that I have read here I never would have had the surgery in the first place because it's almost a given that eventually it will have to be removed for one reason or another. I didn't revise either and feel great about that choice! Take care Nancy.:tongue:

Thanks Nancy! I know you'll feel better as time goes on. I don't know why you had your band removed but there is something about thinking that it's a quick fix. I know way too many people that have had nothing but problems from reflux, slippage, scar tissue around port, and tissue inside growing around the port. All of which require relief and perhaps another surgery. I'm happy to be free of the ongoing issues. :tongue: Thanks for the support and have a great day!

I was under the impression that all solid foods would be stopped by the restrictive qualities of the band and I was wrong. This was 8/07 and maybe that type of information wasn't given to all people then and certainly not to me. So when I was barfing after a bit of Protein and discovered that a cookie would go right through well that was that and I compensated for the lack of food with sliders and gained back the weight most of which I've lost now that I've had it removed. So it was a expensive mistake but one I won't make again. Luckily my insurance covered both surgeries! Thanks for your support also and take care Nancy.:thumbup:

I need your help. I had my lap band removed after three months due to difficulty in swallowing . Unfortunatley, I have muscle spasms in my esophagus. It is a very uncomfortable feeling and I am thinking of going to another surgeon-hopefully Southern California-for help. Please respond if you have heard of this problem or you had your lap band removed and are are not having spasms--feels like tightening -swallowing- issues. I am willing to go to another doctor if he/she can help!!!!! Private Dancer7

Have you lost your lap-band? Trying to keep the weight off or lose more on your own? Please join us here! We CAN do this!