Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery this Wed. March the 30th

I have only posted on here a couple of times so I know most of you don't know me. My name is Amber and I am having lap-band surgery next Wednsday. I am excited but getting a little scared. I guess mostly I am scared of failure because I am on this 10 day pre-op diet and tonight had such strong cravings and hunger pangs. I allowed myself to cheat (just a very small peice of lean chicken breast) and I feel so guilty about it. I keep telling myself if I can cheat like this now then what about after the surgery when swelling has went down and I am just before having a fill. Will I be able to keep from gaining weight back that I have lost in the liquid phase? I am so very scared of failure especially since we are paying out of our own pockets for this. Don't get me wrong I am very excited as well just having some of those "pre-surgery gitters" you all talk about. I have done very well on this diet until today when I cheated a little tonight. I suppose I shouldn't beat myself up about it. Does anyone on here ever get so overwhelmed by how much weight they have to lose? I just had my first child (one of the reasons for wanting to get healthy) almost seven months ago and after having him I lost thirty lbs weighing about 250lbs. Since then I have gained 30lbs although not changing my eating habbits, and still this gain. I did find out however, that I have a VERY VERY underactive thyroid for which I am now on medication (have been for almost a month now). I just wish I hadn't gained that thirty lbs because it is going to be so hard to lose. Gosh I am so glad there is a board like this that I can use to vent. I really appreciate anyone who reads this post. I know you guys hear a lot of what I am saying over and over so thanks again.

Amber, congratulations on your upcoming banding! And a very special congratulations for your 7 month old baby! What type of diet does your dr. have you on right now? Banding is a journey, not a race. Please try to take it just one day at a time and don't concentrate on the whole picture. That can be overwhelming. Just give each day your very best shot ....what you eat, regular exercise, and plenty of Water (but not w/meals or 1 hour afterwards). That weight will come off.

The time after your banding (and before your first fill) is to concentrate on healing. Some people do actually gain some weight during this time. Others lose. Are you still nursing your baby? If so, you need to concentrate even more on eating healthy -for you and your sweet little one. Also, your thyroid medication will help you get things back in order. The band is a wonderful tool and we're among the lucky ones that got the chance to use it.

Just about any ?? that you have - can be found in the "search" portion of LBT or can be answered by someone here. Best of luck to you and please keep in touch with us.

Hi Amber. I think everything you are feeling right now is normal. This surgery is going to change your life. Make sure you set little mini goals for yourself. I made the mistake of setting really unrealistic goals as far as my weight loss went....then was very depressed when I didn't meet those goals. Now I set little goals and am much happier. The NSV's (non scale victories) are great also.

Remember, everyone here will help you on your journey. The love and support you get from everyone here is awesome.

Thanks Molynn and New Hope for your replies. I am no longer nursing my son, but sometimes I wish I was. I miss it very much.

As far as the pre-op diet I am on, right now I am on the 8th day of it. The first seven days consisted of two Protein shakes a day and 4 oz of lean meat along with a cup of steamed veggies at dinner. The last three days (first day was today) are to consist only of three protien shakes a day and sf popcycles and Jello or broth. Today was VERY VERY difficult because it was Easter. We had three places to so that our son could hunt eggs and show off his outfit (with Mommy and Daddys help of course he is only 7months old on the 5th of April). So anyway, at each place of course there was a plethera of food. food has never looked so good to me!!!!! LOL but I resisted and I did not cheat, not once! I am proud of myself but I found myself a little depressed. You know I keep seeing all this talk about our "relationship with food," and I guess that phrase has really impacted my life the past weak or so because my relationship with food is ending, at least as I know it. But my relationship with life is just beginning and so that is one way of looking at it. I used to think that learning how to breastfeed my son was the hardest thing I have ever done, and up until this point it was. THIS IS THE HARDES THING I HAVE EVER DONE, but also probably the best! Thanks for the support! I look forward to gaining a few friends on this board. By the way, does anyone know how to change your signature???????????? I don't even know how to access it. Thanks

Amber,

I too went through all of the emotions you are having. I was an emotional roller coaster! But congratulations on your band date! Wow, it is coming soon! I was very assured during my "freaking out" stage that the emotions are all very normal.

I wish you much luck in recovering quickly!

Your signature.... got to User CP in the top blue bar and click on edit signature :D

April). So anyway, at each place of course there was a plethera of food. Food has never looked so good to me!!!!! LOL but I resisted and I did not cheat, not once! I am proud of myself but I found myself a little depressed. You know I keep seeing all this talk about our "relationship with food," and I guess that phrase has really impacted my life the past weak or so because my relationship with food is ending, at least as I know it. But my relationship with life is just beginning and so that is one way of looking at it. THIS IS THE HARDES THING I HAVE EVER DONE, but also probably the best!

Good for you for getting through a holiday with so many goodies to tempt you! I love your statement that your relationship with life is just beginning!! That is so true! Best of luck to you on your banding! Please let us know how you are doing after your surgery.

Ezzysmom, look at it this way. That was the LAST Easter you'll spend being too heavy to have the great time you should have. Next year and all the years following as your son runs around hunting for eggs, you'll be right there with him. :D Congratulations on resisting, and however hard the next four weeks feels you KNOW it's only temporary.

When I started my banding journey it could have been said that I had 180 lbs to lose. Phooey. That's if you look at the weight charts for someone my height and discard the fact that I've NEVER weighed even close to those charts. If I'd felt in any way that success meant 180 lbs off, I would have given up right then and probably had a heart attack by now.

Instead I've tossed the whole idea of even having a goal weight, and just work on making myself healthier. In the process I've lost 110 lbs and know that realistically I can probably lose another 40-50 and be anyone's idea of normal. Right now I'm MY idea of perfect. :D

And next Easter, you'll be well on your way to the same thing. Don't think about some long-term unattainable goal that will just discourage you along the way, think about the little victories that day by day make your life more enjoyable. :D

Hi Amber and welcome! Oh, yes, you should have seen me in my freak-out stage--I couldn't have been wound tighter than that one night! Hard to believe that night was just 3 weeks ago!

oh yes, if I let myself think about the fact I need to loose about 100 pound.. well, that seems pretty unrealistic. Instead, I am focusing on loosing sizes, and then I'm just focusing on just loosing one size at a time. I have my ultimate goal size in mind, but only in the back of my mind.

Guest Vauren

Congratulations Amber! All the best to you. I don't think one piece of lean chicken was all THAT bad of a cheat...in fact my surgeon had told me to have that at night before my surgery. You'll do fine and have so much fun with your little one afterwards, now that you'll be able to move more and have more energy! Just don't lift him for a while afterwards! You don't need a band slipping or a hernia.

Vauren

Banded...less than a week ago

Lost 9 pounds so far

Hi Amber and welcome! Just wanted to say good luck with your surgery. Please post and let us know how you are doing when you can. In the meantime, browse through the posts and learn everything you can.

I allowed myself to cheat (just a very small peice of lean chicken breast) and I feel so guilty about it.

This is cheating?!!!

Okay, I know what you mean and understand what you are saying, BUT, a little perspective here. If this is cheating, girl, you are gonna do just fine. Don't beat yourself up and don't let it get any worse than that, let it go, move one, etc, etc. Congrats on your band date! Have a great surgery and an even better recovery, be sure to check in with us.

Welcome Amber & the very best of luck on your up coming surgery. I too think that your little"cheat" was very respectable. You've done awesome! Give yourself a little credit...Ok I will...

JOB WELL DONE AMBER!!!!

LOL_LOL_ Anyhow you'll do just great w/the band I am sure- Make smart decisions like you already have;0)

All I can say is WOW! I have never had such warm responses on any forum I have ever been on (I used to frequent a forum that dealt with infertility issues before I got pg w/ my son). I just want to say that you all have made me feel so welcome on this board. From reading the posts on this board for several months, I have learned that people here are truely, and genuinely caring. I am so thankful for that. I look forward every evening to having conversations with all of you. Only one thing though. Does anyone know how long after the surgery you have to wait to climp stairs because my computer is upstairs. Oh No! How will I ever make it if I have to wait to tell you all about my surgery and get your feedback every day of my recovery? I hope the wait won't be too long. Thanks again everyone. I am so much more optimistic now.

.....And about the chicken.........in hindsite I realize I could have done MUCH MUCH worse.........

You'll be climbing the stairs as soon as you are up and about. I worried about putting socks on and stuff like that, but really, there was very little I couldn't do by the time I was out of hospital. Reaching up high was a bit painful but soon went. I was cycling 10 days after the op - but probably shouldn't have!

I totally relate to how you are feeling about your relationship with food. I found the first two-three weeks really easy post op. I don't feel I have enough restriction now and proabably need a fill but watching the scales twitch down is so good it keeps me going.

And as for your 'cheat' - pulease....do NOT beat yourself up about a piece of chicken. It's important that you follow your doctors advice but remember many docs don't ask you to fast at all. I didn't. You haven't done anything wrong.

Good luck!