Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

getting banded on april 8th

hi all

i have been on this site for a few days and already made some wonderful friends and got great advice. i even found a band buddy that is having the band the same day as i am. she gave me lots of info. i am 43 and have one beautiful daughterof 22 months and a great husband. i need to lose about 150#s . i was overweight almost all my life but the last 2 years it really took a toll on my health. i want to do this for me and also for my daughter gracie. i want to be there when she groes up. its 2 weeks till my surgery i am from green bay wi and i am a surgical tech i am going to have my surg in tj mexico by dr kuri

when

you work in the is expecially in surgery you have a mind set of never going to mexico for any medical anything. and when my sister(also in medical field) said

she was going to dr kuri i said she was nuts. she finally convinced me and showed me info that he was good and safe. also my insurance will not cover a thing and i cannot afford it in the states. so i am going 4/8 i aam on a liquid protien diet befor i go to get banded per dr kuris orders and it is so hard.i feel like if i can't do this how am i going to do it after. anyone else have to do this i need support!!!!! i have had Jello everyday and i cant stand the liquid stuff i gag it down i would rather have nothing.

also i am tring to ween off cafine i am a big diet mountain dew drinker and that is very hard and i get headaches. did anyone else have this problem and how are you coping with it nowlet me know

chris

l

How much are you paying for the surgury? My was about $9000.00 here in Seattle, WA. If I would have gone through one of those Weight loss centers, it would have been 17,000.00 because of all their classes and advertising.

And the doctor's up here are great. I am Mexican and still wouldn't go to Mexico because you can't take them to court if anything goes wrong.

And the doctor's up here are great. I am Mexican and still wouldn't go to Mexico because you can't take them to court if anything goes wrong.

That's a big drawback to going to Mx, which I am with Dr Kuri on 4/8. Here's my perspective, and it's just mine, thought I'd throw it out there.

When I had decided to go to Kuri, I started hearing about clinics doing the band for comparable prices, 9K, 12K, etc and considered pursuing them, to avoid the MX issue. But for me, I am spending basically the same amount of money on the surgery and the airfare (and other related expenses) to go see a Dr I don't know much about who couldn't possibly be as experienced as Kuri (who has been doing Lap Bands for 8 or 9 years and has placed well over 1200 of them, and uses Inamed Bands) and I still have the issue of local aftercare. I guess for me, I'm going with experience and a great track record, hoping that no complications will arise and I get home with a healthy Band placement.

My money is going to pay for the best Band placement I can get. That's what I'm paying Kuri for, and if I didn't think I'd get it, I certainly wouldn't go. Honestly, I don't like the risk, but for me it's just as risky going to a less experieinced Dr who probably uses a day clinic with no overnight hospital stay which is what is so costly in the US. Yes, I can sue if needed, but the liklihood of needed to sue Kuri (which I couldn't) is less than if I used a less experieinced unknown Dr. But the jury is still out. I haven't had my surgery yet! Just wanted to put my thinking out there in case it helps others to decide either for or against going to MX. Mexico is definately not for everyone.

Hey Norma, my sister-in-law is Mexican-American and her family feels the same way about surgery in MX! Wouldn't do it, nope, never. I'm so glad you are embracing your Band. You are doing a great job!

April 7th is my day with Dr Kuri I can't wait Ill see you there

Sunshine, check out the dates on this thread...it was a year ago! We have been banded a year! well, almost. You have reminded me to look up my friend Chris, I haven't talked with her in a while. We DID meet in MX and got our bands on April 8th. Wow. A whole year, and what a difference it makes!

Have a safe and successful surgery on the 7th. It's gonna be a great day!

Hi, I'm new here, just started going to all the Dr's for clearance. After a year of thinking about it I'm finally going to do it. I weighed 260 when I went for my first appt. That's the biggest i've ever been. My family is alittle nervous about me getting the lap band. I've been reading your posts for the last week, gathering info. What I want to know is do you feel hungry that first month ? I'm afraid I'll feel like I'm starving.

Dear Maebeth--definitely not an expert I am 6 days post band. I am definitely not hungry yet...my mind has played with me a bit and things "looked good" but I am purely on liquids and it's hard to imagine real food at this point! :phanvan I know that the hunger will return but am praying it stays away as long as possible! I probably have about 160lbs to lose and praise God in 6 days have lost 20lbs....so seeing the pounds drop is HUGE motivation for me! Praying for your success!! Melody

Hi i gonna be banded 26th april, i am from London England i am going to brussles to have the op.

really looking forward to it,havent been told to go on any special diet beforhand (as yet anyway)is that the norm i am 233Ilb got about 115 to loose.

Have to arrive 2 days before surgery for blood test ect.

would love to hear from anybody if it was the same for you

well done good luck

tracylou

My surgeon was only a couple hours away...he had me do my blood, EKG, UGI and urine tests 2 weeks before the surgery through my local doctor then the day before the test I started a liquid diet to make sure I didn't eat a big huge "last meal" and cause me problems the next day. :eek: Which I'm sure I would have if I had the opportunity!! I know me!! Hope this helps!! God Bless

Melody

Banded 3/20/06 -22lbs but no scale the last 5 days to check! :eek: