Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Other Newbies Scared of Gaining During the Different Diet Phases?

:frown: I had my surgery two weeks ago and am beginning pureed Protein stage tomorrow. I am down 15.7 lbs from surgery date (no pre-op diet) Anyone else scared of gaining? I know the reality is that I shouldn't, being that I am only adding 1 oz of pureed protein each meal, but the thought it just scaring me right now. I guess I'm hoping that I'm not the only one who's gone through this/felt this way...

We all have that sense of panic, I think. I did great and didn't gain any before my first fill DATE. But then -- I can't remember the reason, right now! -- the first fill got moved two weeks further out and I DID gain 4 lbs.

I felt absolutely horrible and ashamed walking into the surgeon's office, but, guess what? They didn't know I'd gained back 4 lbs and couldn't stop raving about how GREAT I was doing!

He even suggested that I could WAIT a while longer for my first fill if I wanted. I said, "NO! I'll take it now!"

LOL

No one can promise you that the scales will only ever move DOWN. You will see occasional spikes. But it's the LONG HAUL that you need to focus on. Over time, it WILL be a dramatic loss.

I've just spent 4 hours cooking 4 different types of yummy Soups ready for my operation in 72 hours time! YAY :-), Can't wait.

I've divided them into a mixture of tiny, mug sized, 'Cereal bowl' size and larger 'enough for two' sized pots. Then stuffed them in the freezer.

HAVE I WASTED MY TIME???

I've made enough for a couple of weeks worth of liquids and I thought that at least I know that there's not fat or additives in my Soup. They are yummy enough for my (very fussy) housemate to steal half of my batch of curried parsnip Soup to freeze for her dinner party on friday and another big bowlful for her lunch tomorrow.

That's all I'll be eating right?

I'm soo excited I can't think straight :-)

Gill x x

I too am afraid of gaining. I just started to go on the puree. I went to my dr today. I blew it. But found out that it you see I ate chicken not pureed. The Dr. explained to why I couldnt do that. The band can slip it if I do that. I wont do that one until I am suppose. Pulled out the blender.

Miki,

I am on my second week of mushies. The first few days I was really excited that I could eat different foods and not only shakes and Soups. But I was very scared about putting some weight back on. I had lost 19lbs since my pre-op diet. But this site has help me deal with the anxiety about gaining, I have not gotten on the scale but once and I was still at the same weight. I will not weigh myself until tuesday that I have an appointment with my dietitian... I am trying to focus on eating the foods that I can eat and trying to control my hunger that every day is getting bigger (like the Lion in the Lap-band comercial). Can't wait for my fill... Try not to worry abouth the weight, we are starting a new way of life and instead of the number of pounds we weigh we should learn to focus on making good food choices and getting helthy (Its hard for me but I am trying).

Hang in there

Giselle

I was very afraid....and I did gain.

When I started the mushies phase I gained 3 lbs starting week 2 po.

It happens, but it will come off. My surgeon told me to expect some weight gain bc the metabolism is adjusting from liquid to mushies to solids. I was so mad at first, but realized that it quickly came back off.

Also, How do I start a new thread as I can't seem to find a 'thread starter' button anywhere!

If you go to the top of the thread starting discussion and its about 2 blue bars down, far left a button before the various posts begin that says NEW REPLY - click it and you're off and running.

Sorry to tell ya this but, It happens... I did the liquid stage pretty much low carb. When I moved to the mushie stage low carb wasn't really an option and I gained 5 lbs back.:redface: I will go back to low carb when I hit the solid stage, I'll just do a little more walking during this stage and tone up a bit and in the end hopefully everything will be fine. :tongue: