Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all im new and i love this site! I am meeting with the surgeons on May 1st wooopeee and dont know what to expect... do i really need to loose weight before the surgery? waiting to hear from all!!

Hi! I am from Boston. My surgery date is April 8th. Good luck with meeting your docs. I have been wondering where all the Boston people are.

I am from Sharon MA, work in Boston and hopefully will be having surgery at the Brigham....I see Dr. Lautz May 8th...cant wait to get things rolling!

Kim

Hello

I work in Boston and was banded at Beth Israel Hospital on 3/17/08. I enjoyed all the staff there and very helpful. I am glad I started the process in November 2007, and looking forward to new me. Welcome - I love the website also! Two weeks before my surgery date I was given a diet to follow mostly liquids during the day with one meal in the evening. I was told by losing weight before surgery it will make your liver smaller and lighter to lift during surgery and it helps the surgeons. Also, I had to walk 30 minutes a day or some sort of exercise. I really feel that it helped when after surgery you are on liquids for another three to four weeks. Good luck!

Edited by sisterc
Forgot something

Hello!

I'm from MA, but about 45 minutes north of Boston... In Dracut. I am having my surgery done at Lowell General Center for Weight Management. I can't wait... I'm hoping for a mid-May surgery. I was not told I had to go on a pre-op liquid diet before surgery, but told to lose 5% of my body weight before they would do the surgery. What hospital are you having the procedure done at?

Good Luck and Welcome!:cursing:

Welcome to the Group! I was banded this past Monday 3/31 at Beth Israel in Boston. Im doing pretty good!

Hi Mamaof3:

I read that you are having your surgery in Norwood on 4/8. Congratulations. You must be one of the Glasgow's patients. Dr. Adam did my band, and on 4/17 he'll be taking out my gallbladder. Do you have Dr. Adam or Dr. Arthur as your surgeon? One of them assists the other, so you'll really have both during surgery. Dr. Arthur helped me out twice when I had issues.

Did I see you at support group? The last one was very crowded, not usually that many people there, and usually not that hectic. I was the blond middle-aged woman on the couch.

You picked a great group. I'm very pleased with both of the Dr's. Glasgow and their entire group.

Good luck, let me know if you have any questions because I've been there and done that.

Take care.

Sue

hey everyone :tongue:

i am way down in southeastern mass but am meeting with dr. vernon at the brigham for my first consult on 4/28...i can hardly wait to get this process started! i already went to the info seminar where i met dr. vernon...i really liked her and am glad she was the presenter that day. i am hoping to have surgery some time in june...not sure if that is too ambitious or not, but my hubby has the whole month of june off so that time frame would be perfect for me.

i have wanted to do this for years but have finally convinced my DH that i really need to do something about my weight in a serious way...i know the band isn't a magic cure but i need help...my diets always start out great and then my will breaks and it all comes back with a vengeance...

how long have you'all been on this journey?

gingin

Hi Sue,

I was at the support group and yes it was very crowded. Arthur is my doctor. I met Adam at the seminar and he was very nice. The 8th is coming really fast.

Hello! I'm from Worcester, and yes they do make you lose weight before the surgery, usually like 5-10%. They do it to shrink your liver and make the operation easier. Good luck on your journey!!!

Hey I'm from Attleboro. I'm hopefully being banded by Dr. Adam Glasgow at Norwood Hospital too, however I'm still doing all my pre-op stuff, so everything is still not 100%. I've already met with the nutritionist and I have my bloodwork, pcp meeting, sleep lab, and psych eval all within next thursday and friday so that should be exciting (er, exhausting). Sue, I keep finding you on a bunch of different threads lol, how long did it take after you finished all your appointments for Dr. Glasgows office to contact you/have the appointment/get approval from insurance/have surgery? Lol I know thats a lot of questions, I'm just curious about the time frame because I'm still going to school over the summer. Thanks :thumbup:

Oh yeah and the Dr. didn't mention anything about loosing weight. If I lost weight I don't think I would qualify for surgery though, because my BMI hovers around 40-42. If you have a lower BMI do they still want you to loose weight??

Sorry for hopping in to a discussion among Bostonians, but I thought I'd try to catch the OP's question.

The 2 reasons to lose weight pre-op are 1) lower the weight - lower the risk of any surgery complications and 2) losing weight (especially by cutting carbs & sugar) will shrink your liver, making your stomach easier to access during surgery.

Good luck all....