Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ketosis induced headaches?

Holy cow, my head hurts! I do get your average Migraines, but these are something all together different. These new ones are coming with dizzy spells, and there is a distinct correlation between them and the liquid diet. Maybe it's the aspartame in the Crystal Lite? Maybe the utter lack of, uh, food? :huh2: The lack of concentration and lethargy is kind of bugging me, but I figure it's par for the course. It couldn't happen at a worse time (I've got two final exams new weeks, but what are ya gonna do...). The headaches, though. Not good.

Anybody else dealing with this?

TIA

-m

How long have you been on liquids? Do you have a history of true Migraines? Frequency of them?

Are you at a stage where your tongue is coated, your breathe stinks, your mouth tastes like old sweat socks? Is your urine much darker?

This is day three of the liquid pre-op diet. I had migraines back in highschool, and then had then crop up 8m ago. I"m followed by a neurologist for them (in fact, I just saw her on Monday), and have a protocol in place for their treatment (Topomax, Maxalt, 800mg Advil, Reglan PRN).

The dragon breath/taste is well on its way, and I can't tell about the urine because it's so diluted from drinking 64+oz of fluids/day. I haven't looked at my tongue, but will the next time I pass a mirror :huh2:

I'm about to hit the sack, so I'll take some Advil and call it a night. Hopefully that will help.

-m

When I was on a Ketosis diet a few weeks ago, I got the same symptoms you are describing. I had headaches, dizziness, mental fogginess and general irritability. Someone replied to one of my posts saying that those are just symptoms of the body going into Ketosis and would most likely have disappeared within another day or two, had I been required to stay on that diet longer.

I returned to eating normally and the symptoms disappeared.

Hope this helps!

-Theresa

Had the same symptoms when I was on the liquid diet from the ketosis. Very similar to Migraines in pain but they passed in about 2 days along with the rest of the symptoms. Only thing that lasted was the dragon breath. :huh2:

There is a state many people go through when newly introduced to low-carb eating, usually called "induction flu" (induction is the introductory phase of the Atkins diet) or "Atkins flu". It's temporary, and usually lasts 3 - 5 days. Many people who go through it come out feeling much better than before they entered it (clear-headed, extreme energy, etc.) Common symptoms include:

Feeling run-down or fatigued

Extreme headache that may not go away with pain relievers

"Flu-like" body aches

Shivers

Cold sweats

Dizziness

Nausea

Are you sure it's not dehydration??? Please be sure to drink plenty of Water.

Oh, definitely not dehydration. My teeth are floating from all this Crystal Light!! :redface:

-m

There is a state many people go through when newly introduced to low-carb eating, usually called "induction flu" (induction is the introductory phase of the Atkins diet) or "Atkins flu". It's temporary, and usually lasts 3 - 5 days. Many people who go through it come out feeling much better than before they entered it (clear-headed, extreme energy, etc.) Common symptoms include:

Feeling run-down or fatigued

Extreme headache that may not go away with pain relievers

"Flu-like" body aches

Shivers

Cold sweats

Dizziness

Nausea

Yep, this describes it almost exactly. Know what though? Today is day 4 and I"m not nearly as starving as I've been. It's 6:30pm, and all I've had today is two Optifast shakes and about 48oz of Crystal Light. I've still got one more shake today, and will probably have some hot tea to warm up. It's a beautiful day outside and I'm inside wearing a sweatshirt (I'm normally ROASTING ).

-m

When I was on a Ketosis diet a few weeks ago, I got the same symptoms you are describing. I had headaches, dizziness, mental fogginess and general irritability. Someone replied to one of my posts saying that those are just symptoms of the body going into Ketosis and would most likely have disappeared within another day or two, had I been required to stay on that diet longer.

I returned to eating normally and the symptoms disappeared.

Hope this helps!

-Theresa

T-

I've been thinking about you nonstop through all this. I have no idea how you stuck it out on the paltry meat diet. Seriously. Hats off to you.

How are you doing? I see you're progressing through the approval. Lemme know if you ever want to meet halfway (Westchester ???) :redface:

hugs

-m

Ketosis after lap band surgery is quite obvious and your case is slightly different. I know two people who had done this surgery but never encountered any kind of Migraine during ketosis. I believe the diet you are consuming is not in accordance with what a lap band patient should consume. Another reason can be that your exams are round the corner, so you are stressed up and this in turn is causing pain in your head. Relax for now because any kind of stress can become harmful for you. Take some pain killers and see if the pain gets subsidised or not. If it continues, my best advise would be to consult your surgeon.

I am a migrane suffer. Today is my surgery day. I had bruttle headaches. The worst is today - no food or drink. I found what helped was to just drink Water. I drink 2-3 litres a day. When I get up I have a cup of Water with lemon to start the day, then my Breakfast, coffee only after I have water and a bit of food. Then coffee & water sip between both. During the day if my headache was worse I would drink water & broth.

Good luck!

K

Holy cow, my head hurts! I do get your average Migraines, but these are something all together different. These new ones are coming with dizzy spells, and there is a distinct correlation between them and the liquid diet. Maybe it's the aspartame in the Crystal Lite? Maybe the utter lack of, uh, food?:huh2: The lack of concentration and lethargy is kind of bugging me, but I figure it's par for the course. It couldn't happen at a worse time (I've got two final exams new weeks, but what are ya gonna do...). The headaches, though. Not good.

Anybody else dealing with this?

TIA

-m

Thank you all, I had never heard of Ketosis; I assumed the Headaches, Dizziness, Fatique and Nausea was due to the pro-op diet, but I had no idea where the bad breath was coming from.

Now I know this is normal, thanks again...

LOVE Lap Band Talk...

Patti

I was fortunate to have been sick and only able to drink Water for the full week prior to my start of the LRD. So while being ill I went through the awful headachs and everything else that goes with the low carbs. This will pass, even though it stinks.

I will say that now that the coffee, pop, caffeine, carbs, etc are gone from my daily intake I have more energy then I have had in years!! Fat or not I have energy!! :D

Good luck and keep your chin up. It will pass soon!!