Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you decide on a goal weight?

Just wondering if your goal weight was decided on by your doctor, or is it a number that "you" would be happy with...I am 5'4" and I would be happy to be a size 10...so if I am 150 lbs and a size 10, that would be great...but if I were to use the charts that docs use, I probably should set my goal to about 125. I figure if I get below 150...hate to use a food analogy...that would be gravy, lol.

I am thinking the same as you. My doctor chart is some ridiculous number thats around 120. I would be happier around 150... I am 5'3" so were pretty close.

My doctor said that he wasn't going to give me a number as a goal he said he was looking for healthy lab results and how I feel.

My Dr said to shoot for 140, I said 125 because I remember how I looked at 125 & at 5'1 that seems totally realistic. My last visit, he agreed as I'm pretty close to the 140 mark, he just didn't think I could get "there" w/out plastic surgery early on. I've been lucky not to have any sagging skin, my tummy went flat, and the thighs / butt are "starting" to firm up decently.

There are a lot of threads that talk about goal weight - In the end you set whats right for you....and you may change along the way - there is no absolute & btw I hate those charts!!!!

I actually discussed it with my WLS team. I picked an absolute goal and a "Christmas Wish" goal. Everyone was in agreement that my goals were reasonable and achievable, so there it was. We'll see what happens from here. :ohmy:

Tonya, I am currently a size 16/18 at 5'8". While most say 165 is a good weight me and my surgeon agreed that size 14/16 would be good for me. I may be 200 lbs and not the standard 165 to get there. He agreed to write me a note to Weight Watchers so I could become a lifetime member. Its all about size as far as I'm concerned. Julie

First I set the top of my health weight range. But only "on paper" becuase the nutritionist told me point blank I would never reach any lower, that lap banders dont. I knew I was aiming for 75kg (about 170lb) as my first goal.

I havent been fat all my adult life, I hovered around 170lb most of my twenties, I knew it was a pretty good weight but still a bit chunky on my frame (I'm 5ft 10). I knew 70 was where I'd want to get to.

As I approached 72kg or so I realised that if my fat bum was ever going to go, I was going to have to get down to the bottom end of my healthy weight range, I'm a lot lighter framed than I ever realised.

Those last 5kg have just dripped away at like 1lb a month, lol. Its taken aaaages. This mornign I hit 69.8!!!! I have never weighed under 70kgs since I was a young teenager.

Now I'm thinking about 67kg (which would be somewhere in the mid 140lbs). Despite my arguing about getting "too skinny" in other posts, I am thinking that I really have to accept the shape of my behind and the amount of flab there, that I cant just keep losing and losing in the hope that it will disappear. Its not going to. I have cellulite, fact of life. Its either a lower body lift for me (which I really dont think I have enough of a problem to justify the expense, risk or pain) or just live with it.

So my goal "might" be 67kg - I'm not sure, lets just see whether I keep losing or not. At the moment I'm in another losing phase. But I wont "try" to lose anymore after that and if I keep going, I'll have to consider an unfill.

My doc said "Let's shoot for 140." I said "Fine, I have the final say." He said, "You bet."

That was how I got my target.

Right now it's nothing more than a direction to head toward, and may change many times between here and there. I'm far more concerned with my blood test results and getting rid of diabetes than I am of what my weight actually ends up being.

Edited by Hastings
to add information

I just divided my start weight in half, which also happened to be in the middle of the healthy BMI scale, and that was that. Never thought I'd actually get there.

My docs picked 150 -- it's near the top of the weight range for my height with a few lbs of wiggle room.

In the past, 150 lbs on my body shape is a size 12 for pants -- I'm thick waisted with a belly. While size 12 is marvelous compared to 26/28, I think I'd rather be slimmer. So I'm aiming for 140. (in my fantasy world, I'd be 125 or so and a size 6/8, but I need to be realistic :ohmy:)

i went by my BMI. 150 pounds for my height and age is "ideal" which would mean i need to lose right around 120 lbs. but i will be happy once i reach 100 lb loss :ohmy:

I picked the weight I was in high school and college which is 120. I've shrunk an inch so I am now 5'3". However, I also decided that when I reach 140, I will take a close look at myself and decide if I want to continue losing weight. If I chose to continue, I will re-evaluate my goals every five pounds. I want to look and be healthy and if 120 is too low, then I will will make those adjustments.

Those charts are right IMO. I decided to use the BMI scale.

I am 5'5 and to get my BMI to a 25, I should weigh 150. That's how I set my goal.

Right now my goal is 140 pounds ( I'm five feet tall). My lowest weight ever as an adult was 128 and I was MUCH, MUCH younger then. My Dr said 150 or 160, but I reminded him how short I am. I guess I'll just evaluate as I get closer.

It's easy to feel and look so much better when we drop 50 or 100 pounds (even if we have more to go) and so we settle in to that weight and that's ok, if we are happy there. I find myself doing the same thing. I prefer to work until I can get to a size that is easy for me to go into a store and find an outfit that fits well, so that is my goal.

It's about being happy and comfortable with yourself. You'll know when you're there!

At age 24 I weighed 118. I know I will never weight that again at age 48. No matter how hard I try. Would I even want to? I was awfully thin......I am 5'4". I set my goal weight at 130 and ran it by my doc. He felt like even that was a little unrealistic. He set my goal weight at 140. so I stuck with that. If I go a little under, great. If not, I'll be happy.