Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mom of 3 boys, what do you do a Fast Food Rest. after Band?

I am hoping to get banded in 2 months (insurance willing!) I have 3 little boys and I know I will still have meals at the Fast food places now and then, even though we have been trying to reduce those as much as possible. What and where can you eat?

I bring my son to Mcdonalds and I get a grilled snack wrap

Low cal and high on the protien

Sometimes I will also get the parfeit (fruit and yogert)

I try to also get my son the healther items instead of fries he will get the apples.

It will all work out you will not want the fast food after the band the greese and stuff will make you sick.

Hey there...I have 3 kids too, 2 growing boys and a babygirl. We eat fast food maybe once a week, or every two weeks.

Thru trial and error, ive had to learn the things i can and cant eat, most of things I can eat, are salads. chicken breast is very hard for me right now, It almost always gets stuck.

Think of it as a great way to save money and lose at the same time :thumbs_up:

if you go to Wendy's their chili is delicious. At McDonald's I can get down most of a filet-o-fish (no bun), or a fruit and yogurt parfait. Some Burger King's have chili too. Side sald's are OK too if you can get them down easily, just watch the Salad Dressing calorie content.

Mine like subway. I have a little one, a picky one and a bottomless pit one. There is something for each there (ex:yogurt, baked chips, raisens, apples etc). Plus they can do a cheese sandwich and melt the cheese which is for the picky one. We still do McD ONCE in a while and I have salad but I feel guilty about feeding it to my kids. PS sometimes we take it to the park and eat on the way home, that way they can run off some calories and tire out before bed, it helps me get movin around too after sitting at a desk all day.

Once you are past your post op diet, you will find things through trial and error as was said that you can manage at most places. I can eat pretty much anything---and I do, I just eat soooo much less it is unreal!!!

Value meals are no more!

A shared kids meal with my granddaughter is much more likely!!

In the early stages, I stuck to Taco Bell so I could get refried beans---they were my favorite!!! Then Wendy's for the chili. Now I can eat the burgers, nd I can eat chicken without issue. I try to keep it within reason, and roll with it!

Part of the reason you are getting this band I bet is to enjoy the boys more....so do as someone said, get the food, hit the park, and let the enjoying begin!!! Don't put it off til you are in perfect shape---let them help you get there, and have some fun doing it!

Good Luck on your approval!! And welcome to LBT!!

Kat

Places I've been and what I get...

• Chipotle - chicken or carnitas bol
  • Subway - minisub in tuna or club
  • McD's (like twice - it's just not good) - fruit n' yogurt parfait
  • Sonic - popcorn chicken or cheddar peppers
  • Wendy's - baked potato
  • Schlotsky's - Soup or Thai chicken pizza
  • Taco Bell - pintos & cheese, or the meat out of a spicy chicken taco.
  • Taco Bueno - pintos & cheese, love theirs.
  • Panera - Soup & half sandwish combo, usually the Chipotle chicken sandwich and either baked potato soup or clam chowder. I'm normally done half way into the soup and maybe one bite into the sandwich, so it's either a few meals or DH gets the rest.
  • Chinese fast food - hot & sour soup, extra hot & sour.

Can't think of any others I've eaten at since banding. Chipotle, Subway, Taco Bell/Bueno, and Panera are the only ones I've been to more than once or twice.

I usually stay away from burgers - I find them too hard to chew enough. I like the McD's fish sandwich with either no bread or a little of the bottom part. I also get whatever sandwich I want and don't eat the bread. I cut everything up because it helps with bite size. I do eat chicken nuggets occasionally (don't shoot me!) but the two younger kids and I get a 10-piece and share it. Only one kid likes fries, so if we get any at all, I just have couple. I still love them, but I'm satisfied with just a couple instead of eating a large! We don't eat a lot of fast food, but it is usually McD's because I can get the apples and milk for the kids.

I like Chipotle and usually get at least two, usually three, meals out of it. I don't eat KFC at all - it always makes me sick. At Wendy's, I get a chicken sandwich or chili. I'm not a big salad eater. I'd rather have more Protein and eat the Tomato that comes on the sandwich as my veggie. I also really like pizza, but I don't eat much of the crust. I fill up too fast and feel bloated. I just eat the toppings. I used to do that as a kid and it drove my mom nuts. I feel vindicated.

Thanks to all! good to know it is workable. I am not really distressed about "giving up" foods, except maybe sushi and soft white bread. I have never drank soda , so that will be easy. Really, eating at restaurants or in a group is what I am most curious/nervous about. Seems like everyone adjusts just fine. I am so sick of waiting and ready to start my journey!

There's nothing saying you will have to give up either of those foods. I had sushi this weekend, and part of a sandwich (on soft white bread) yesterday.

I have trouble with all fast food except Wendy's chili and taco bells Beans sometimes I can get a hard taco down (soft tacos get stuck) but I usually stick to the beans. I just wanted you to know that I am super tight right now, but I just braved my fear of being stuck and ate sushi- it went down just fine. Oh man was it wonderful too! Just make sure to cut it up in really small bites. I know cutting it up is crazy and people give you looks, but hey it was something I was really missing and I am glad to know I can eat it. Plus to top it off it is healthy! Yeah!!!!

For stuff like McDonalds, its something I would let my kids have maybe once a month. When we do have McDonalds, its almost always in the food court at the shopping centre, so I'll get a coffee while they eat. And our Maccas all have McCafe's now, so you can get a decent coffee there.

I dont think I've eaten the stuff for maybe 2 years. It just turns my stomach now, I never DID particularly like it, all the bad press, I just see my arteries filling up when I walk in the door, lol.

So basically if they're eating something like that, I just dont eat. I eat later when I get home.

The entire food court is like that to me now, the only healthy options are simply enormous sandwiches that cost you $10 to eat 1/4, the Chinese places, that stuff is full of MSG, yuck, I dont like McDonalds or KFC, Sushi from a food court is food poisining waiting to happen, horrid donuts that have been sitting behind glass for the entire day, I usually end up electing to eat nothing.

McDonalds and stuff like that is always a treat for the kids, never a family meal for us anyway, and never was. Its always a lunchtime thing before a movie or something, I dont think I've EVER eaten it for dinner in my lifetime, come to think of it.

My DH was single for a few years before we married (following his divorce) and he got in the fast food habit.

It has been a hard thing to break!! Lots of years have passed now, and still to this day I can ask him what he wants for dinner, and he will think a minute and say "Let's just go grab a Big Mac" the BEST thing I have ever done to break that habit is get banded!!!!

Now he will say it, immediately followed by "Oh yeah we can't do that!"

He gets his fix at lunch now!!! Or waits til his days off and plays the spoiling Grandpa---like it is such a hardship for him to take the kids to Mickey D's!!

Kat